• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best goal seen at Roots Hall

Damon Searle vs Rushden was an all time favourite of mine:

Eastwood vs Man United purely because it was euphoric.

And I remember DJ Campbell scoring a belter against us when we beat Brentford 4-1. I remember most of the home fans clapping him for it. Can’t find a video for it but would love to see it again. Probably around 2006. Some player Campbell was.

Gary Hooper for Grays against us in the Essex senior Cup! Was from a restart and he's knocked it from near the halfway line. Probably only a few hundred in attendance that night but I've never seen a strike like it

I remember Ronnie Whelan scoring a beautifully placed free kick at the South Stand end - no idea who it was against, but I had a great view from my old front-row season ticket in the South Upper.

I didn't see it in person, but Ricky Otto away at Barnsley was something special.

I remember Ronnie Whelan scoring a beautifully placed free kick at the South Stand end - no idea who it was against, but I had a great view from my old front-row season ticket in the South Upper.
Bristol City I think.

I loved Mitchell Cole's goal against Colchester in 2005. Huge celebration. Wish I could find a video.

I didn't see it in person, but Ricky Otto away at Barnsley was something special.
Otto away at Luton was better.

What a talent he was, how lucky if you got to see him for us (like me!)

The best goal I have ever seen scored by a Southend player at Roots Hall , was Bob Worthingtons 35 yarder against Plymouth in Aug 74 in the North Bank end , how that never broke the net I do not know . Another great goal by a Southend player was scored by Trevor Roberts when he was playing for the Belfairs school masters against the school Easter 1970 on the Belfairs playing field . Trevor held two players off before hitting a 35 yard shot that had Belfairs pupil and Southend youth player Simon Thorose beaten all the way .

There was a freekick in the championship season, cant remember if it was gower against norwich or maher against QPR

The best goal I have ever seen scored by a Southend player at Roots Hall , was Bob Worthingtons 35 yarder against Plymouth in Aug 74 in the North Bank end , how that never broke the net I do not know . Another great goal by a Southend player was scored by Trevor Roberts when he was playing for the Belfairs school masters against the school Easter 1970 on the Belfairs playing field . Trevor held two players off before hitting a 35 yard shot that had Belfairs pupil and Southend youth player Simon Thorose beaten all the way .
I remember that Worthington strike!

That 91-92 season was fantastic. I know it tailed off towards the end following the fall out between Webb and Jobson, but my god there were some great matches along the way, culminating in the 4-0 demolition of Newcastle on New Year's Day which took us top of the table for 3 hours at least.

Again, here it is. This is in my top 3 too.

It's funny what you remember. I remember vividly that when Angell headed in the second goal in the Luton match, the ball seemed to dip on him at the last minute forcing him to stoop. I don't remember it being a windy day or anything either!

Back