• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Southend street entertainers.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
What is the best street act you have seen in Southend?

I used to love it back in the 80's when there were lots of street artists doing robotic dancing but that seems to be a thing of the past.

I saw a good one a couple of weeks ago.

Two blokes dressed as native Americans. One was playing the pan pipes, the other was playing a big drum, shaking this big rattle and dancing.

They even stayed in character when I saw them loading their gear into a transit later that evening which was a nice touch.

The Owl man was nowhere to be seen. He's getting on a bit, does anyone know if he is OK?

What is the best street act you have seen in Southend?

I used to love it back in the 80's when there were lots of street artists doing robotic dancing but that seems to be a thing of the past.

I saw a good one a couple of weeks ago.

Two blokes dressed as native Americans. One was playing the pan pipes, the other was playing a big drum, shaking this big rattle and dancing.

They even stayed in character when I saw them loading their gear into a transit later that evening which was a nice touch.

The Owl man was nowhere to be seen. He's getting on a bit, does anyone know if he is OK?

We have the Native Americans in Eastbourne... except they have a CD Player hiddenly craftily under their tabe :rolleyes:

Do folk still busk under the train bidge on the highstreet??

Those pan pipe peolpe were in the high street last weekend with an ageing female dancer added to the troupe, she was displaying all the rhythmic grace and timing of an arthritic Drewe Broughton and I first thought she may have escaped from the local loon house and joined in but they were definately together

The entertainment under "the bridge" has deteriorated latley from ****ed people playing guitars/harmonicas to ****ed people shouting at you. Although last weekend one chap was singing a little ditty as we passed along the lines of "Southend's not a town it's a city" repeated about 147 times at the top of his voice. Good show

you do still get them but they've generally been replaced by people who want money for doing nothing :rolleyes:

Those Indian Pan Pipists are in the High Street an awful lot, they manage to draw some fairly healthy crowds.

The one with the plastic wolfs head on the headress
cracks me up

I am sure the other lot are are the patagonians off the Fast Show

Does that scary clown with the baloons still ply his trade ?

you do still get them but they've generally been replaced by people who want money for doing nothing :rolleyes:

Those Indian Pan Pipists are in the High Street an awful lot, they manage to draw some fairly healthy crowds.

Never seen Matty Harrold down there!!!!

Got me thinking Fast Show street-entertainment now! :D

The one with the plastic wolfs head on the headress
cracks me up

I am sure the other lot are are the patagonians off the Fast Show

Does that scary clown with the baloons still ply his trade ?

great minds gents :D

Yeah that clown can still be found, usually in the afternoons outside McDonald's (the one opposite boots)

Just found this whilst "researching" and i'm now laughing too loud to be unnoticed in my office!

