• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bernie

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 04 2004,12:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,12:14)]Well Tilson acted very ****ed off and disapointed for someone who he didnt rate Matt.
Who the feck is Matt?!

WS
MTS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 04 2004,12:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,12:14)]Well Tilson acted very ****ed off and disapointed for someone who he didnt rate Matt.
Who the feck is Matt?!

WS
Matt Broughton, Drewe's twin who plays sometimes.

Tilson didn't rate Matt?! What on earth ... ?!

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,13:14)]Well Tilson acted very ****ed off and disapointed for someone who he didnt rate Matt.
That's called PR. Connie was liked by many supporters. He may have been a hero to some. What should a manager say?

Or would this be better; "Like I say... I'm glad he jumped rather than me having to push him... lucky lazy f**ker."

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 04 2004,12:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,13:14)]Well Tilson acted very ****ed off and disapointed for someone who he didnt rate Matt.
That's called PR. Connie was liked by many supporters. He may have been a hero to some. What should a manager say?

Or would this be better; "Like I say... I'm glad he jumped rather than me having to push him... lucky lazy f**ker."

rock.gif
No but this doesn't link up. He seemed to be keen on keeping Connie. It wasn't case of we tried, we wish him the best. He seemed to be agreved he hadn't met with RM.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,11:10)]Why haven't Maher, Cort, Connie offered contracts before the end of the season or at least offered terms months ago and then signed when our status in the league was assured.
Our league status wasn't assured months ago. If they had have been offered them then (and they may well have been) they probably still wouldn't have accepted it.

There is a culture in football now where players wait for as long as they can until something else comes up. Offering contracts in april would make no difference. Offering contracts in january though is a different matter, but only for the best players in winning sides.

Basically, if Gray and Dudfield score 20 goals each then no one will care about Constantine. Tilson clearly feels that he can get someone better for the same or less money and that is the end of it. Why pay Constantine what he is asking for when you think you can get some just as good/better for less money?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 04 2004,12:23)]Why pay Constantine what he is asking for when you think you can get some just as good/better for less money?
SZ poster in sees the light shocker!!!

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ June 04 2004,12:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,11:10)]Why haven't Maher, Cort, Connie offered contracts before the end of the season or at least offered terms months ago and then signed when our status in the league was assured.
Our league status wasn't assured months ago. If they had have been offered them then (and they may well have been) they probably still wouldn't have accepted it.

There is a culture in football now where players wait for as long as they can until something else comes up. Offering contracts in april would make no difference. Offering contracts in january though is a different matter, but only for the best players in winning sides.

Basically, if Gray and Dudfield score 20 goals each then no one will care about Constantine. Tilson clearly feels that he can get someone better for the same or less money and that is the end of it. Why pay Constantine what he is asking for when you think you can get some just as good/better for less money?
From what Connie said he hadn't been offered a deal until right at the end of the season. And at a educated guess id say the same for Cort and Maher.

However why not say look heres a contract, as long as we stay in the league its yours. a bit of foresight ?

Why give other clubs the chance for a sniff ?

Im gonna drop this one, im not gonna win.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,12:26)]However why not say look heres a contract, as long as we stay in the league its yours. a bit of foresight ?

Why give other clubs the chance for a sniff ?
but why should he sign it? If we offered him £y00 before the end of the season and he wanted 3 x £y00 then he won't sign. He'll wait and try to better that deal even if we offered him more. Player power applies in the division to some extent. At least, if you have had a good season then you are in control. If you have had a poor season or just aren't very good then you have a problem.

The only thing is that there are so many players available that every player lost at this level can relasitically be replaced with someone better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,12:26)]Im gonna drop this one, im not gonna win.
That is the most sensible statement you have made all day!

Now stick to your words!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,12:26)]And at a educated guess id say ................... im not gonna win.
Shock.  Horror!  "Educated" FM has delusions of grandeur......................More Shock, Horror!!  FM gets one thing right.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Perhaps some of this "60%" turnover is being used to cut down the huge debts we have.
Although 60% is the maximum, mor realistically in our situation we could only be using 40 - 45% (and these are obviously numbers I have picked out of the air - i do not have any facts to back it up, nor documents or anything similar which may substantiate the fact I used 40 or 45% - its a random guess... I dont know the real figure) and using a larger proportion against any debts....

maybe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benjy91 @ June 04 2004,12:38)]and these are obviously numbers I have picked out of the air - i do not have any facts to back it up, nor documents or anything similar which may substantiate the fact
Neither does MF, but he presents speculation as fact.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benjy91 @ June 04 2004,12:38)]Perhaps some of this "60%" turnover is being used to cut down the huge debts we have.  
Although 60% is the maximum, mor realistically in our situation we could only be using 40 - 45% (and these are obviously numbers I have picked out of the air - i do not have any facts to back it up, nor documents or anything similar which may substantiate the fact I used 40 or 45% - its a random guess... I dont know the real figure) and using a larger proportion against any debts....

maybe
Am i seeing things ...

wow.gif

Hows it going Paul? Good to see you back. That kinda makes sense but im staying out all this otherwise i'll end up arguing with FM (again!
tounge.gif
)

Kev

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 04 2004,12:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 04 2004,12:18)]
[b said:

rock.gif
No but this doesn't link up. He seemed to be keen on keeping Connie. It wasn't case of we tried, we wish him the best. He seemed to be agreved he hadn't met with RM.
Maybe he was a bit miffed because (a) he doesn't like Fat Judas (Tilly was at the club when FJ was, don't forget) and (b) he thought / hoped he could keep hold of him for £700 a week. Or perhaps he was miffed because Conny was stringing him along, saying "yeah, I'll sign", when in fact he never had any intention of doing so... that's certainly what Brushy's Q&A would suggest, isn't it?

You still can't prove for one second that Tilly thought that Constantine was worth a penny over £700 a week.

As usual, Luke, you're up to your favourite trick of painting your half-baked supposition as fact. Don't do it, it's annoying.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't know why Connie wasn't offered more money. But given that we DO KNOW that:

*Connie was offered £700 a week
*Plenty of players at the club make more than that

... then it's not unreasonable to form the conclusion that either

1. "the management" - one of either Tilly or Ron Martin - didn't think Constantine was worth fighting to keep; or

2. that Conny had told them he was off, so there was no point in offering him a deal which he'd turn down anyway (since, if they offered him a big deal, you'd have other agents rolling up saying "well, you offered Constantine £1,500 a week - so offer my player that amount).

But - guess what? It's highly unlikely we'll ever find out... So let's stop the pointless speculation, eh?

rock.gif

Matt

One thing that has amazed me is that no-one has picked up the fact Torquay are not Div 3 side anymore and IIRC the wage cap only applies to Div3 and Conference. So when was this player on this wage?? The new contract just offered or last season. Bernie seems to omit this fact from his report.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ June 04 2004,13:38)]One thing that has amazed me is that no-one has picked up the fact Torquay are not Div 3 side anymore and IIRC the wage cap only applies to Div3 and Conference. So when was this player on this wage?? The new contract just offered or last season. Bernie seems to omit this fact from his report.
It applies to Div 2 as well from next season doesn't it?

I believe that around a dozen Div 2 clubs & half that no. of Div one clubs applied the cap voluntarily last season.  Further it applies to all Div 2 & 3 clubs next season with Div 1 being similarly limited from 2005/6 onwards.

Back