• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best squad for over a year?

Blues4LifeDan

Manager
This is arguably the best squad we've had in over a year. I just wrote this on the prematch thread. Do you agree?

We have definitely had a few individual players who would walk into this squad, Humphrys for example, but this squad is probably the best we've had since Sol took over.

Ox
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Ferguson Macca/Dieng
Akinola Holmes Olayinka
Ranger

That is surely a better 11 than the team we had under Sol? Then we have Hart, Demi, ANG, Goodship to name a few for the squad.

Baring in mind we are bottom of the football league, it's a melancholy thought to think this maybe the best we've seen in some time. Let's hope they keep us up.

agreed, once all fit we have a team more than capable of sustaining life in Div 2. We almost have to many players, if that makes sense??

i genuinely feel if we started the league tomorrow, with this squad from the get go, we would be challenging.. its just been such a huge huge huge hurdle (and still is) to come from about 18 points behind everyone else

Not sure - personally the jury is still out on the front line. Hopper, Hump, Kelman I think may have been better. Midfield defo improved. Defence is pretty much the same. Subs bench is significantly stronger.

Longer than a year I reckon, possibly 2 or 3, if, and its a big if, the likes of Holmes, Ranger, Mellis etc. live up to their pre match billing.

Its certainly potentially a decent looking squad for this level, my worry always is injuries. The players that provide the quality or the bite we need tend to the ones who get injured certainly for us. if our luck changes on that front you would have to say thats not a bad looking line up. Slight concern also that we're relying on players at the end of their careers or who havent played for ages to be something close to what they were in their prime. lets hope!

Hmm, lots of players but only, imo, 6 or 7 who would be easy names to jot on team sheet every week. Too many injuries, old legs. Lots of 7/10 performers who neither have great days or dog day, just so so, which is okay for a team with no worries but not when, like us, we need the "pull up trees" types.

The assumption is that Ranger will be able to attain a similar standard to what he reached last time around. By no means certain I would think.

Certainly isn't a certainty at all, you're right. That's why Humphrys from our previous squad would walk in without a doubt. As for other previous players, I doubt it. Mantom and McLaughlin I'm not sure, particularly the former.

On paper a squad that should sit comfortably in the top half,just got to keep our fingers crossed on the injury front .Hopefully the latest additions will create those extra goals which will make the difference.

With the 2 new additions today does give me more confidence we will stay up....... I look at the central midfield area think we got real competition their. Now we are entering period of 2 games in week we got the ability to rotate number of players.

I think it's a terrible squad, we're more or less bottom of the professional football league, so it can't be that good.

Not sure - personally the jury is still out on the front line. Hopper, Hump, Kelman I think may have been better. Midfield defo improved. Defence is pretty much the same. Subs bench is significantly stronger.
kelmen was useless! And a lazy little so and so ! Ron martin selling him is the best bit of business ever!!

Do you honestly think we would be in this position if we had this squad from game 1 vs Harrogate?
Please take note of the point of the thread.

Hold on. We've had this squad for some months now and we're still more or less bottom, so yes I do think we'd be bottom.

If the squad is that good then something isn't right considering our position in the league. The table doesn't lie. Manager maybe? If we have a good squad.

Hold on. We've had this squad for some months now and we're still more or less bottom, so yes I do think we'd be bottom.

If the squad is that good then something isn't right considering our position in the league. The table doesn't lie. Manager maybe? If we have a good squad.
If Usain Bolt gave everyone a half second headstart in the Olympic final then he's going to come last but that doesn't mean he's a bad sprinter, it just means the disadvantage he was given was too great to overcome.

Akinola has been available to us for 13 matches now, in that time we've amassed 18 points, giving us a PPG of 1.38. That PPG rate would put us 11th in the table.

We're down the bottom because our squad before the embargo was lifted was awful, we were 7 points from safety with teams above us having a game in hand. We've made very clear progress to now be out of the relegation zone even if other teams have played less games than us.

If Usain Bolt gave everyone a half second headstart in the Olympic final then he's going to come last but that doesn't mean he's a bad sprinter, it just means the disadvantage he was given was too great to overcome.

Akinola has been available to us for 13 matches now, in that time we've amassed 18 points, giving us a PPG of 1.38. That PPG rate would put us 11th in the table.

We're down the bottom because our squad before the embargo was lifted was awful, we were 7 points from safety with teams above us having a game in hand. We've made very clear progress to now be out of the relegation zone even if other teams have played less games than us.

We got stuffed 5 - 1 a couple of weeks ago (at home), out played and out classed, how is that progress? That's even with this great squad as you seem to think we have.

I’m not going to bite at some of these posts! Yes this is the best squad we’ve had for a while on paper, to answer the OP. There’s a few unknown quantities but we’ve now brought in the experience some were crying out for. We do need to score more goals. If we start scoring goals we’ll start climbing the table and be well clear. If not, well .. experience will count at the sharp end. MM now has a good few options.

Back