• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

dannypav

President
It’s Thursday , I’ve got a day off and I’m a bit bored , so this is my pointless thread.
Assuming that all our players are fit and in decent form at the same time ( I know it’s all fantasy and I’m laughing ? myself as I’m typing , but please humour me ! ) , what would be your best team and subs.

Mine :

Oxley
White , Kiernan, Ferdinand, Coker
Wright , Leonard, Wordsworth, Kightly
Cox , Ranger

Subs : Smith , Turner , Demitriou, Timlin , McLaughlin , Fortune , Yearwood

Demitriou a bit unlucky, but I prefer one attacking full back and one solid defender as a better balance

Oxley
Demetriou White Turner Ferdinand Coker
Wright Leonard Wordsworth
Cox Ranger

In my opinion that is a side more than capable of promotion

Roberts , Tenant , Smith , Elliot , Albeson , Jaques , Johnson , Best , Garner , Moore , Lewis , sub Taylor , still beat the team we have got .

Sansome, Austin, Powell, Martin, Scully, Tilson, Clark, Butler, Ansah, Benjamin, Angell Sub Locke

So would this one

Oh theres so many in the past that we could put together to form a better team , but i dont think that was what was being asked.Of the present players i think
Oxley,Demetriou.Kiernan.Ferdinand/Turner.Coker
Kightley.Leonard.Wordsworth.McLaughlin
Cox . Ranger
Subs, Wright.Maf.Ferdinand or Turner.Timlin,White.Dru.Smith

The question asked if they was all fit and in form, so i based it on that , only had room for two midfielders and as i believe Wright is a midfielder not a wide player i made him a sub.Believe Kightly is a better player on the right side and McLaughlin when in form can deliver a cross better and also is a proven goalscorer.Couldnt make up my mind between Turner and Ferdinand so left that as a toss up ,both have incredible records in the past ,so in form and match fit its a toss up i believe, Kiernan if fit and in form i think can be one of if not the best CB in League one .

Flahavan, Jupp, Edwards, Barrett, Wilson, Guttridge, Maher, Gower, Gray, Goater, Eastwood. With Prior, Bentley, Hunt and Mitchell Cole joined by Sodje and Bradbury late on.

This is a squad that we need to match - I think we are along way off player for player.

Oxley (very much on merit)

Dimi HK Kiernan/Turner Coker

Leonard

Wright Wordsworth SM

Cox Ranger

Playing it narrow because Wright and Leonard have the engines to cover out wide and we need to go down the throat of the opposition. Many of the goals in this league are through the middle and crossing is not one of our best points. Wordsworth can run beyond the front two at times and SM will cut inside. I dont care if the opposition pack the box because the ball will be played low and anything can happen. Cross and the average Lg 1 defender will lap it up against our boys.

Eric Steele
Chris Ramsey , Paul Roberts , Steve Hatter , Christian Hyslop
Gordon Connelly , Jimmy Corbett , Sada N'Diaya
Wayne Gray's cousin , Drewe Broughton , Tes Bramble

.................. There you go ,,, things dont seem all that bad now , do they ? :winking:

I rather liked this one as well:

Cawston, Stead, Moody Cusack Yates, Pountney, Hadley, Otulakowski, Gray, Spence, Mercer

I would go for a 4-2-3-1 so:

Oxley
Demetriou Kiernan Ferdinand/Turner Coker

Wright Leonard

Kightly Wordsworth McLaughlin

Fortune/Ranger

I've gone for a controversial formation with just one up front. I don't think we have had two strikers play well together up front so far this season, not consistently anyway. So I think allowing Woody to get forward and support a striker like Fortune or Ranger would work really well as they hold the ball up nicely. Kightly and McLaughlin could support the attack from the wings and Wright and Leonard would be defensive midfielders to help out a centre back partnership that wouldn't be that fast.

Probably a bit of a guess where Kiernan is concerned as we're yet to see him play a single minute in his actual position since joining. Could easily be swapped with Turner, but again, same applies!

I can see Kyprianou becoming a key member of the team in a season or two's time and taking over from Ferdinand.

Oxley

Demetriou Kiernan Ferdinand Coker

Kightly Wordsworth Leonard Wright

Cox Ranger

Probably a bit of a guess where Kiernan is concerned as we're yet to see him play a single minute in his actual position since joining. Could easily be swapped with Turner, but again, same applies!

