• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dannypav

President
Ok , based on what you've seen this season ( not past seasons glories or indeed past seasons mistakes ) , if every one of our players is fit , on form and free from suspension , what would be your preferred starting 11 and bench.

Mine :

BENTLEY
WHITE , KIERNAN , PROSSER , COKER
ATKINSON , LEONARD , TIMLIN
HURST , EASTWOOD , STRAKER

SUBS :
CHAMBERS ( I think Smith's confidence is shot to pieces )
PHILLIPS
LAIRD
CORR
PAYNE
CLIFFORD
WOODROW

Ok , based on what you've seen this season ( not past seasons glories or indeed past seasons mistakes ) , if every one of our players is fit , on form and free from suspension , what would be your preferred starting 11 and bench.

Mine :

BENTLEY
WHITE , KIERNAN , PROSSER , COKER
ATKINSON , LEONARD , TIMLIN
HURST , EASTWOOD , STRAKER

SUBS :
CHAMBERS ( I think Smith's confidence is shot to pieces )
PHILLIPS
LAIRD
CORR
PAYNE
CLIFFORD
WOODROW

hmmmmmmmmmm

Eastwood is the top goalscorer, but he isnt playing in the best run we have had so not sure you can include him in the best 11.

Eastwood is the top goalscorer, but he isnt playing in the best run we have had so not sure you can include him in the best 11.

Is he really? I weren't sure. I think if he was in good form, we would be the best player on the pitch but I guess you need to work what good form is for Eastwood now. It wouldn't be anywhere near the glory days form and I don't really think we have seen him hit top form since he has been back though

Bentley
White Phillips Prosser Coker
Laird Leonard Timlin
Woodrow Hurst
Corr

Subs Smith, Kiernan, Straker, Atkinson, Payne, Eastwood, Pinnock (assuming he's still one of our players)

Can't get on the bench: Chambers, Auger, Thompson, Clifford, Seedy Nigel, Reid
Crocked: Bennett

The key to success is not having a best 11 it's having a best 13-15 and being able to make minor changes to counteract the oppositions strengths and exploit their weaknesses. So far Brown has done a good job of tinkering where necessary over the last 6 games.

Is he really? I weren't sure. I think if he was in good form, we would be the best player on the pitch but I guess you need to work what good form is for Eastwood now. It wouldn't be anywhere near the glory days form and I don't really think we have seen him hit top form since he has been back though

Well he has scored the most goals, so yes he is :smile: Is he our best forward? Thats a different question and far more debateable.

Freddy isnt the player of old and doesnt need to be as good as he was to still be our best player, but does he fit into the current system ? Im not convinced.

There is also the question of his fitness. Theres no lack of effort or willingness on his part as preseason showed, but he clearly is injury prone so not sure he is going to be fit enough for long enough.

The key to success is not having a best 11 it's having a best 13-15 and being able to make minor changes to counteract the oppositions strengths and exploit their weaknesses. So far Brown has done a good job of tinkering where necessary over the last 6 games.

Agree with this 100%

Agreed Totally.
Football is now a squad game. However we seem to be totally transformed when we go down to 10 men as well.

For a bit of fun. I would go for as a starting 11

Bentley

White Prosser Phillips Coker

Hurst Leonard Timlin Atkinson Straker

Corr

Subs
Smith, Clifford. Kiernan. Eastwood. Laird. Thompson. Woodrow

Agreed Totally.
Football is now a squad game. However we seem to be totally transformed when we go down to 10 men as well.

Bentley

Corr

Subs

Christ on a bike...not Smith in goal then :winking:

Agreed Totally.

Bentley

Corr

Subs

This would be my first team as well except I'd have Kiernan for Phillips. Credit to Phillips for his work rate over the years, but to be honest he looks well off the pace this season.

Bentley
White, Prosser, Keirnan, Coker
Laird
Hurst, Atkinson, Leonard, Timlin
Eastwood

Laird was our best player the start of the season...not been the same since he came back from injury. back 4/keeper picks itself.
Agree with Shrimperjon that 4-1-4-1 is our best shape, but personally i'd go Corr for his workrate ahead of Freddie, who can make a big difference off the bench...it's also a bit harsh on Straker but there you go.

Bentley
Laird
Corr

my only worry is a lack of pace...

Laird was our best player the start of the season...not been the same since he came back from injury. back 4/keeper picks itself.
Agree with Shrimperjon that 4-1-4-1 is our best shape, but personally i'd go Corr for his workrate ahead of Freddie, who can make a big difference off the bench...it's also a bit harsh on Straker but there you go.

Bentley
Laird
Corr

my only worry is a lack of pace...

Bit harsh, the guy has played a few games....last night, I would go far as saying he changed the game when he came on. His calmness on the ball, willingness to collect the ball from our defenders and fellow midfielders was evident - he showed more in those twenty minutes (Quality of passing, breaking Pompey's play and being a constant option) than Thompson and Clifford did in their minutes on the pitch.

For the record, my team (Squad being the vital point) would be:

Bentley

White Prosser Kiernan Coker

Laird Leonard Atkinson

Hurst Timlin
Corr

Chambers
Phillips
Thompson
Payne
Straker
Eastwood
Woodrow

Also rans: Smith, Bennett (Only as not featured, decent at previous clubs), Clifford, Read, Auger, Nije, Pinnock

Bit harsh, the guy has played a few games....last night, I would go far as saying he changed the game when he came on. His calmness on the ball, willingness to collect the ball from our defenders and fellow midfielders was evident - he showed more in those twenty minutes (Quality of passing, breaking Pompey's play and being a constant option) than Thompson and Clifford did in their minutes on the pitch.

For the record, my team (Squad being the vital point) would be:

Bentley

White Prosser Kiernan Coker

Laird Leonard Atkinson

Hurst Timlin
Corr

Chambers
Phillips
Thompson
Payne
Straker
Eastwood
Woodrow

Also rans: Smith, Bennett (Only as not featured, decent at previous clubs), Clifford, Read, Auger, Nije, Pinnock

didn't go last night but you're not the only person saying that! of course he does need game time to get back to full fitness, but i do like how he does that Michael Carrick role which allows Timlin to get forward...

I agree - Lairdy and the way he plays gives Timlin the freedom to do what he does best, run around hassling oponents and biting at their heels whilst providing options in his forward support. (it's a Shame he has never been any good at finishing Rotherham away).

Back to Laird and I just feel his composure, range of passing, calmness in possession and reading of the game is a class above league two. He also put in more successful tackles in his cameo last night than others did in the first 70 minutes!!!

Sorry Silencer i think you are being a bit hard on Connor Clifford, did he not earlier in the season get a man of the match from just about everyone on here, the man is only young and i tell you now ,he will develop into a really good player , hopefully for SUFC . I know its all about opinions but i hope that one comes back to bite you big time on the ***.

Think about what you say especially when it comes to putting players down as ALSO RANS, the last two seasons i can name 3 players who most here would have discarded if they had there way , one is only in his second season , but 2 of these 3 players if there form holds up i would say would be in the running for player of the year for us now the other well you all to a man just about have remarked about how transformed he is. The three , Prosser, Leonard and Straker

Back