• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A team of Daves

GK
RB Robinson
LB Worthington
CD Cusack
CD Howell
CM Martin
CM Roche
LM Martin
RM Lee
CF Crown
CF Jack

Sub McSweeney, Cunningham, Regis

Managers Webb and Smith

Anyone think of a keeper?

Can't think of a keeper but remember Dave Young from the mid 70's was a fair player. He must have had a lot of bottle because he left Newcastle for Sunderland, then later in his career left Millwall for Charlton!!!!!

I considered buying David Lee's house a few years back, but sadly, his performances for Southend prevented this.

David Crown - Great player, great hair, great goal against Wigan.

Has to be David Crown, one of the best forwards we have had in the last 30 years and also a great person who always had a chat with supporters. Still see him at home and way games.

Agree with most of the comments re. David Crown-he was an exceptionally good finisher in the old Div. 4.We replaced him with Angell when we went up.My vote goes narrowly to Cusack who was the king-pin of possibly the best defence we've ever had(just check the figures esp. 80-81 season).The start of our rapid decline a few seasons later was when we sold him and Otulakowski to Millwall for next to nothing.Peter Watson in the sixties is the only better CH I've seen.

We also had Dave Chambers winger from the late '60's, but one that has not been mentioned was from early 1970's excellent midfield player played almost 200 games including 40 matches in our first ever promotion (1971-72) Dave Elliott.

yes, dave elliott was great,dave chambers was ok,with his "village people" moustache(like king billy had for a while),but dave cusack could well be our best..dave cunningham,was the drunkest!!!!!!!

DAVE ROBINSON for love and loyalty. DAVE WORTHINGTON for the fedora hat at Derby. He was suspended and gutted to miss the glamorous game to which the supporters club ran 52 coaches and a train!!!! He came onto the pitch in the hat and was given a tremendous reception from the massed Shrimpers!!

Oh..and another shout for Dave Cunningham. Could be a cheeky chappy or a nasty *******. I remember that for some reason I ran onto the pitch up at Hartlepool (why was I invading the pitch after a 1-1 draw up there?) and remembering asking Mr Cunningham if he was pleased with a point - he went ballistic!!

Not necessarily the best - but certainly a cult-type character - wee Davie Cunningham......
My lasting memory of Dave Cunningham was at the prize presentation at the end of a pre season tour in Belgium.Dave arrived late, on the back of a moped driven by an attractive Belgium girl.
He could be described as the lower league George Best, but without the skill :smile:

My lasting memory of Dave Cunningham was at the prize presentation at the end of a pre season tour in Belgium.Dave arrived late, on the back of a moped driven by an attractive Belgium girl.
He could be described as the lower league George Best, but without the skill :smile:
Description of wee Davey - spot on!!

It has to be Cusack, one of the best centre backs I've ever seen in lower league football. Good in the air, tackled hard, consistent and read the game as well as anyone. He wasn't the fastest nor blessed with great passing skills but in his era he fulfilled every criteria needed from a centre half.

Back