• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bernie

Fat Bastid

Coach
Bugger Mr Mayhew's letter on Page 10, what about Bernie's half page "Fizzer" on page 51?

Pulls no punches about Mr King/Mr Martin.

Basically, he is asking how the club can be run with one board member there for 3 days and the other less frequently than that!  Good point!

Also ask's how the club could allow contract negotiations to wait until after the season has finished!  Again, very good point!

It also ask's how Torquay can pay wages along the lines of Constantine's demands on smaller gates than ours? Again, very good point?

Bloody good article but too big for me to reproduce on here! (Too busy at work!!!!)

Top pop Bernie, well done mate they deserve it!

Are articles like this one available on line anywhere?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 04 2004,08:32)]Are articles like this one available on line anywhere?
rock.gif
I believe you can access them through something like Yahoo but christ knows how!

Napster would probably be the best one to ask!

First thing i would like to know his source for the Torquay claim.

Also since not being the Echo reporter his columns have always been filled disdain for anything Southend Utd. Is it a directive he has been given by the editor to always go for the negative view or really how he feels??

You know these journalists will write anything for the right price.

I thought it was a good article.

It asked the sort of questions that everybody wants asking. His point about the club being run by men who are not at the club very often, does make you wonder how devoted they are to SUFC.

Remember, you cant say anything against the club. Its run brilliantly and the men running it are nice people.

Geoff King isnt at all arogant either.

And obviously clubs like Torquay are ' breaking the bank' if they can offer competitive wages.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ June 04 2004,08:51)]First thing i would like to know his source for the Torquay claim.

Also since not being the Echo reporter his columns have always been filled disdain for anything Southend Utd. Is it a directive he has been given by the editor to always go for the negative view or really how he feels??

Andee, you are spot on. I get the feeling he's on some sort of vendetta. It's all very well criticising every now and then, but journalism is all about balance. Even some of us hard-nosed cynics can congratulate the board every now and then...

BTW, for the record, Maher and Cort haven't left, and I have no idea about the £1,500 wage. But, again, the wage cap comes into play. Do you pay one prima donna a couple of grand a week and get loads of cheap rubbish? No, of course you don't.

Bernie Friend I bow down to you, at last someone has the bollox to raise the issues that need to be raised.

Bernie is like us Southend through and through but unlike many of us he is in a wonderful position with his work, were he can vent his feelings on a bigger stage.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS Cockles @ June 04 2004,09:15)]Bernie Friend I bow down to you, at last someone has the bollox to raise the issues that need to be raised.

Bernie is like us Southend through and through but unlike many of us he is in a wonderful position with his work, were he can vent his feelings on a bigger stage.
In some respects, I agree, Cockles. But the Echo is not that big a stage.

I know Bernie's a fan, but all he writes is negativity. There is a time for negativity, sure, but not when we're trying to convince players to stay and players to join.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ June 04 2004,08:51)]First thing i would like to know his source for the Torquay claim.

Welcome to the real world, not everyone can follow Southend through the Rose Tinted Glasess of Shrimperzone......

sh*t that sounds like a real bad dig at ShrimperZone, and its not, Just seems like the bored is so pro Martin/King that if anyone has the bollox to stand up to them they are shot down in flames.

Were Southend United of course we all love and want to see the team and club do well,but we also support the name and the history of the club

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS Cockles @ June 04 2004,09:25)]Were Southend United of course we all love and want to see the team and club do well,but we also support the name and the history  of the club
Thats a very good paragraph,why we support the club.

People like Martin /king will come and ago,however the supporters will stay loyal to the club and history.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS Cockles @ June 04 2004,09:25)]sh*t that sounds like a real bad dig at ShrimperZone, and its not, Just seems like the bored is so pro Martin/King that if anyone has the bollox to stand up to them they are shot down in flames.
I think it can be both pro and anti, but the trouble is we can't have libellous comments, as none of us can afford it. It's easy for the Echo to add a correction the next day or ask readers to send in letters, but SZ is more fluid...we have to react quickly and we do. We try and appeal to our readership, which is quite young...

Ps we still scoop the Echo regularly. I bet there's a piece in there tonight about how Oldham might be interested in Cort.

thank god for bernie friend, when will people wake up
and realise what a mess this club is in,
lots of you got excited when the club announced a small
profit last season, whats a profit against an overall debt of
£8m and increasing!!

Bernie doesnt write against the club, and I suspect like
most us of us he was supporting the team, before most
of the contributors on this site were born.

But it gets to a point where you cannot swallow anymore
lies and cr*p about this club.
When the commerical manager earns more than the football
manager and the stadium manager and the catering manager
earn more than most of the players, it just about sums up
what goes on.

Its interesting to note that since Bernies demise at the echo
on the southend front, that the club has been given an
easy ride. I find it amazing for a small div 3 club, that if
any criticises the board or directors, they get hunted down
on here or by letter or by phone, by the aforementioned
directors!! what is the club trying to hide.

is the fact that they know that the new ground is unlikely
to ever be built as the debts by 2006/7 will outweigh
any revenue received

This all ties in with Enrico's comments about the running of the YTS. You have to question how the club is being run.

From what iv seen the commercial dept has done very well in increasing turnover however. GKs PR skills leave much to be desired. RM seems to be only be consulted on the big decisions and theres a man that comes in 3 days a week to run the club. Its not exactly a sound setup. Most clubs have a MD or ECO others that don't tend to have a dedicated chairman or board. We have none of those !

Supporting Southend is not about brushing problems under the carpet and just cheering on the teams. We have a duty as supporters to ask questions and question the club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 04 2004,09:34)]is the fact that they know that the new ground is unlikely
to ever be built as the debts by 2006/7 will outweigh
any revenue received
Might of guessed that you would crawl out from under a stone!
tounge.gif
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 04 2004,09:34)]. I find it amazing for a small div 3 club, that if
any criticises the board or directors, they get hunted down
on here or by letter or by phone, by the aforementioned
directors!! what is the club trying to hide.
Similar to Darlo, when Reynolds himself would go round people's houses!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 04 2004,09:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,09:29)]Well said Cockles
hahaha. Even FM agrees with you

biggrin.gif
yer I know , bit embarressed about my post now Naps

deary me no ones ever agreed wit me on here before

How often do supporters and the board of football clubs see eye-to-eye though? Rarely. Because most of the time they are in it for different reasons, the board to get a return on their investment and the supporters for the love of the club, and therefore there is always going to be differences of opinion.

The club may not be paying out as much money on wages as it possibly could do (I'd be interested to see what percentage of turnover we have spent on wages, against the 60% maximum) but thats because they have been bankrolling the club for the last few years (not them directly, but they still have to justify the wages to the investors, presumably.)

If things can start to look up on the pitch, as they have done lately, then we may well see more investment on the club but what incentive is there for the board to throw money at a team that finished 17th in the division for the last two years and has massive debts?

Back