• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best goal seen at Roots Hall

I remember Ronnie Whelan scoring a beautifully placed free kick at the South Stand end - no idea who it was against, but I had a great view from my old front-row season ticket in the South Upper.

I didn't see it in person, but Ricky Otto away at Barnsley was something special.
I think it was bristol city

Maher was south stand, could have sworn Hammell was in front of the away end.
Must have been Maher then. Was in front of the south stand.
I had it as gower in my mind against Norwich but must have stuck there because of the equaliser a google tells me it was hammell with a free kick in that game

Most of my favourites have been mentioned already (mainly by @GNH ) but has anyone said John Nielsen v Bolton yet?

One of the best away goals I’ve seen at Roots Hall was Paul Birch for Wolves.

Also a shout out for Gillingham’s own goal in the League Cup when two Gills defenders went up for the same ball, knocked each other out (they’d already used two of their subs so had to finish with 10men) and looped the ball into the top corner.

Tommy Horsfall v York in April 1973. 40 yards out at least? Never to be repeated unfortunately.

What memories! From my north bank days Davey Crown & a young lad recently signed from non-league Witham Town (those were the days) by the name of Tilson both scoring screamers in a 3-1 win v table topping Wolves in 1989.
Most of the goals already mentioned I saw from the West Stand, but would like to add a couple. Eastwood rolling it into a keeperless net from almost the corner flag vs Hartlepool in 2006 his 2nd goal in that game weren't to sad if I remember either. Adam Barrett's 20 yarder v Brighton in 2008 from a Peter Clarke knock back was memorable.
South lower would be Ricey's pick of Scotty Forbes v Canvey.
South upper would be Nathan Jones v Cheltenham last game of the season in 2000.
From the East stand both Moshni & Ryan Hall's goals v Northampton in 2011 were crackers, and to be fair Akinfenwa's for them was pretty good as well.
The aforementioned Paul Birch screamer for Wolves lives long in the memory. I remember walking out of the West stand disappointed we had lost, but thinking what a goal to lose to. Special.

Most of my favourites have been mentioned already (mainly by @GNH ) but has anyone said John Nielsen v Bolton yet?

One of the best away goals I’ve seen at Roots Hall was Paul Birch for Wolves.

Also a shout out for Gillingham’s own goal in the League Cup when two Gills defenders went up for the same ball, knocked each other out (they’d already used two of their subs so had to finish with 10men) and looped the ball into the top corner.
I've got Johnny Neisen's autograph. My friend got it for me after he delivered him a pizza. He says, "Best wises, John Nielsen". Think he was mainly at Southend for the legendary drinking culture at the club, which one of the best in the country at the time under the expert tutelage of Ronnie Whelan.

Last edited:
Back