• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Col u away game

Badger74

Manager
What is the best Col u away game you've been too and best goal against the scum and why?
Got so many its hard to choose but seen some fantastic goals such as Peter Johnsons strike back in 87 I think and Peter Dalys fantastic run and shot that saw us get promotion that season

I wasn't at the 3-0 in League 1 but watching at RH on the big screen was pretty ****ing good.

I can't really remember the Peter Daley game although I was there I was about 10, so would have to be last season.

What is the best Col u away game you've been too

1970 when we won 2-0. In those days everything at Layer Road was wooden, fans, terraces and barriers. Following a rendition of 'Knees up mother brown' (in their end) the barrier snapped and gave way. If it had'nt been for our 'big lads' then we could have witnessed a mini Ibrox disaster.

1970 when we won 2-0. In those days everything at Layer Road was wooden, fans, terraces and barriers. Following a rendition of 'Knees up mother brown' (in their end) the barrier snapped and gave way. If it had'nt been for our 'big lads' then we could have witnessed a mini Ibrox disaster.

Beat me to it Tony, we actually returned the snapped barrier to the OB. I remember the great "bounce" you got off the wooden terrace.

A 4-3 win a League Cup game, late 80s or early 90s. Dave Martin scored one of ours with a header.

Was also at the Daley game. When the big lad scored he ran into the Blues fans behind the goal and accidentally butted a bloke called Kez in the mouth. Blood everywhere.

Has to be the 3-0 win at their place in the 05/06 season, so much fun. Che Wilson and Kevin Maher scoring! But all the 4 times I've been to Layer Road they were eventful matches. Not been to the new lego ground yet.

Been some classics over the years but the 2-0 win there in 1990 was probably the best we were on our way up and they were going out the league. Over a thousand Southend fans singing 'Col U are going out the league singing Colu are going the League singing Col u are going the League, there one team in Essex in the merry month of May' 20 years on and thats still my favourite chant ever.

Outisde the ground Colu tried to make a stand against it but we laughed at them.

Been some classics over the years but the 2-0 win there in 1990 was probably the best we were on our way up and they were going out the league. Over a thousand Southend fans singing 'Col U are going out the league singing Colu are going the League singing Col u are going the League, there one team in Essex in the merry month of May' 20 years on and thats still my favourite chant ever.

Outisde the ground Colu tried to make a stand against it but we laughed at them.
Funny how times change ;)

Whats changed? oh the fact your boys don't even show when its been arranged months previous
Arranged? Are you referring to handbags at ten paces?:finger:
However, I can see how my post was misconstrued. Apologies if any offence taken :)

The 2-0 Peter Daley was my first visit to Layer Road and a great game but you cant beat the 3-0 in the first half for the sheer amount of **** taking I did at the ******s on the side. Great times.

Was also at the Daley game. When the big lad scored he ran into the Blues fans behind the goal and accidentally butted a bloke called Kez in the mouth. Blood everywhere.

Scouser though, so may not have been an accident ...;)

Mine was the 3-2 or 3-1 win in the LDV southern final. We hadnt played them in years were in a lower league but still kicked arse to make it to the millenium.

Was so good to beat them at layer road and i was in the seats at the far end looking at the rest of our support at the far end going mad.

Great night out.

Beat me to it Tony, we actually returned the snapped barrier to the OB. I remember the great "bounce" you got off the wooden terrace.

My favourites were in the Seventies and Eighties. Naughty but exciting. Saw some amazing incidents on the way too and back to the train station, and of course inside the ground.

Further to that, the Col U were totally silent so the chant echoed around the ground. One of my favourite memories.
What ever happened to Peter Daley eh?

Back