• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bernie

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 04 2004,10:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 04 2004,10:09)]Gray or McGleish? If Gray was the primary target, how much influence does Brush have? Is Tilly just backing Brush's ideas?
Judging from the Q & A posted today I would suggest not. It seems we actually look at players in a sensible way with more than just one opinion
Yes, I've just read that. Very incisive from Brushy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,10:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ June 04 2004,10:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,10:30)]too offering players contracts before others
I refer you to mine (and Napsters') previous comments. How do you know Jupp and Smith were offered contracts before Leon Cort etc?
From what Cort has said and Tilson.

I remember Connie saying he hadn't been offered anything until right at the end of the season.
I remember Connie also saying (twice, natch) I can't wait to score more goals her enext season!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,10:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ June 04 2004,10:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,10:30)]too offering players contracts before others
I refer you to mine (and Napsters') previous comments. How do you know Jupp and Smith were offered contracts before Leon Cort etc?
From what Cort has said and Tilson.
What did they say, and when?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,09:01)]And obviously clubs like Torquay are ' breaking the bank' if they can offer competitive wages.
Hey, guess what, FM. They can't. Like us, Torquay are restricted to 60% of their turnover being spent on wages ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,09:54)]You have to speculate to accumulate, the board don't seem willing to do that.
Which, brainless, the Club cannot do if it a) cannot afford to pay those sort of wages to players, or b) are prevented from paying those sort of wages to players because of the FL salary cap (limited to 60% of turnover) ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Blue @ June 04 2004,10:28)]Maybe you could run a couple of seminars for him. You could also throw in a few economic theories, particularly your 'speculate to accumulate' model of how to run a football club. I'll even give you a starting point for that seminar - Leeds United: discuss.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,10:30)]I'd love to know just how much of our turnover we use on the playing staff.
60%.  It's the rules, remember?!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,10:30)]It's not break the bank it's be competitive. Not offer thousands but more than 700 quid a week.
Luke, read my bloomin' posts.  We do offer - and do pay - more than £700 a week. The point is... they didn't think Conny was worth it.  Indeed, from Brush's Q&A, he seems to suggest that Conny made it clear that he wouldn't be featuring at Roots Hall next season some time ago, so in that sense, there's probably no point in trying to hold onto him.

What is clearly paramount is that they're trying to build a team.  That being so, then we have to back their judgement 100% as to the players they think will fit in with that team ethic.

I have to say that I'm very heartened after reading that interview with Brush, apart from the bit where they hope they'll be lucky with injuries...

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 04 2004,10:16)]Spot on as always Bernie! Shame the two from a far, Overseas and Javea refuse to see the truth and keep ******* up to the board.
pr*ck! You really have no idea, do you ... ?

WS

Just for the record, I do not wear rose tinted glasses as they clash with the lime tank top and maroon shirt I like to wear.

Anyway I tend to agree with what Bernie has written this time but it does become tedious when a person only ever spouts negativity. It tends to lose its impact and starts to appear as a personal vendetta, such as our dear friend Thomas the Tank.

For example his post LDV final comments did not mention what a great time was had by everyone who was in Cardiff but decided to centre on the fact the club apparently screwed up the flight, which IMHO surely this was the fault of the charter company.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 04 2004,10:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,09:01)]And obviously clubs like Torquay are ' breaking the bank' if they can offer competitive wages.
Hey, guess what, FM. They can't. Like us, Torquay are restricted to 60% of their turnover being spent on wages ...

WS
I think thats kind of his point. Torquay are offering higher wages than we are on a lower turnover, which kind of renders the wage cap arguement put forward on here all the time as irrelevent. Clearly both sides are operating well within the 60% cap, us especially.

Unless you can come up with another explanation.....?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 04 2004,10:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,10:30)]I'd love to know just how much of our turnover we use on the playing staff.
60%.  It's the rules, remember?!
A maximum of.......

