• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My best away trip was Hartlepool away a few seasons ago when we dicked them 2-1 in the last minute.

Took a sickey from work and flew to Newcastle for 22 quid and Rob Newman gave all 20 of us free tickets. After arriving in the Toon and getting plastered for 7 hours, we took cabs to Hartlepool which is one of the dodgiest places i have been to. The game what i can remember of it was crap until super Tes Bramble half vollied in the bottom corner tro send the 200 Shrimpers into frenzy. Just when you thought it was going to ET, the right honourable Leon Cort heading the winner to send the 200 lunatics crazy and the 500 monkey hangers crazy as well!.

We managed to get out alive somehow and back to Newcastle for a night on the sauce and other things. The funniest thing was a few of us managed to persuade a female begger who was quite fit to come back to our hotel and f%&k us all for a tenner each but the ******* of a security guard wouldnt let her in so she had to leave.

Dont worry chaps, we hadnt paid her yet
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quality!

Mine was either Derby in 93 for the sheer silkiness of our performance or Gillingham in 97 when Boere & Coulbault both scored in injury-time to turn a 1-0 defeat into a 2-1 win, cue much mayhem on the away corner terrace. The sight of someone joyously picking up my 18st father still lives with me!

Either:

Promotion, a great day in general for obvious reasons, and it carried on long into the night in bristol

Or

Macclesfield last year with Super Alan Mac scoring in the dying seconds to send us top, and mahers row with the steward.

The Macc game last year undoubtedly, we were the better side all night and the tension was unnerving, but the celebrations after the winner were amazing.

The Gillingham one was pretty good, as was the Charlton game when we won 3-0 with Dublin, Tilly and Andy Thomson scoring. It was a re-arranged fixture and Charlton reduced the admission price by half as we were not a big enough team. There were 3 of us and I was at the ticket window. The guy said "£18 mate" and I promptly secured £20 from each of my mates and gave him the £60, expecting £6 change. The bloke looked at me and said, "No mate, £18 total. £6 each. We've reduced the price 'cos you're such a small side and otherwise the ground would be half empty". Cheeky so-and-so I thought. But friendly with it. Oh how we laughed at the scoreline. I think it was their biggest home defeat of the season. And to such minnows...

Winning at Layer Road to help consign the farmhands to the Conference with the added bonus of us heading for promotion.

Maccs last season was fantastic as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 18 2005,12:31)]Winning at Layer Road to help consign the farmhands to the Conference with the added bonus of us heading for promotion.

What year was that game?
If it is the one where super sub Daly (paul?) came on to score then yep thats mine as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Nov. 18 2005,13:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 18 2005,12:31)]Winning at Layer Road to help consign the farmhands to the Conference with the added bonus of us heading for promotion.

What year was that game?
If it is the one where super sub Daly (paul?) came on to score then yep thats mine as well.
Wasn't it in the 88/89 season?

There'll be one team in essex
One team in Essex
One team in Essex
In the merry month of May!

laugh.gif

My best away trip in terms of trip rather that result was Bournemouth away a few years ago. We lost 2-0 I think same year we lost at Dean Cort in the cup.

Got the train down there about 15 of from Paddington. had a right boozy one on the way down there. Was with a number of regular SZ posters ( Littleman, Smiffy, SUFC STU).Got hammered on the train and some of our lads got various birds numbers.

Got to Bournemuff and found or B&B. Turns out we were sharing a with some scummy Asylum Seekers who were all waiting on the doorstep to get in.

Went out round the town on the first night. Went to a few bars but Littleman and the man whos not fat couldnt get in.Ended up splitting up. Younger lads went to what I can only describe as a school disco. Smiffy, I and the others went on a bar crawl.

Challengded Smiffy to a first to pull contest in a seedy club and lost (He did take the easy option if you seen his bird). Had a massive walk home at the end. Loads of Southend around.

