• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

chadded

Not striking since 2004
Following on from Yorkshire Blue's thread about inept displays, I thought I might as well start one about towering displays of immenseness.

Off the top of my head, I have to nominate Freddy Eastwood's debut, on Sat 16 Oct 04. If scoring after 7 seconds of your debut isn't enough, he finishes his afternoon's work with the match ball.

Any other performances worthy?

Mahers performance against QPR was simply magnificent, a once in a lifetime performance for a fairly limited footballer.

I'd say midget man's Darryl Flahavan's performance against Man Utd is worthy of recognition.

Gordon Connelly's half against Brighton, the only time he looked like a footballer.

Last edited:
Richard Cadette's skill for our third goal in the 4-4 draw V Northampton at the Hall in Dec. '86 remains a wonderful memory. Also, David Crown in the second half v Wigan on April Fool's Day '88 was immense. What a finale that was! :happy:

Jonathan Hunt Derby away 27th Nov 1993 superb performance & goal. Infact the whole team played well that day with a 3-1 away win to take us up to 3rd in Div1 (Championship). Still ranks as probably the best ever away display I have seen Southend play. Total football for 90 mins had Derby chasing shadows. What a season that could have been!

Mind you we still had a couple of shockers early that season the 4-0 defeat at Grimsby was not good.

Richard Cadette's skill for our third goal in the 4-4 draw V Northampton at the Hall in Dec. '86 remains a wonderful memory. Also, David Crown in the second half v Wigan on April Fool's Day '88 was immense. What a finale that was! :happy:

Agree with both of those, and will add Adam Barretts performance at the LDV final against Wrexham. He covered every inch of the Millenium stadium that day, and was desperately unlucky with a diving header when we were 1-0 down.

Daryl Flahavan at Hartlepool during our title winning season, we had gone 8 games without a win and were getting a little jittery, we conceeded early but fought back to get in front thanks to a late Wayne Gray penalty, Flavs had already made 10 world class saves but saved the best for last as no only did he save an injury time spot kick but kept out the point blank follow up too

No Doubt Yorkshire Blue will of found a fault with the display but for me and the other 119 Shrimpers present its a performance that will live long in the memory

Keith Jones midfield display in the FA Cup at Goodison Park.
Despite losing 1 - 0 he totally bossed the midfield against top flight opposition. We were desperately unlucky not to get something out of the game and Keith Jones put in a faultless display.

Keith Jones midfield display in the FA Cup at Goodison Park.
Despite losing 1 - 0 he totally bossed the midfield against top flight opposition. We were desperately unlucky not to get something out of the game and Keith Jones put in a faultless display.

the everton fans clapping our boys off at the end spoke volumes, southall made one jaw dropping save to deny us

How Southall made that save from Benji I'll never know. It was right underneath the Southend fans and I was up cheering a goal as Benji hit it, so didn't really see Southall spoil the moment. Have never seen the save again either, as TV coverage was not quite so expansive then!!

Back