• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Best debut goals?

Leon Clarke's at home to Gillingham in 2007/08. 2 excellent assists first and then added an impressive goal for our 3rd.

Still think we'd have gone back up to the Championship that season if we had extended his loan or bought him outright in the January. I know his attitude/commitment was questionable in the last few games of his loan, but he was in limbo a bit with regards to his future and he was only young. Think he needed some certainty and an arm round the shoulder. But he was quality.

Last edited:

Leon Clarke's at home to Gillingham in 2007/08. 2 excellent assists first and then added an impressive goal for our 3rd.

Still think we'd have gone back up to the Championship that season if we had extended his loan or bought him outright in the January.
Bailey and Macca (in his prime) - what I'd give for a central midfield pairing like that now.

Was looking for Humphry's brace at Bradford (recall one of them being a cracker) but video no longer seems available. Did find this though;

Was looking for Humphry's brace at Bradford (recall one of them being a cracker) but video no longer seems available. Did find this though;

Still on our and Bradford's YouTube pages

I always remember a glancing header from substitute Francis Laurent being a superb finish.

Still on our and Bradford's YouTube pages
Four insanely good goals there. I also kind of hate this match though, as after this was when it really began to fall apart. Think we were comfortably top half after this result and then bombed. I kind of consider that Bradford match to be our last good and non-crisis victory.

Still think we'd have gone back up to the Championship that season if we had extended his loan or bought him outright in the January. I know his attitude/commitment was questionable in the last few games of his loan, but he was in limbo a bit with regards to his future and he was only young. Think he needed some certainty and an arm round the shoulder. But he was quality.

Remember this goal well and its always stuck in my mind.

Clarke was a quality player and if it wasn't for his attitude he would of been an even better player. I remember Tilly sent him back after the terrible performance where we got beat 3 nil I think at Donny. Having been there that day, Clarke was literally walking around the pitch all game long, it was clear he didn't want to play for us, so he simply had to go back.

Also remember Forrest away and him headbutting someone really early on in the game and costing us.

Freddie Eastwood's has got to feature. Certainly the fastest debut goal I've ever seen and followed by another two for his hat trick.

Richard Cadette scored four goals on debut against his previous club Orient. I’d imagine at least one of them would have been decent... It’s a shame there is no tv footage available from those days.
One of my favourite ever Southend players. This was a great game.

Four insanely good goals there. I also kind of hate this match though, as after this was when it really began to fall apart. Think we were comfortably top half after this result and then bombed. I kind of consider that Bradford match to be our last good and non-crisis victory.

I seem to remember we had been in poor form coming in to this game, with this result feeling like a corner turned. Maybe not.

Back