• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Best left back in recent years?

Best LB?

• Che Wilson

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Steven Hammell

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Charlie Mulgrew

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Dan Harding

Votes: 38 30.9%

• Total voters

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
So we've gone from Che, through to Harding, with a stint with Hammell and Mulgrew.

So who out of the 4 is the best right back we have had playing for us?

For me it has to be Hammell, defensively reasonably strong and a wicked set piece.

Tough choice. Hammell was decent but got turned by the winger too often, Mulgrew had a wicked left foot and was decent at defending, Harding is the most solid at defending I think, so I've gone for him.

Could also gone down to whom plays in front of them, ie, Hammell had good understanding with Gower etc.
Like Che, but I think Mulgrew.

A fit Che in my opinion has probably been our best left back, comfortable on the ball, equally confident on the left or right foot. A good old fashioned left back and apart from that a thoroughly decent bloke who had time to speak to anyone and everyone.
Bumped into Freddie Eastwood at the petrol station on the way home, asked what the score was, how we were doing and who was playing up front for us now !!!!

Loved Che, I know he wasn't particularly able, but he was solid and dependable, not as flamboyant as some of the others and always responsive to the crowd, and look at what we achieved with him in the side. Never really rated Hammell I'm afraid, liked Mulgrew and like Harding as well, who is the most complete player of these choices. It's all well and good having a flashy left foot for dead balls, but your prime job is still to defend!

Loved Che, I know he wasn't particularly able, but he was solid and dependable, not as flamboyant as some of the others and always responsive to the crowd, and look at what we achieved with him in the side. Never really rated Hammell I'm afraid, liked Mulgrew and like Harding as well, who is the most complete player of these choices. It's all well and good having a flashy left foot for dead balls, but your prime job is still to defend!

Exactly. Priority is to defend well, if you can attack too that's a bonus and that's why Harding edges it from Mulgrew for me.

i think dan harding has come in and done a great job. even tho he is on-loan he has played with the passion as if he was an actual blue player.
Good news that he has been quoted he would like to stay.

Che Wilson was a great lad and played well for us, shame to see him go.

They are all very different players but in terms of value to the team, each successive one is better than the previous as you go down the list. That's progress I guess.

damon searle wasn't a bad player for us...

johnny herd has looked decent for the reserves at left-back and maybe one for the future?

Liked them all, Mulgrew had a great set piece his defending wasn't outstanding.

Harding also pretty decent going forward but for me a better defender than Mulgrew.

Defensively Harding is the best left-back since Sir Chrissy Powell.

Mulgrew was class on the ball, although I'm not sure left-back was his best position.

Never understood the infatuation with Hammell. He might have kept Ronaldo quiet, but he was pretty woeful defensively for most of our season in the championship. I think he got rave reviews for just not being Che.

Nicky Nic didn't do so badly there either back in the day.

z7shysterical.gif

Mulgrew easily the best for me. Harding can sometimes be a major liability. Has looked very shaky away from home several times.

Someone mentioned Nicalou......what a **** the player not the poster of course, mulgrew for me he was so good on the ball and took such a good free kick it made me moist

Back