• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best Southend XI ever - The goalkeepers

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
As per the explanation in the other thread, I'm going to go for this.
So basically I need 10 nominations for the best Southend keeper of all time. We'll then have a poll to vote for who will go into the final XI.

My nomination - Paul Sansome

The late Trevor Roberts. Dropped the first cross he had to deal with at the Hall but went on to be absolutely brilliant and hardly made a mistake

We've been blessed with some fine keepers during my time as a supporter Trevor Roberts being amongst the best. Samsome, Royce, Webster, Stannard, the loanees Burridge & Federici, but my vote would go to Mervyn Cawston.

Last edited:
Trevor Roberts was the best goalkeeper we have had in my lifetime, but he won't win because only people over 50 will remember him. Indeed, any voting will heavily favour those players who have played in the last 25 years and "Best Southend XI Ever" becomes a bit of a misnomer.

Trevor Roberts was the best goalkeeper we have had in my lifetime, but he won't win because only people over 50 will remember him. Indeed, any voting will heavily favour those players who have played in the last 25 years and "Best Southend XI Ever" becomes a bit of a misnomer.

That's the end of that then!!

A fair point though and goes for all these "best of.." things that Channel 4 loves so much.

Flavs has to be in the 10 just for the 2 promotions and the league 1 player of the yr, i'd give Roycie the nod as the best though

Roycie, for me. Performed at a higher level than the others, and if managed / handled correctly should have been sold for a 7 figure fee.

With my faves from my time as Blues fan already nominated (Sansome & Royce) I'll nominate our first ever goalkeeper Charlie Cotton our custodian from 1906 until his untimely death in 1910 aged just 30.

Back