• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Southend XI ever - Right Midfield

Ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky ottoricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky ottoricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto ricky otto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...was a left winger

I'd go with Phil Chisnall- great but never quite achieved his full potential..but would be in the team today for sure.

Has to be andy ansah, top top bloke and proper winger

Andy is one of those players that I would have loved to watched (from the comments on here and other websites).

Wasn't he on "Wayne Rooney's Street Striker" as a judge? Also I believe he has two sons who play for Arsenal (future Southend stars maybe :D)

Me too Rob, this slot is actually quite tricky to fill with a proper right sided midfielder.

From memory he played both roles and I can recall he had a good run in the team as a right winger/wide midfield. However that's a good few years ago - getting on for 20 now - so my memory may be playing tricks on me there.

From memory he played both roles and I can recall he had a good run in the team as a right winger/wide midfield. However that's a good few years ago - getting on for 20 now - so my memory may be playing tricks on me there.
Your memory is not playing tricks on you, he played in mid field, but his eye for a goal had him playing up front as well.

Not sure this is still open but surely Jonathon Hunt. In my 24 years, the 2nd best right sided player I have seen behind Ansah. Class player and played a key role in the exciting Fry team.

The trouble here is that we are trying to fill a team based on a 4-4-2 formation when teams used to play 2-3-5 and then 4-3-3 with modern variations being 4-5-1 and 4-1-2-1-2. I remember for a while in the 1970's we played 4-2-4 with Colin Morris and Gerry Fell the wide players, and Micky Laverick and Ron Poutney the midfielders who did the job of 4 players. It was like playing 4-4-4 at times!

In the olden days of 2-3-5, there used to be two full backs, a centre half, left half and right half (equivalent of left mid and right mid except they were always more defensive minded) and up front a centre forward, inside left, inside right plus outside left and outside right (wingers).

So the most appropriate modern day formation would be 3-4-3, which is hardly played by anyone.

Therefore trying to actually match up a right sided player is hard, when you consider wingers like Colin Morris and defensive players like Carl Pettefer.

Tough one.

The trouble here is that we are trying to fill a team based on a 4-4-2 formation when teams used to play 2-3-5 and then 4-3-3 with modern variations being 4-5-1 and 4-1-2-1-2. I remember for a while in the 1970's we played 4-2-4 with Colin Morris and Gerry Fell the wide players, and Micky Laverick and Ron Poutney the midfielders who did the job of 4 players. It was like playing 4-4-4 at times!

In the olden days of 2-3-5, there used to be two full backs, a centre half, left half and right half (equivalent of left mid and right mid except they were always more defensive minded) and up front a centre forward, inside left, inside right plus outside left and outside right (wingers).

So the most appropriate modern day formation would be 3-4-3, which is hardly played by anyone.

Therefore trying to actually match up a right sided player is hard, when you consider wingers like Colin Morris and defensive players like Carl Pettefer.

Tough one.

It is a tough one, mate, but I still think we're right to have Ron there, who could attack and defend. He was a right-sided midfield player, not a winger...and Lib's was asking us for noms for right midfield. I guess it's all about opinions and everyone else is still allowed to have them even though they're wrong to disagree with us...;)

Back