SOUTHEND - Buskers, Street Entertainers

chinese muscle man who walks round rayleigh in a vest
Penny picker always worked on the flower stall in the high street. Many a happy day chucking pennies at him!!
Penny Picker STEVE! hahaha. Also, even though it IS noted, the big issue guy still makes me giggle, even though I feel bad because it's about poor people, but if he could say the word correctly then it might not bother me as much!
under the train bit in the high street. loada **** though.
Sahil, he doesn't busk himself, although he does have a penchant for dancing with the buskers.
Owl Man. Bagpipe man - seen on his motorbike. Disababled Verbal Poetry Women. Hanksy. Jesus - seen walking on water - Beedle.. Paul Carrol. Thebloke who looks like Trigger from only fools and horses who runs Carmel Records
BLACK DAVE THE NOSE BAG FIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ian Huntley himself 'Liam Cousins' hangs at south east essex college. penny picker steve is a legend. everyone knows him in southend
theres this gyppo bitch who plays this ****ty little tin whistle, get a life or a job
ahhhhh! NO, NOT SALVO THE CLOWN!!! he's an evil lil *******!! and calls themself Salvo!? that means Death in Latin!! DEATH THE CLOWN!!?? who would let their kid get a balloon dog of DEATH the clown??!!........ahem.
Under the bridge down town usually has some good uns although that fat girls always with them. The bloke selling the Echo round boots is quite a kool bloke as well by the way.
STEVE, HE DANCES FOR FOOD
Bunny - the godfather of the alternative scene
That Jeremy Beadle bloke cos he really stinks!
mad poem woman in electric wheel chair, she hangs outside the post office in town
What happened to the bloke with the owl?
Our local MPs. Tory boy David Amess (southend west). After the last election the prat drove through the whole town with a megaphone saying 'this is david amess thanking you for electing me again'.
Terry Ball - u know him! he wears green wellies and a big camel-coat in all weathers. what a sad little man... shoot him and his family, and friends... and their friends too!
Bunny - The GODFATHER club-meister of RAGE in elmer approach
Hop skip and jump was a strange character who came from Shoebury and renamesd because he would hop skip and jump instead of walking.I once saw him hop,skipping and jumping down Thorpe bay broadway at about ten in the morning wearing only an old,and far from clean,pair of Y-fronts.
Who is that old woman who sells poetry in Southend High Street? Very scary when drunk!
That homeless guy with the dog! He's cool. And that flute guy that appeared when some guy died. He played a happy song :)
Street entertainers eh?...got to be 'Penny Picking Steve'...or that weird clown dude under the bridge in town on a saturday...Ever wondered just how much money steve has in that bucket?...me too....
when i leave southend i will remember, the poetry wheelchair woman, the blind man with the owls, and that bizarre fat man known as "karoke man" who plugs his stereo into a power point and mimes to a compilation tape. Oh, and what happened to that guy who stood on his head, in a bucket on the high street in between savers and gap (tesco at the time)?
Always some busker guy under the bridge in the middle of the highstreet, oh and a scary clown outside Claires who is NOT funni.
He stands outside WH Smiths. Music playing, microphone in hand, miming the words to the song!!!!!
under the bridge
oh my god, buskers suck! We've got loads of new buskers and hobos (tramps) hanging bout Southend now cuz they got news that Southend was a good place to go, so they all come down from London to plague us! Sickening really...
Aside from the clown by River island , we've not had any decent ones in a while (Those Patagonians have moved on)
Daisy the local mc on his mini beat box!!!!!!!
under the rail bridge is a must. occasionally u get sum people up by the square bench places with the plants along the high street doing chalk drawings.
there is the fitest busker called nick who play down southend near clares accesaries he is a great singer aswell i think buskers are great shame the good ones are not getting noticed
nah.... in southend theres that wicked geezer thats got a barn owl thats older than he is n he's pushin on a bit y'know?
Under the railweay bridge in the High St is usually good for a laugh
UNDER THE BRIDGE
SORRY GUYS YOUR CRAP YOU MAINLY ALL LIAM GALLAGHER WANNABES AND LETS FACE HE CANT SING OR MUCH ELSE REALLY. GET YOUR OWN STYLE
UNder the bridge, down the arches
under the bridge(not chillis or *** saints)
Have to add to this list the old man with the owl who walks round the high street pretending to be blind when really all he wants to do is get hold of some little children
November 2001 - The young dude who plays (mostly) under the railway bridge - wears a brace & has to be the most vocally talented I've heard in 18 years of walking down the high street. No, I don't know him, but i'd give him a record contract tomorrow. Whoever you are geezer, you're a star!
Christiana the crusty eco warrior plays delights such as greensleeves on her recorder. She has a dog on a string. There aways seems to be some other geezer pounding passionately on his guitar when I walk under the bridge. Eurgh lets not forgt Salvo the clown. Clowns are evil, Salvo is not exception.
under railway bridge
FLEX, CONE-HEAD OF WESTCLIFF MUSCLE VEST CLAD COME SUMMER OR WINTER, FLEXING HIS PECKS, KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR HIS HOT SISTER (WHAT A BABE)
SINGING PSYCHO, SHIRTLESS IN MID-WINTER, OFTEN SEEN BIKING NO HANDED DOWN THE A13 IN EITHER DIRECTION, BANDANA AND WALKMAN CLAD, WAILING LIKE A BANSHEE.
any wher down town!
the verbal busker is a phony!
The bloke with his Bontempi keyboard who busks under Southend central train bridge. He just plays pre-set tunes and the mugs of Southend give him cash for it, Suckers...
THAT BLOODY CLOWN!!!! Stands in the middle of the bloody high-street inflicting misery and psychological torture on us all.
The high street. Or canvey , considering everyone there is some sort of picky busker.
Yes, unfortunately Southend does have buskers. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them being a musician myself but...... How many times do people want to hear the same verve and oasis songs. I, personaly wish I'd never heard them. We do get the occassional drummers there which I enjoy but more often than not it's those same songs again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, well, you get the point.
THE VERBAL BUSKER! £1 for sheet of poetry! All the proceeds go on fags for herself. She is a disgrace! Read on of the poems without buying and prepare to be abused!! Father Jack- Small old man, always drunk walks round shouting and swearing at anything, including blind dogs!! Bomber Man- Walks up and down the town all day at speeds that defy belief! Only stops when he spots the police. Never wears a shirt even in sub-zero temperatures. He is a nutter but also a hero. LADYBOY. -Used to work on market down the town selling fruit and veg. Her crys of 'Stawberrys' could be heard far and wide. Sadly hasn't been seen for over a year now!
Right underneath the train station in the centre of town, and near some phone shop.
those mexican type geezers
James the busker rocks. He seems to be the busker of the moment under the railway bridge. As he's always there!
always someone with Bongos hanging around the Railway bridge at 1-2am
ha ha i saw someone wrote about an old guy playing flute. that's miles he's in is late twenties and he cant play a single tune. it doesn't matter to him 'cause "it's my art man...!" he's not half as bad on the flute as he is on the guitar though hahahah
A bloke I know only as daddy long legs appears under the railway bridge every so often. There was also stu the oasis bloke, but he disappeared (?)
The crazy jazz guys - one on guitar one on sax. They're ace. The only good buskers I've seen in Southend at any rate, save for the mad banjo puppets guy under the railway bridge (you have to see it).
There is this odl guy who plays the recorder under the railway bridge, I haven't figured out yet if he is actually playing a tune or it's jsut made up. But it's a laugh all the same!
Underneath the railway bridge in the High Street is the place the hear some marginally talented guitarists. However, for a real laugh, further up the High Street you get to see "Los Pedros del Andes" (or something - how many of these groups are there?), "very tall black man in a space suit pretending to be a robot to Wham! and Spandau Ballet!" (don't ask), and the incredibly loud, but slightly insane "Jesus Freaks" telling you that your life is empty so there!

Last edited:
Back