• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best squad for over a year?

Hold on. We've had this squad for some months now and we're still more or less bottom, so yes I do think we'd be bottom.

If the squad is that good then something isn't right considering our position in the league. The table doesn't lie. Manager maybe? If we have a good squad.

You're absolutely bang on in regards to our league position which is why I had that bittersweet feeling when thinking about it.

Nonetheless, the point of the post was referring to the squad available right now and comparing that to the past year.

Our squad against Harrogate was:

Ox
Elvis Hobson R.Taylor Ralph
Egbri Gard Hutchinson Green
Kelman Goodship

Subs: Seaden, H.Phillips, Kinali, Rush, Kyprianou, Mitchell-Nelson

The managers hands were tied for so long and we had to rely on so many inexperienced youth players, many of which aren't good enough. We are starting to reap the benefits of backing from the chairman. Hopefully it isn't too late.

There is no way we would be bottom if we started the season with the squad available to MM now.

However, that's all ifs and buts, it's down to the manager now. UTB!

We got stuffed 5 - 1 a couple of weeks ago (at home), out played and out classed, how is that progress? That's even with this great squad as you seem to think we have.
So a couple of awful performances means we can't have made any progress? I never said we had a great squad (we don't) but I firmly believe if we'd started with this squad we wouldn't be in a relegation battle, we had 7 points (8 considering our GD) to make up when the embargo was lifted and we've managed it in 13 games, I can't see how our squad could have managed that if they genuinely still would have been 22nd if we'd started the season with all these players.

Plenty of teams have days where they are completely outclassed (and we certainly were after Port Vale and like a lot of people on here I was very angry after the final whistle went) but they're only a bad team if they keep having bad days. We responded to that loss by having back to back clean sheets (including one against the team top of the table). I'd also point out the two results where we've been a shambles at the back (Port Vale and Bradford) featured Cordner in a back 5, we've since ditched that idea and looked a lot more solid since (Clifford coming in has also helped since he's better at the defensive side of the game than Hart for me). I had my doubts about whether it really was the back 5 that was the issue and not just us being found out but it's hard to argue with how solid we've looked in the last 2 matches. The 5-1 may have been down to a tactical change that didn't work out rather than a sign that the improvement in form since the embargo lifted was completely down to chance.

Last edited:
Oxley
Elvis hobson white clifford
Ang ferguson dieng oliyanka akinola
Ranger

Seaden
Demitriou corden miles Hart
Holmes Mellis macca Taylor
Aquah goodship

Nearly 2 teams and that's missing most of the kids
A far cry from the Harrogate game

Back