• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
If Phil Brown was given the budget to sign just one and assuming all three were up for grabs who would you have?

I have literally loved all three of these lads. Makes me think had we had two from three of them all season we might well have gone up. I think Egan just edges the other two but would kill to get any of them onboard.

Thoughts?

I thought Luke O'Neill looked really class until he was injured. Shame we didn't see him again. Out of the 3, I'd take Egan.

Sokolik. He oozes class, he's not just your typical 'defender', he's a player.

I didn't really seen enough of Kiernan earlier in the season but I suspect there's a reason he's now playing semi-regularly for a promotion chasing championship side.

My vote is for Egan though. He's just too good for us.

All of them have been amazing - Kiernan will end up third in this poll but he was class. He's playing Championship football regularly now and was key to that great run we went on. Loanee defenders (along with Prosser's cataclysmic rise in form) have been central to our (qualified) success, just as the failure to find a winning partnership up front has been detrimental.

All of them have been amazing - Kiernan will end up third in this poll but he was class. He's playing Championship football regularly now and was key to that great run we went on. Loanee defenders (along with Prosser's cataclysmic rise in form) have been central to our (qualified) success, just as the failure to find a winning partnership up front has been detrimental.

Dont want to turn this into a Prosser bashing thread but I think the three loan central defenders we have had have shown what a decent central defender looks like. Pretty sure there must be more out there that we could get on loan as well. To me the modern day defender needs to be able to distribute as well and that is where Prosser is lacking.

It's very,very close- sadly all 3 are and will remain light years ahead of Prosser-but going upwards it has to be 3 Egan 2 Kiernan 1 Sokolic.

In what position?

Dont want to turn this into a Prosser bashing thread but I think the three loan central defenders we have had have shown what a decent central defender looks like. Pretty sure there must be more out there that we could get on loan as well. To me the modern day defender needs to be able to distribute as well and that is where Prosser is lacking.

I think it shows what a central defender contracted to a Championship or Premiership club should like and why all three will most probably enjoy a career above League 2.

Prosser has grown into decent enough League 2 central defender. Certainly his distribution can be lacking at times but it is no worse than Phillips (in fact probably better) or Thompsons. In fact I cannot remember any League 2 central defenders that have dazzled me this season with their distribution skills!

I think it shows what a central defender contracted to a Championship or Premiership club should like and why all three will most probably enjoy a career above League 2.

Prosser has grown into decent enough League 2 central defender. Certainly his distribution can be lacking at times but it is no worse than Phillips (in fact probably better) or Thompsons. In fact I cannot remember any League 2 central defenders that have dazzled me this season with their distribution skills!

I bet had we spoken to Liverpool at the start of the season we could have had Jakub all year. Lets be honest he is 21 now - what is he learning playing youth football. Kiernan stated that he needed football as he was sick of being a squad player. Egan I think needed to prove his fitness but said himself he needed games and has improved with us.

Don't forget we got Bolger too on loan all be it he last 5 mins. Meant to be a very good player. We also got Adam Thompson who for me the jury is still out on but has good pedigree. 5 potentially good players on loan in a season is pretty good evidence the players are out there.

I think the league is littered with decent calibre young players that need football and we can offer that in abundance. Obviously its not an ideal solution but I think better we play classy loans that average owned players.

Most of the moves we start come from either Jakub or Egan. You don't get that with Prosser or Phillips as they are not comfortable on the ball and the immediate reaction is to lump it clear which results in a 50/50.

Think credit should go to Bob Shaw for keep on delivering these gems.

Most of the moves we start come from either Jakub or Egan. You don't get that with Prosser or Phillips as they are not comfortable on the ball and the immediate reaction is to lump it clear which results in a 50/50.

In Sokolik and Egan's six games together we've scored 7 goals. In our other 36 league games we've scored 43 goals, so moves starting from them isn't resulting in us scoring more goals.

In Sokolik and Egan's six games together we've scored 7 goals. In our other 36 league games we've scored 43 goals, so moves starting from them isn't resulting in us scoring more goals.

On those figures, that means with Egan and Sokolik together we score 1.166 goals per game and without them we score 1.194 so basically we score one goal less over 36 games on average with the two together.

However, I would have said that we look much more controlled at the back with them as a pair and the ball is, generally, played out from the back in a much more controlled manner rather than just cleared resulting in it coming straight back and therefore this takes pressure off the defence for longer which has got to be a plus, apart from looking better on the eye.

All 3 are a class above IMO, but it has to be Sokolik IMO. The bloke oozes class.

I like Sokolik and Egan because they're both strong, hard proper centre-backs who put their head in but they can also play the ball. They've got everything really. Egan has the added extra of being a goal threat too, he almost scored a goal identical to his Scunthorpe one against Wimbledon. I think they'll both be playing in the Premier League soon, hope they get the chance at least.

If you work out the average goals conceded in that time I would imagine Sokolik and Egan come out well. If you keep the ball and retain possession you do not concede goals. That is exactly what these two do.

OK to balance this out. We didn't look too shabby with Prosser and Eagan as I recall. The distribution piece I think is more fiction than fact. In the past I made a point of particularly watching this part of Prossers game , and I didn't see one 'hoof' when there was actually a pass on . Lets also not forget that Egan gave away a stupid penalty last week which ultimately lost us the game when Sokolk was covering. Many would have crucified Prosser for that. Also Proseer has scored three goals :winking:

Im not saying Prosser is as good as the others, but unless we want to gotdown the route of playing with loan players all of the time I think We could (and have) do a lot worse than Prosser., who, lets not forget was still improving when he got injured , and if you look back on match threads was a regular contender for MoM.

Last edited:
Back