Next day woke up and one of our number had been asleep with his hand on a radiator and had third degree burns. Game was a right off as we were crap. Worst night sleep for me and my room mate ( Harlow John ) snoores live a bomb going off.

All got back to our hotel and had a massive session. G Man accepted a dare to down a half pint of curry sauce left over from Smiffys curry. He did it ,before it did him and he was in the loos being sick for a hour. Drinking till bar run dry.

Stu shaved obscene words into the back of the thin mans head. Thin man did a streak down the road on this own and bumped into four streakers running the other way. Knicked a trophy from hotel bar and gave it to thin man as man most unlikely to shag a bird....Happy days

Best trip by a country mile.

Peterborough away. 2-1 win to gain promotion. Fantastic weather. David Crown with both goals, Sammy with some amazing saves. What a nerve wracking second half.

What a party on the M11 on the way home.

Millenium Stadium 2005 for the Playoff Final.

No reason to say why.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Nov. 18 2005,13:18)]Peterborough away. 2-1 win to gain promotion. Fantastic weather. David Crown with both goals, Sammy with some amazing saves. What a nerve wracking second half.

What a party on the M11 on the way home.
I was only 10 at this one but what a day....

Justin Edinburgh shook my hand and I was made up for weeks.

biggrin.gif

A shortlist:

Bury away, 1991, to send us to the Promised Land of, the then, Division Two. The shot from Benji, I can still see in slow-motion (as it seemed at the time). The celebrations at the end. It was just draining.

Doncaster away, 1988. Took in Mansfield v. Brentford en route, as our coach was stopped on the Motorway by the police, because of a tip-off from the official Supporters' Coach that our coach was full of hooligans. The look on the face of the Brenford fans was a picture as 40 Southend fans in fancy dress were put in their end. We wanted Brenford to win as MTFC were relegation rivals at the time. Eric Steele in goal for Mansfield stopped everything as MTFC won 1-0. This made victory for us all the more crucial. We won 1-0 thanks to Shane Westley. Great celebrations ensued from a bee (Trainspotter, I remember), a clown, Adolf Hitler, a nun etc. 4-0 home win against Blackpool the following week helped us retain our Div 3 status.

Sunderland away same season, 1987-88. 7-0 thumping on a Tuesday night. It's a hell of a way home aftyer that. Forgetting the game, though, it was a great trip. The coach was about half-full. Uncle Vic had arranged for an executive up there by coach, and included in that package was a pre-match meal in the Roker Rooms suite. Well, about 8 of us managed to wangle aour way in, in jeans/trainers etc. And, again, the joy of seeing the faces of those who had paid quadruple the amount we had was unquantifiable. I still maintain, that their fourth goal was handball by Eric Gates, though!
mad.gif

Various trips in the back of hired Ford Transit's to Aldershot, with about 20 crammed in the back, with communal herbal cigarettes doing the rounds; and to PNE with about 15 crammed in the back bring back great, if painful memories.

And as above, if it does count as an away game for us:D last year's Play off Final has no words to describe it.

I am sure there are others, like Liverpool away in the Cup replay in 1979 (aged 13), with the Kop singing SOuthend at the end in tribute.

Anfield 79

Scousers everywhere (naturally ) and I had gone up on the supporters bus by myself (there were others on the bus ...)
Left the ground at the end tucked the scarf away and headed down the road with cheeky scallies asking me the time every couple of yards. So I tucked in behind the police horse so I could get through the crowd quicker.
Then his tail went up and , thankfully, I only got a facefull of Equine Flatulence !!!

Still I fared better than the lad who was directed the short way to the coach, across the park. I think it took him a few days to get home, via the local A&E.

Aldershot away one year, again on my own, Waterloo station a sea of Blue and White, so I hurried over shouting support for the Sea siders to quickly realise that Milwall were away at Portsmouth that day..... After An hour or so in the corner of the bar  I got the train, and about 15 minutes later it passed the coastal bound service being duly dismantled..