I'd be interested to know also, how close is it to the 60% mark?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ June 04 2004,10:50)]Unless you can come up with another explanation.....?
Nope, FM is right. His unique business acumen is spot on. I'm gonna throw myself in the Med now. SUFC are sh*te, we're all sh*te ...

WS

ps - Is THAT better, Wiggy?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ June 04 2004,10:50)]I think thats kind of his point. Torquay are offering higher wages than we are on a lower turnover, which kind of renders the wage cap arguement put forward on here all the time as irrelevent. Clearly both sides are operating well within the 60% cap, us especially.
Yopu can reach 60% in all kinds of different ways. You could pay one player half of it and another nineteen the remaining half.

I would imagine that David Graham is on a reasonable amount but other than that I imagine they have a small squad on average salaries.

Consider 20 mplayers earning £700/ week for 52 weeks. Forget bonuses. If ticket prices are £10 then that translates to a crowd of 3165

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 04 2004,11:16)]Spot on as always Bernie! Shame the two from a far, Overseas and Javea refuse to see the truth and keep ******* up to the board. Still when you live that distance away it hardly matters what dross is served up!
It's not the fact that we refuse to see the truth. I cannot speak for Javea, but I for one am not in possession of all the details to know the truth. I know some facts, which i then base a personal opinion on, when possible.

Unless I know 100% I do not make statements that pretend to be such. In this way, I do not condemn, nor fly the flag for the board or anybody else.

You, on the other hand, have made a sensational example of a naive, vacuous mind spouting pure infentile cr*p and speculation as your gospel.

No matter how I am disheartened by certain things happening, no matter how far away I may be at the time, I am a supporter of Southend United... and I refuse to associate a word like 'dross' to the club I care for.

For some supporters however...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 04 2004,11:06)]You, on the other hand, have made a sensational example of a naive, vacuous mind spouting pure infentile cr*p and speculation as your gospel.
Hang on, that sounds just like...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 04 2004,10:40)]
[b said:

WS
No you dont get my post

Im saying Torquay DO compete yet not breaking the bank and keeping within there means.

We were 13th out of 24 in the attendence table for last season. Teams like Orient and Torquay are below us.Our commercial dept is apparently one of the best in the league. and wasn't our turnover last year £2.1m ?

Why haven't Maher, Cort, Connie offered contracts before the end of the season or at least offered terms months ago and then signed when our status in the league was assured.

My post regarding id like to know how much we spend on play staff was meant as in id like to know if we spend 50-60%

Day 5 in the ShrimperZone House.......

Wiggy has yet again upset the house mates, Javea and OS feel they are being pciked on for being positive about there Football Club.

MF has gone to the Diary room to make sure Richard Branson is following his orders on "How to Run a successful Business".

And Bob is having a fashion disaster with his Rose Tinted Glasses, Lime Tank top and Marron Shirt.

Who will be evicted......... You Decide!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 04 2004,11:06)]You, on the other hand, have made a sensational example of a naive, vacuous mind spouting pure infentile cr*p and speculation as your gospel.
Yes, but I bet he knows how to spell infantile.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ June 04 2004,12:12)]
[b said:
Woops.

If I promised I do too, would you believe me?

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 04 2004,12:12)]Day 5 in the ShrimperZone House.......

Wiggy has yet again upset the house mates, Javea and OS feel they are being pciked on for being positive about there Football Club.

MF has gone to the Diary room to make sure Richard Branson is following his orders on "How to Run a successful Business".

And Bob is having a fashion disaster with his Rose Tinted Glasses, Lime Tank top and Marron Shirt.

Who will be evicted......... You Decide!!
Kent Shrimper... for his glittering balls.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 04 2004,11:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ June 04 2004,12:12)]
[b said:
Woops.

If I promised I do too, would you believe me?

sad.gif
laugh.gif
I've had enough of posting sensibly today, it just gets me into long and boring debates with people like MF, who can't see that what they are saying is a load of BOLACS. So....

... I like soup.

Back