• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best sports team names

Ron Manager

tallblacks2.jpg

I know I've mentioned it before, but the NZ basketball team being called the 'Tall Blacks, always cracks me up. Any others.....?

VFS Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga was a funny one, only because their manager used to be Wolfgang Wolff!

Young Boys of Berne...what's that all about?

Spanish team Hercules as well, that's a great name.

But I think Ron M has already come up with the best one. When a Kiwi work colleague told me about the Tall Blacks, I thought he was pulling my leg
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 17 2005,12:17)]I am sure there is a team playing in the Newcastle Sunday League system called Norfolk Enchance.
biggrin.gif
Presumably, there must be a team in the adjacent county along the lines of Suffolk Offendai...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 17 2005,14:45)]The Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the NHL is pretty stupid, as is The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame US Collegiate American Football team.
Something about the city perhaps?

Their baseball team are called the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim".

Eh?

And talking of Fighting Irish, there's a rugby league team in Wales with that nickname.

Confusing.

Africa is a great source for team names. Eleven Men In Flight (Namibia IIRC), Stationary Stores (Nigeria), Young Buffaloes (Swaziland), Blue Swallows (Zimbabwe), Wan kie (zimbabwe, and should be all one word but it gets censored by the site), the list is endless...

Just thought of another one. Bolivian football team....

"The Strongest"

Young Boys
Sport Boys
Everton Chile
Sunshine Soccer club
Newell's old boys
Hearts of Oak
O' Higgins
Supersport
Amazulu

And my favourites

Jackson 5 a side and Team Bergerac.

If we're onto non-league, the Reading Uni science dept team (I think) is called Chemical Academical; whilst the Obs & Gynae unit at Guy's Hospital had a team with the rather delightful name of Old Fallopians...

oops.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ June 17 2005,13:19)]Spanish team Hercules as well, that's a great name.
From Alicante, the Hércules "B" team (essentially the reserve team) play in our league ... they're pretty crap.

But the first team finished as runners-up behind rivals Alicante (they play in the same stadium) in the Segunda División B and have just this weekend been promoted via the play-offs to the Segunda División A, just one rung below La Primera División; Alicante got knocked out in the first round of the play-offs so it was a double celebration for the Hércules fans, especially as they finished 11 points BEHIND their Alicante rivals! Who said the play-offs in England were unfair?!

Other Spanish teams that are quite amusing are:

- Arousa (Third Division Gp 1)
- Choco (Preferente Galicia Sth)
- Crack's (Preferente Valenciana Gp 2)
- Mercedes Benz (Preferente Euskadi Álava-Araba)
- Moron (Preferente Andalucia Sevilla-Córdoba)
- Norma (Third Division Gp 8)
- Terror (Preferente Canarias Las Palmas)
- Titanico (Third Division Gp 2: must be fun for the media if and when they get relegated!)
- Torpedo 66 (Third Division Gp 17)
- Vera (Third Division Gp 9)
- Vulcano (Preferente Euskadi Álava-Araba)

WS

Back