• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best oggies in Guardian

Napster

No ⭐
Guardian today talked about 6 of the best oggies. Here was one of them. Note not one but two ex-shrimpers in this game

2) Jamie Pollock (MANCHESTER CITY v Queens Park Rangers, 1998)

If that own goal was typical Cruyff, then this one is typical City. Which other club would effectively be condemned to third-tier football for the first time in their history by their own player? A player who would normally struggle to trap a bag of cement, but suddenly found himself insouciantly flicking the ball over an opponent a la Pele in the 1958 World Cup final? Step forward - no, sashay forward - Jamie Pollock, who Edson Arantes do Nascimento'd the ball over a confused QPR attacker and beat the advancing Martyn Margetson with a perfect looping header. The goal put City 2-1 down in a must-win game, and though Lee 'Superfluous Rs' Bradbury equalised, a draw meant their relegation fate was no longer in their own hands - and sure enough, despite a 5-2 win at Stoke a week later, results elsewhere meant they were down.

In the same piece:

5) Chris Brass (Darlington v BURY, 2006)

A question for the gods of football: does a man not suffer enough when he hacks a ball up into his own face, sending it pinging back past his startled goalkeeper and into the net for this dark travesty? Does every last remaining sliver of dignity really need to be stripped from him, as he breaks his own nose in the process? Bury turning around a one-goal deficit with two in the last five minutes offers Brass no kind of consolation at all.

My two best own goals have to be
1. Paul brush maidstone away, long time ago now but brushy lobbed sammy from about 25 yards

2. Steve Tilson portsmouth away he received the ball on the edge of our box facing our goal he seemed to look up and slot it past Royce

In the same piece:

5) Chris Brass (Darlington v BURY, 2006)

A question for the gods of football: does a man not suffer enough when he hacks a ball up into his own face, sending it pinging back past his startled goalkeeper and into the net for this dark travesty? Does every last remaining sliver of dignity really need to be stripped from him, as he breaks his own nose in the process? Bury turning around a one-goal deficit with two in the last five minutes offers Brass no kind of consolation at all.

I remember this one - Sky Sports news showed loads of repeats at the time.

Best oggie I've seen in a Southend game was Phil Whelan's majestic looping header over Flavs at Borient :(

1. Paul brush maidstone away, long time ago now but brushy lobbed sammy from about 25 yards

2. Steve Tilson portsmouth away he received the ball on the edge of our box facing our goal he seemed to look up and slot it past Royce

I remember those, great goals. Tilly also scored another opening day of season cracker at Millwall the year before the Portsmouth one, a volley into the top corner IIRC! I think Tilly must have a superstition about trying to lose the opening game of the season, it's continued into his management career too!

Was it against Oxford Utd when Sammy extended his arm back in order to roll the ball out, only to lose grip and send the ball into his own net in front of the horrified North Bank (including me)?

I remember those, great goals. Tilly also scored another opening day of season cracker at Millwall the year before the Portsmouth one, a volley into the top corner IIRC! I think Tilly must have a superstition about trying to lose the opening game of the season, it's continued into his management career too!

I remember cheering that goal. I was a bit p!ssed and got confused

Lol I'd forgotten about that one, was only about 8 at the time but still one of the finest og's I've seen (was more like 35 yards though wasn't it?).

Back