• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best broadsheet newspaper

I'd probably say the Guardian or Observer for Sport... OSM is a great little supplement.

Not a 'broadsheet' as such any more, but The Times is the best paper by far.

I found the independent does what it says on the tin , you get the news not (quite so much)editorial biased . You get to play the game of make up your own mind

the Independant... cos it is exactly what it says...News for news sake, no bias

Left wing nonsense.

A touch like the Torygraph being the other way... though it does have the best cryptic crossword :)

Independent is my paper of choice, but you'll do well enough with The Times and The Obsever too.

also, if you don't want to read each day, the sunday times has news reviews etc for the week

Depends what your political stance. If you're a leftie environmental trendy cosmopolitan student type, then the Guardian. If you're more old-fashioned, conservative then the Telegraph.

A touch like the Torygraph being the other way... though it does have the best cryptic crossword :)

Independent is my paper of choice, but you'll do well enough with The Times and The Obsever too.

Oh yes the Independent,sales going down,faster then a Southend player in the penalty box,too middle of the road jonny boy.

I subscribe to The Times - works out at £22 a month, meaning The Sunday Times is basically free each week. I get some pretty good offers for my subscription too (a free book, CD or DVD every quarter), so whichever you go for, see if there is a good deal.

Having said all that, £22-odd a month soon starts racking up, especially if you're a student. The library on campus is highly likely to have all the papers available on a daily basis so you could do worse than trying there and reading a bit of all of them.

Having said all that, £22-odd a month soon starts racking up, especially if you're a student. The library on campus is highly likely to have all the papers available on a daily basis so you could do worse than trying there and reading a bit of all of them.

Yeah I'd echo that... £22 a month while you're a student will soon be better spent on Drink or Food. If you're Uni has a Journalism course get yourself down to the newsroom... They'll have the daily papers there.

The Times is very good, very centrist and very well-written. Can't go too far wrong with that.

The Guardian is alright, but it gets on my tits a bit. I'm a bit of a leftie, but when they bang on and on and on and on and on about the environment, it makes me want to go and start drilling for oil.

The Independent is pretty much the same, but does occasionally have an idea that no-one else has thought of. It's nice to have a bit of creative freestyling in the market, but it's so under-funded these days that you do worry about standards.

My favourite was always The Telegraph. Couldn't agree with the politics, but it was so well written and so authoritative. I still love the Obits and the Foreign, but they've made such nasty cuts to Sports that it's barely worth reading anymore, save for Henry Winter, naturally.

I've actually taken to reading the International Herald Tribune recently. Certainly gives you more of a global view, but that's not always a good thing. 2000 worders on the future of the German microchip industry are a bit much.

Mind you, the best broadsheet is probably the Financial Times. Well-backed, no hysteria, international view and hard-hitting columnists. No Page 3 girls though. Shame.

Back