• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best goal seen at Roots Hall

south247

Coach⭐
I was chatting to a mate last night and Southend came up in conversation, obviously. He mentioned he saw Chelmsford play at RH in late 60s in the Essex Floodlit league. And saw the best goal ever. Chelmsford player called Glen Andrews volleyed a goal kick from halfway line. Went like an arrow apparently. Anyone remember this or indeed this being done by anyone else? If our current players tried it the ball would end up in Southend Hospital. Or Westcliff.

Wouldn't describe it as the best goal seen at RH but I remember Neil Townsend (centre half) clearing a ball from just inside the North bank end as only he could. He aimless punted towards the south bank. The keeper came out to 'field it'. He misjudged its flight. It bounced in front of him and over his head. As he turned to retrieve a not lost cause. He slipped and rather than stand up and run back to gather it he choose to crawl on all fours. The ball trickled towards the goal always just out of reach of his grasp.

We won 1 - 0.

Just looked it up and pretty sure it was Monday evening the 21st April 1975 against Bury.
Sorry to correct you Crowstone, it was in April but 3 years later against Darlington. The reason I know was that I remember seeing the goal (and that Darlington were the opposition) and the Bury game in 1975 was one I missed as I was then at university.

Gerry Francis for Exeter in 1983 - the whole crowd stood and applauded him. Smacked it in from 30 yards plus …..

Sorry to correct you Crowstone, it was in April but 3 years later against Darlington. The reason I know was that I remember seeing the goal (and that Darlington were the opposition) and the Bury game in 1975 was one I missed as I was then at university.
Fair enough.

I was kind of guessing it was 1975 v Bury cos i remembered it to be the only goal of the game.

Unfortunately memory fades with the years...

Wouldn't describe it as the best goal seen at RH but I remember Neil Townsend (centre half) clearing a ball from just inside the North bank end as only he could. He aimless punted towards the south bank. The keeper came out to 'field it'. He misjudged its flight. It bounced in front of him and over his head. As he turned to retrieve a not lost cause. He slipped and rather than stand up and run back to gather it he choose to crawl on all fours. The ball trickled towards the goal always just out of reach of his grasp.

We won 1 - 0.
I have regaled that story several times verbally to friends and at least a couple of times on here. Funniest goal EVER.

It was against Darlington and we won 2-0 (sorry Crowstone!). I was in the West and had a side on view. The ball went over his head right on the edge of the area, I thought he would just turn round and catch it but no, he walked, stumbled, fell and then just crawled, I believe diving on the ball as it crossed the line.

I saw two absolute crackers scored by Alan Curtis playing for Swansea in a red/green striped kit that, under the lights, made your eyes go funny.

They were two absolute screamers from distance, RH almost to a man applauded. Superb strikes. We lost 2-1 having taken the lead through Tony Hadley I believe.

Any of Steve Phillips's little 'dinks' over the onrushing goalkeeper's in 1v1's

He seemed to do it every other week (or was it just my memory)

Tommy Mooney’s first goal against Oxford in the 6-1 beating when Judas was manager. Sublime run from Ricky Otto and incredible finish from Mooney.

Might be my mind playing tricks on me but Tes Bramble blasting one into top corner when the play had already been called dead for off side, must have been just in opposition half?

Back