• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hi Guys,

I am compiling a new fans guide for the coming season and am after real fans views of which are the best pubs on match days for both home fans & visiting supporters.

Which are the "main pubs" for home fans around the ground..?

Can you let me know the best 5 or so around the ground please and any local establishments that particularly cater for and welcome visiting supporters - pubs, restaurants, parking facilities attractions etc.

Also, any suggestions of pubs that you have visited at other away grounds which are good for away supporters on match days would be great.

Many thanks

Rob

Our first game of the season is away at Accers and I have always found The Crown to be a pub worthwhile visiting with a good mixture of home and away fans. Mind, you have to get there quite early as it can be quite busy. I can't remember the ale - which may or may not say something about the establishment. :unsure:

Our first game of the season is away at Accers and I have always found The Crown to be a pub worthwhile visiting with a good mixture of home and away fans. Mind, you have to get there quite early as it can be quite busy. I can't remember the ale - which may or may not say something about the establishment. :unsure:

Big mistake! The Greyhound down the road does a pint for £1.35!

Big mistake! The Greyhound down the road does a pint for £1.35!

It's the quality of the pint that I am most interested in. £1.35 per pint is a false economy if it is too poor to drink - not that I am saying that is the case at The Greyhound as I haven't visited it ..... yet. I may report back late August though!

It's the quality of the pint that I am most interested in. £1.35 per pint is a false economy if it is too poor to drink - not that I am saying that is the case at The Greyhound as I haven't visited it ..... yet. I may report back late August though!

The greyhound is a Samuel Smiths pub --the £1:35 is for a pint of dark mild, it's nectar as are all the ales served by a landlord who knows how to look after his ales

Lenny could well be banned now from traveling with TZ for giving away our little discovery :winking:

The greyhound is a Samuel Smiths pub --the £1:35 is for a pint of dark mild, it's nectar as are all the ales served by a landlord who knows how to look after his ales

Lenny could well be banned now from traveling with TZ for giving away our little discovery :winking:

Sam Smiths. All is now clear - although £1.35 sounds low even for this brewery - one could do a lot worse.

As for being a secret .... you'd better hope that no-one looks on their web-site .......:whistling:

My brother took me to The White Horse at Wycombe a few years back. Very hazy memory as it was my stag do but I do remember the staff were exceptionally friendly.

Couldn't tell you very much about the beer, though they do serve great Jaegerbombs.

And the staff were very very friendly.

Thanks guys, all very useful!

Places you have been and places around your gaff are all very useful.

Cheers.

In Southend, The Minerva and The Forresters on the seafront are worth visiting - keep on the train past Prittlewell and then walk back up past the pier and along The High Street to the ground after a couple of pints.

By ground I mean Roots Hall - this may all change soon as building work on the new ground is due to start in a few days.

At Rochdale they have a pub like club room built into the ground and it was excellent, with friendly locals and food readily available.

The Baum in Rochdale was one of the best pubs I have ever been in. CAMRA think so too - was national pub of the year 2013 I believe.

Rochdale have three decent boozers close to the ground - the Cemetary being the other one.

Pubs in Southend are uniformly ****, in my - admittedly limited - experience. Foresters the best of a poor bunch.

Rochdale have three decent boozers close to the ground - the Cemetary being the other one.

Pubs in Southend are uniformly ****, in my - admittedly limited - experience. Foresters the best of a poor bunch.

Where as the drinking establishment's of Leyton Orient are all top notch. The Forresters has always and will be for ever more a dump but compared to what you must be used to it is a shining palace.

Idiot.

Where as the drinking establishment's of Leyton Orient are all top notch. The Forresters has always and will be for ever more a dump but compared to what you must be used to it is a shining palace.

Idiot.

Well, for the uninformed average Southend fan, whose experience of Leyton boozers are invariably limited to the vile Coach & Horses or King Harold, that might appear to be the case. However, the Birkbeck Tavern has been described by an owner of this very site as "a great football pub" - and that's only the fourth best pub in Leyton these days.

The Supporters' Club has won CAMRA London club of the year 5 years straight, and picked up the national title once as well. The William IV brews on site, has over 20 beers on tap and Polish barmaids with cracking tits. Then there's the Technical, which is a bit hipster for my tastes and wouldn't let the likes of you in at all, but that can only be considered a recommendation.

If we ever play you again you can check them out.

Back