• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Driver

Best Modern Driver

• Alonso

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mansell

• Hamilton

• Hakkinen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Some debate in another thread about driver/car/team combos in F1.

The Driver ultimately drives the team. Sometimes a driver benefits from a brilliant car. For me Schumacher was the best in recent times. He took the Benetton team to the World championship from nowhere and did the same for Ferrari who had been stumbling around in the wilderness for years.
Which other driver contributed so much to the sport?

No Damon Hill?

IMO Schmacher would have been competitive in a milk float, and as you point out took a low profile Benetton team to a championship before moving to an under performing Ferrari team.

If this was phrased as most exciting driver then Senna for me, but I always thought he was an accident waiting to happen.

schumacher - in the dry, the good cars will always win, but in the wet, the best driver will win, he was the king of the wet

Schumacher. He won in a Benneton, and turned Ferrari from a rabble into World Champions. He was a genius behind the wheel, no question at all - as Harry says, he could have won in a milk float.

Schuey and Senna, both absolute giants in this sport, with Schuey much derided I think because he made things look so easy. Agree completely with Dave, in the wet he was just way superior to everyone. Did they ever race at the same time? Memory seems to suggest Schumacher was just starting out when Senna died, would have loved to see them compete properly.

Schumacher. He won in a Benneton, and turned Ferrari from a rabble into World Champions. He was a genius behind the wheel, no question at all - as Harry says, he could have won in a milk float.

I know the question asks for "the best", but I can't vote for a boring cheat with no flair. he was a machine and ultra-consistent, but for me Senna just had that natural ability and balls and he made driving and overtaking look so effortless that I just had to pick him

i think as Martin Brundle said when Schuey retired... if he had won one less world championship and 6 less races, everyone would agree Schumacher was the best

Schuey and Senna, both absolute giants in this sport, with Schuey much derided I think because he made things look so easy. Agree completely with Dave, in the wet he was just way superior to everyone. Did they ever race at the same time? Memory seems to suggest Schumacher was just starting out when Senna died, would have loved to see them compete properly.

I had lemmings on my Amiga 500+

Schumacher is obviously going to be up there, but don't overestimate what he did at Benetton. The Benetton had exactly the same Renault engine as Williams did when Schumacher won his two world titles, so obviously it was going to be quick, and don't forget that he had the brilliant support team of Briatore, Symonds, Brawn and Byrne around him. Yes the team was nothing 4 or 5 years before that, but the car was joint best on the grid in '94 and '95. What Senna did in the Lotus in the mid-80s was more impressive.

This is tough. Senna I would say is the absolute best ever. Nobody comes close with racer's instinct (not yet, anyway). He could 'feel' things in the car that other drivers couldn't. Schumacher is just behind him, and Mansell just behind him (better natural ability than Prost I think). I have a soft spot for Mika Hakkinen but he's not on Senna's or Schumacher's level, and I think Alonso and perhaps Hamilton will be right up there come their careers' end, but it's hard to tell at the moment.

Damon Hill, I would say, is not on there because he really wasn't a brilliant driver. Good, but not brilliant.

I really don't know much about F1 - it's just not been the same since Alessandro Nannini lost his arm - but I believe many experts rate Jim Clark as the greatest ever.

Senna was outstanding just not as consistent as Schuey. Seeing the two at their peak would have been great.

One of his best achievements was 3 podium with the Toleman team in 1984.
I can clearly remember rain affected Monaco from that season .This from Wiki:
passing Niki Lauda for second on lap 19. He quickly began to cut the gap to race leader Alain Prost, but before he could attack Prost the race was stopped on lap 31 for safety reasons, as the rain had grown even heavier. At the time the race was stopped Senna was catching upto the race leader at 4 seconds per lap

and I think Alonso and perhaps Hamilton will be right up there come their careers' end
If you say Hamilton why not include Button? Hamilton was in a great car. Button is now, and is blowing Barrichello away. Whats to say he isnt better than Lewis.

Senna was outstanding just not as consistent as Schuey. Seeing the two at their peak would have been great.

One of his best achievements was 3 podium with the Toleman team in 1984.
I can clearly remember rain affected Monaco from that season .This from Wiki:

If you say Hamilton why not include Button? Hamilton was in a great car. Button is now, and is blowing Barrichello away. Whats to say he isnt better than Lewis.

Again, like on the other thread, you are kinda twisiting my words/putting words in my mouth. I didn't mention Button because he wasn't featured on your original list of selections. He is one of the best drivers on the grid at the moment, no doubt, and if the success of the Brawn team continues and he realises that talent and potential then he will be up there come his career's end too.

Because Hamilton beat the current world champion in his rookie season in an equal car

If Senna hadn't have died so young I doubt that Schumacher would have won as many titles, I also don't think Hill would have won one either.

senna was supposed to be a shoe in for the title the season he died.. in a williams widely regarded as the best car of the time.. who was behind him when he stacked it that fateful day..? herr schumacher.. some believe that senna knew he was past his best and wanted one more title to say goodbye.. and that he was gobsnacked that the upstart kraut was pushing him so hard in a 'crap' car and that he over drove himself into that wall...

Back