• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best opposition player seen at hall ?

If this is turning into well known players we have seen then George Best must be on the list.

As for playing well and well known then Harry Kane is on both lists.

Funny one, but the best individual performance I have seen would be Ryan Woods for Shrewsbury against us at the Hall. May have been around 2014-15, when he was a youngster.

Every ball went through him and he completely controlled the game from the centre of the park. He was clearly a few leagues below where he should have been.
"A very obscure one but for me Erhun Oztumer for Walsall in 2018. I think our fans cleared the snow from the pitch so the game could go on only for Erhun to completely run the show and score a hat-trick."

Two great examples, within minutes with each other. Oztumer put on the ultimate one-man show that day and I recall comparing young Woods to a young Scholes when he dictated that particular game.

I am with @EastGreenNutter on Lee Trundle, he was worth the admission fee no matter the result. An entertainer who performed everytime.
There have been a few players I have seen that have had me wondering why they never got further up the league pyramid and Lee is certainly in that list.
There have been mentions of one time performers at The Hall but Lee was always "at the races".

Sean Thornton, opening day of 07/08. Lazy, alcoholic waste of talent for the most part, but he always showed up for the important games. Absolutely magic that day.

Sean Thornton, opening day of 07/08. Lazy, alcoholic waste of talent for the most part, but he always showed up for the important games. Absolutely magic that day.
Yep, always had a blinder against us, whether for Orient or Doncaster.

Like several on here I would say Lee Trundle. He was outstanding on 'Freddy day' in our 4-2 win over Swansea, and in particular was very unlucky not to score from the halfway line in that game when he saw Terry Alderton Ryan Clarke off his line, his effort hitting the bar.

Trundle got his revenge for Swansea in their 2-1 win at RH the following season. Absolutely unplayable that day, so much so that he got a standing ovation from our fans when subbed late on.

Hard to choose one, there have been so many. Remember a young Theo Walcott at Southampton who was outstanding in a cup game against us. As others have said Lee Trundle, what a player and what a talent.

We’ve had THAT United game and the Chelsea game where Ballack put manners on us after Barrett put us ahead.

I also remember Szezceny playing on loan for Brentford and he was outstanding before he went off injured.

For me personally though I remember a player at Doncaster who absolutely destroyed us and I remember sitting in awe of his display against us and I thought he would have an outstanding career at the top level, he did not. The player was Lewis Guy.

But when you can compare him to some of the players we’ve had like Ballack, Ronaldo, Rooney etc hes nothing.

Sir Kenny Dalglish. The way he could quickly pivot and turn while receiving the ball was world class, even on a snowy Roots Hall pitch all those years ago.

Back