• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where as the drinking establishment's of Leyton Orient are all top notch. The Forresters has always and will be for ever more a dump but compared to what you must be used to it is a shining palace.

Idiot.

I'm happy being an idiot too then as I'd take the pubs around Brisbane Road over ours any day. Mind you, we do have a new one to try near the Hall this season.
http://www.saxonkingpubsouthend.co.uk/

I just can't shake this image I have in my head of Jonny_Stokes setting his alarm clock for the middle of the night. He then creeps out of bed and fires up the laptop and swoops on ShrimperZone, firing off the stuff that, sadly, only he can do. Job done, he goes back to sleep a happier Orient supporter. Obviously he may be an insomniac or night worker, but I prefer my version of events. I have no views on Genial Harry as he is a true Blues supporter and can do what he likes in my book.:smile:

To be fair to Jonny he is right, unfortunately. However, the Old Trout in London Road is decent. There is a shortage of pubs serving decent ale in town. This is probably ironically due to the temptation of landlords to pander to Fosters drinking cretins from East London that stink the place out every summer.

Jonny Stokes is an idiot. Of course he is. But he's right about the pubs. Birkbeck is a cracker and I enjoyed a good drink in the Supporters Club when London Broncos played a game at Brisbane Road.

Looking forward to sampling one of the other pubs JS mentions when we get Orient away in the FA Cup quarter-finals this season.

Granted, Southend is a bit thin on the ground for decent ale pubs but lets be honest here, does the average football supporter travel to away grounds for the beer or the football.

Jonny Stokes is an idiot. Of course he is. But he's right about the pubs. Birkbeck is a cracker and I enjoyed a good drink in the Supporters Club when London Broncos played a game at Brisbane Road.

Looking forward to sampling one of the other pubs JS mentions when we get Orient away in the FA Cup quarter-finals this season.

Agreed, JS is a complete ******** whos addicted to this site,but i must agree with him that there is a couple of nice boozers back passed the station at their **** hole,just can't remember the names.

Agreed, JS is a complete ******** whos addicted to this site,but i must agree with him that there is a couple of nice boozers back passed the station at their **** hole,just can't remember the names.
Used to like The Northcote (in Grove Green Road), Swiss, but I'm going back a long time.

In Southend, The Minerva and The Forresters on the seafront are worth visiting - keep on the train past Prittlewell and then walk back up past the pier and along The High Street to the ground after a couple of pints.

By ground I mean Roots Hall - this may all change soon as building work on the new ground is due to start in a few days.
The Minerva was a real rough diamond of a pub and well worth a visit before gigs at The Kursaal - last time I was over there though it was an Indian restaurant called 'The Tiffin' (I think) > but I'd be delighted if all the old Teds were back in there again.

I used to run that pub many years ago when it served up Newquay Steam Beers and Ruddles.

lived in exeter for 5 years,great place,great boozers all over the place.And as you wrote..newquay steam & ruddles are top beers,..and dont forget westcountry cider...im sure you remember it & had a few.."NATCH"..always drunk ruddles ,in the old intercity 125 buffetbar.. here in Germany, at our club..deutsch-english club,someone always brings back ,for our "bierfest" cider & old speckled hen..also a great beer

Granted, Southend is a bit thin on the ground for decent ale pubs but lets be honest here, does the average football supporter travel to away grounds for the beer or the football.

remember going twice 75-76??, with the great man himself "Gus" and mates...he always knew where the good pubs were for real ale & scrumpy,,too be honest, now im older, i always look for a good "ale",but true the "younger "ones may not.

I used to run that pub many years ago when it served up Newquay Steam Beers and Ruddles.

was that the pub near st james station??may have popped into there a few time,before the game..lived in Exeter from 85-90..great place..the missus,who is Germanm & fussy!!, really loved the whole place,people & area as well

Rochdale have three decent boozers close to the ground - the Cemetary being the other one.

Pubs in Southend are uniformly ****, in my - admittedly limited - experience. Foresters the best of a poor bunch.

Is this in the dead centre of town?

Is this in the dead centre of town?

No, but it is down the hill a ways. A brisk 10 minute schlep. Or, for a certain heavily inebriated Orient fan, 30 minutes in the wrong direction, 45 minutes back and a snooze at the bar where we found him 2 hours later.

Sorry to say I'm agreeing with Jonny_Stokes as well here as The Birkbeck is a cracking pub. Good beer,live music,dart team and landlord is decent bloke (if it is the same one as when I went) a real oasis in a sea of s***.
Southend is a shocking town for a decent pint. If you have the time, go to Leigh.

remember going twice 75-76??, with the great man himself "Gus" and mates...he always knew where the good pubs were for real ale & scrumpy,,too be honest, now im older, i always look for a good "ale",but true the "younger "ones may not.

The Red Cow near St David's station. Think they're still looking for that barrel of cider.

Back