I wouldn't say the best away trips but certainly the more memorable

Footy wise ..best Gillingham away, last minute winners (spoilt by my 8 yearold getting caught up between a steward and a fan)

Worst , Palace , the year Wright and Bright took us to the cleaners  Southampton FAC all that way only to concede in the 1st minute

two for me

firstly our playoff win in cardiff, after 8 years of watching absolute tosh finally we came good

also

1999 trip to birdbrain road
alan littles first game in charge
we were in a relegation dogfight, orient going for promotion

me and angell delight travelled up with three orient supporting friends of ours,
when asked before hand what we thought we'd get we said lucky to get a point, they said they'd give us a good hiding

well step forward neil campbell, you will remain a legend because of those two goals that wiped the smiles and smurks off those oriscum fans for that one afternoon in march

Probably too many to name just one.

Derby in the cup lost 1-0 but the train journeys there and back were brilliant with an incredible amount of beer being consumed, and a young lady of doubtful repute entertaining numerous fans in one of the toilets.

Northampton when the bloody floodlights failed.

Newport when three of us were cornered by a gang and had to vault what seemed like a 15ft wall. Peed the world high jump record.

Gillingham in the peeing rain in 1972 when a 0-0 earned us promtion, the white coated Blues fans invaded and stayed in the home end. While the home support got a genrous soaking.

Anfield, Derby the 3-2 defeat, Oxford asking for some food in a pub, and being told i was a fat enough ******* already. And finally the Easter weekend when we had Southport & Tranmere away, we hitched all the way, slept rough, and managed to bunk back on the coach from Tranmere to be discovered en route by the Brothers Grim and threatened with ejection from the coach half way down the motorway.

Happy days.

Last game of the season in May 1987 on a Friday night up in Stockport.  2-0 win with Glenn Pennyfather and Richard Cadette scoring. Just pipped Wolves to an automatic promotion place.

Great end to season made even better by later watching
the Layer Road lads lose home to Aldershot in the playoffs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 18 2005,13:42)]Footy wise ..best Gillingham away, last minute winners (spoilt by my 8 yearold getting caught up between a steward and a fan)
If this is the game I referred to above, I might remember said incident. Was it some spotty herbert (some things never change, do they?) giving it the big one to a steward after the 1st goal only to almost clock them one with their celebrations for the 2nd one. I had to do a bit of conciliatory negotiation with their chief steward to prevent said nugget getting lifted, even though I never knew who they were!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Nov. 18 2005,14:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 18 2005,13:42)]Footy wise ..best Gillingham away, last minute winners (spoilt by my 8 yearold getting caught up between a steward and a fan)
If this is the game I referred to above, I might remember said incident.  Was it some spotty herbert (some things never change, do they?) giving it the big one to a steward after the 1st goal only to almost clock them one with their celebrations for the 2nd one.  I had to do a bit of conciliatory negotiation with their chief steward to prevent said nugget getting lifted, even though I never knew who they were!
Some steward was standing behind me arguing with a Southend Fan, so I intervened, told the fan to go away (as I felt he was about to be kicked out) and had I quite word with the steward. You know the stuff, "Finger pointing is confrontational and agressive, you will never be able to defuse a situation if you are seen to be agressive" typical man management training course stuff. To which he kept repeating (whilst poking me with his finger) "I can have you fu**ing chucked out I can" After advising him that I new this and tat the word "Steward" in big letters on his bright orange jacket, sort of led me to that conclusion anyway, I contined to advise him on how he could improve his technique...Then I heard a voice mutter, "well I have had enough of the c**t" and he launched a massive haymaker over my right shoulder straight into the steards head. I departed quickly only to see the steward pull his assailant down the terracing crush my son between himself and the barrier.

Sterling intervention from the OB had us quickly moved to an area with more space and the St Johns had a look at my boy as well. However I did miss one of the goals !
After a lengthy chat with the chief steward, whom the OB had got for us without us even asking ! He told us he knew who the steward was and that he would not be used again, he actually took on board comments about body language training as well.....

Back