I can see Kyprianou becoming a key member of the team in a season or two's time and taking over from Ferdinand.

Oxley

Demetriou Kiernan Ferdinand Coker

Kightly Wordsworth Leonard Wright

Cox Ranger

Swap over the 2 widemen and I agree.
Most of us saw Kiernan v Newport in the League Cup!

This isn’t clear cut to me, some players arenailed on but others it’s tough and depends on form and balance.

Goalkeeper: Oxley
Without question in my mind, he looked reallygood once he settled last season before the injury setback and the same appliesthis season.

Right back: White or Demitriou
I’d lean towards White as he is so reliable butit is obvious Demi is better going forward.

Left back: Coker
One of our best players, at the end of seasongala Phil singled him out for praise saying he should be playing in thechampionship and that he hopes to convince him that it should be with us.

Centre backs: 2 from Ferdinand, Kyprianou,Turner and Kiernan
If Ferdinand starts playing like he did last seasonthen he’d be my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] choice, for me he was player of the season.Organised the defence and read the game superbly, he made it look easy and didn’tneed any pace as he was at the right place at the right time.
Kyprianou has been a welcome surprise at CBthis season, I heard a senior member of the squad talked him up massively andsaid the little mistakes he is bound to make as he is learning are recovered byhis strength and athleticism. If he learns the position well he could be one hellof a player!
Turner and Kiernan are an unknown quantity asit stands but both have done it at a higher level.

Right mid/wing: Kightly
Played in his best position he was outstandingin the championship last season so I’m sure he will do the same in this leaguewhen fit.

Left mid/wing: McLaughlin
Not in the best form at the moment but when he’sfiring he has a great delivery and can chip in with a few goals

Centre Mids: Leonard & Wordsworth
Leonard is a complete midfielder, the attackingpart of his game isn’t grade A but when you add it to his defensive qualitiesand his pace you as good a central midfielder as you get at this level.
Wordsworth excels at the attacking and creativepart of the game and if fit is a CM that will get double figures when it comes togoals. Does need to be coupled with somebody who does the donkey work though.

Strikers: Ranger & Cox
Ranger is quality but he’ll never be prolificIMO, he is a great target man and the ball sticks in the final third with himin the team. His strength and on field temperament are superb which is a greatcombo, he gives the opposition CBs a torrid time and never reacts when thingsget rough.
Cox is out of form, he managed 16 last season andthere is a goalscorer there. He is coming too deep and not gambling enough onthings happening. I am hoping with the rest of the team fit and performing thatwe will see the Cox of last season again, or even an improved one, he lookslike he is fitter and carrying less weight than last season.

Assuming they can all play to their full potential from what I've seen, I'd probably say :-

Oxley
Demetriou, Ferdinand, Kyprianou, Hendrie
Kightly, Leonard, Wordsworth, McLaughlin,
Cox, Ranger

SUBS : Smith, Coker, White, Wright, Fortune, Timlin, Turner

It's a real tough call on a number of positions and no place, even on the bench, for Kiernan.

In reality, Coker is probably a more consistent left-back, Wright a more all-round midfielder and White, a slightly better right-back.

However, the above team works well in a diamond system, with Demetriou and Hendrie being threats going forward.

Assuming they can all play to their full potential from what I've seen, I'd probably say :-

Oxley
Demetriou, Ferdinand, Kyprianou, Hendrie
Kightly, Leonard, Wordsworth, McLaughlin,
Cox, Ranger

SUBS : Smith, Coker, White, Wright, Fortune, Timlin, Turner

It's a real tough call on a number of positions and no place, even on the bench, for Kiernan.

In reality, Coker is probably a more consistent left-back, Wright a more all-round midfielder and White, a slightly better right-back.

However, the above team works well in a diamond system, with Demetriou and Hendrie being threats going forward.

Very harsh on Kiernan putting Turner on the bench ahead of him. At least we know that Kiernan is real:winking:

Ah now this is where I can help out, here.

I met Turner on Saturday. He popped up to the Centre Circle Lounge. I've given him the nod, on the basis that I wasn't overly impressed by Kiernan in the Newport game and know a bit more about Turner's previous performances at other clubs.

Back