• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BEST PERFORMANCE FROM A SOUTHEND KEEPER EVER?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

danburyshrimper

Manager
Last nights performance from Paul Smith was unbelievably brilliant. He made so many World Class saves you could see that Brentford were starting to think it wasnt their night despite 90 minutes shooting practice. If you were at Griffin Park to see it , was this the best goalkeeping display you've ever seen from a Southend keeper?

I've not seen one better, although last night YB mentioned Roycie v West Ham. Smith was quite superb last night.

Paul Smith was superb last night,This great display should give him a lot of confidence for the rest of the season.

I think it probably was the best I've seen - just about shading Flavs against Man Utd. A Brentford fan rang Talksport last night and said Smith made 7/8 world class saves. (Also praised the away fans support last night)

Paul Smith was superb last night,This great display should give him a lot of confidence for the rest of the season.

Lets hope. Could be the only thing that stops us plummeting to the wrong end of the table.

Last night was by far and away the best goalkeeping display I have ever seen by a Southend goalkeeper. Flavs against Man U was good, but he only made about 3 fantastic saves.

Last night was just incredible. Even when they were awarded a penalty I said to my dad and brother that I wasn't worried because I was sure Smith would save it, and he did. It wasn't a bad penalty, the save was just out of this world.

It was also telling that he was given the joint man of the match award.

Well done Smith...

Heroic.

And when he came to applaud us you heard 'Southend's Number One' he looked completely happy with that.

So we did win something last night Smith's confidence and backing from the fans. Which will prove much more important than an 8-0 spanking at home to Chelsea for the rest of season (apart from the 300K which we could have done with).

Mildenhall put in a shift and a half against MK Dons in a Leyland Daf game at their place when they won 2-0 and could have won 10-0 and we were awful but there weren't as many world class saves as last night.

The tip over the bar in the first half

The one down low to deny Donaldson

The superb double save in the second half

The penalty save

Countless others

Top top performance Paul Smith. Best performance I've ever seen from a Southend keeper.

The worst thing about his performance last night (well the most frustrating), is that the two goals we did concede where soft compared to those he saved!

Not saying its his fault though, and his performance was the best I have seen in 11 years following the blues!

As I've already said I am not a Smith fan but his performance last night for me was the best I have ever seen from a Southend kepper. I hope this kicks his sufc on because he has looked very dodgy and shot of confidence since he joined us.

Ayrshire Blue said:
Smith's performance last night is up there with Daryl's against United.
Smith's performance last night ****ed all over Darryl's against Man U. All of Darryl's saves, although good, were all at a reasonable height for a keeper (and there were only about 4 or 5). Smith last night made at least 15 top class saves, and they were all of a different variety, low, high, right, left, and then he topped it with probably the best penalty save I've ever seen.

from reports and forums and fans views it sounded like one hell of a performance. did not see it personally would of loved to. keep it up smudge top work i always kept the faith. lets stay consistant and we might well be goin up

The worst thing about his performance last night (well the most frustrating), is that the two goals we did concede where soft compared to those he saved!

Not saying its his fault though, and his performance was the best I have seen in 11 years following the blues!

The first goal was down to either Cresswell or Clohessy just letting the man run off them at the back post.

Second goal was the guy beaten Barker for pace. If Barker's playing LB he needs to make his challenge early and not back off as he'll get beat for pace all day long.

Flavs made several great saves at home to Man United and I seem to recall Paul Sansome having a blinder as we
got mauled at Shrewsbury a few years ago and still won 0-1. Although his performance did not get us a result for the quality and quantity of saves made by Smith last night he get's my vote as the best goalkeeping performance I can recall in the last forty years.

Wasn't there so cannot comment except from what I heard on BP, but what I would like to know from Smudge is 'what was different'? Did he go all out to prove his doubters wrong, or did he just review how he was going to deal with the game?
Whatever the reason, let's hope this is the start of a new Southend goalkeeping legend.

I think it probably was the best I've seen - just about shading Flavs against Man Utd. A Brentford fan rang Talksport last night and said Smith made 7/8 world class saves. (Also praised the away fans support last night)

Best goalkeeping performance i can remember from a Southend keepr in the 30 years i have been going.

Fans, Inside the ground - brilliant!
Fans, Outside the away end 5 minutes before the start of the game - Shameful! It almost made people not even enter the ground. Some elderly and some with kids were so disillusioned they didnt care if we'd won or lost, such was the disgraceful scenes.

Back