• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
As opposed to Bluebloods thread which, whilst no doubt a decent discussion point, is only going to create more negativity.

Look people, if there are negative thoughts and vibes then that is what will transpire to be. If you look for a sinister motive or negative point, you will find one. It is as simple as that and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Derren Brown actually proved this in one of his TV programmes where he went into a small village and created a totally false rumour about a lucky dog statue in the town. People who had stroked the dog statue had then (apparently) found good fortune and he had hired a local journalist who was in on this and who wanted to interview locals to see what stories they had to tell. Even though this was 100% made up, witin a couple of days the locals began recounting their own stories as if folklore, some even apparently being recounted to them by their Grandparents, of the wonderful fortune people found by stroking the lucky dog.

There was one local - a butcher I think - who was completely negative about everything and insisted he had no luck at all. They tried to give him luck by putting fortune and opportunity in his way... but he never saw it or took it because he never looked for it and only ever saw the bad or negative side of everything.

It all came good for him in the end but only after he recognised this and changed the way he looked at life.

So, back to the point of this thread... when was the best time to be a fan?

Well, personally, when we won the L1 title. I had spoken to Tilly after the opening game of the season (home v Port Vale) which we lost and he thought it would be harder than he had imagined. However - and this possibly is key - he had got rid of all the bad apples (his words) and the team spirit in the squad was terrific.

Now, as good as Mohsni, Hall, whoever are, if they are "bad apples", then maybe - just maybe - we will be a better team without them. We will be a squad without as many good individuals, but we could be a better team.

With that in mind and as much as I love watching Mohsni with his talent, passion and entertainment value, the wheels have come off since THAT game v Oldham, apart from the odd good performance. Everything else seems to have stemmed from that time.

So, if he has gone back to France or wherever then if that uplifts the squad morale and makes them play better then it's a positive thing. We have a good enough squad to be challenging at the top without him anyway.

Maybe we will look back on this as a positive turning point in our season... and if we do, then it will mean we will have been promoted and I will be the first to "bump" this thread to the top, trust me.

You pre-empted me ... i was going to start a similar thread with a year by year "massive high" ... i was just watching the end of the cricket before putting it up

Now, as good as Mohsni, Hall, whoever are, if they are "bad apples", then maybe - just maybe - we will be a better team without them. We will be a squad without as many good individuals, but we could be a better team.

Yes, let's pack the team with compliant donkeys because the current manager hasn't got the energy or presence to deal with the more talented extroverts (I wonder if someone had been helping him with this aspect of the job?) !! Someone will turn Mohsni into a talented and disciplined player.

Good points!
We still have enough to get promoted without a doubt. We will see, maybe the squad just needs a complete new look for a few week!

Morris
Clohessy Phillips Barker Gilbert
Martin Timlin Grant Sawyer
Flood Sampson

As you know negativity towards the playing side I find irresponsible and completely counter productive!

The all important thing is believing!
If the players don't you are doomed!

Dirk Kuyt said after the Carling Cup final

'belief is the most important thing in football'

He is Not wrong!

Yes, let's pack the team with compliant donkeys because the current manager hasn't got the energy or presence to deal with the more talented extroverts (I wonder if someone had been helping him with this aspect of the job?) !! Someone will turn Mohsni into a talented and disciplined player.

That's the spirit...

Sadly, I very much doubt it.

A TEAM is what it's all about. When we were first in the old second division we had a good team - no star players, just a well-organised unit playing the ball on the ground (mostly) and Dave Webb in control.

Am hoping the best times to be a Southend United fan...are still to come!!!!!

It was pretty damned good to be a Shrimper at Gigg Lane, Bury in the Spring of 1991 though!

A TEAM is what it's all about. When we were first in the old second division we had a good team - no star players, just a well-organised unit playing the ball on the ground (mostly) and Dave Webb in control.

We had a team of star players ! Chris Powell, Spencer Prior, Dean Austin, Brett Angell, Benji, Pat Scully, Keith Jones, Sammy, Tilly, Ansah and Cornwell. No weak links. The remarkable thing about that team was the consistent team selection. Ten players made more than 40 League appearances !!!!

Best time to be a Southend supporter, for me, was the late 70's and early 80's. Under 16 so dirt cheap to get in. Bunked off school sometimes to work the market stalls on a Thursday, just to be near the ground and the huge South Bank.

No poncing around with players egos or play-acting on the pitch either. And nobody taking football, whether it be players, managers, the media or supporters, way too seriously.

It was fun.

Exactly Mick - but there wasn't anyone in the team that was a household name outside Essex, really.

We had a team of star players ! Chris Powell, Spencer Prior, Dean Austin, Brett Angell, Benji, Pat Scully, Keith Jones, Sammy, Tilly, Ansah and Cornwell. No weak links. The remarkable thing about that team was the consistent team selection. Ten players made more than 40 League appearances !!!!

No particularly weak links (I'd debate about Cornwell) but, Powell aside, no star individuals either. Just good quality team players.

No particularly weak links (I'd debate about Cornwell) but, Powell aside, no star individuals either. Just good quality team players.

All these players were very high quality performers as well as being good team players, Austin, Prior and Jones all went on to play in the premier league so a bit harsh to single out Powell. The team had a little bit of everything, solid goalkeeper, solid defence, creativity, pace with Ansah, skill with Benji and the aerial prowess and goalscoring of Angell and we played brilliant football as well. So the answer is my happiest time as a Blues fan was the 90-91 season and the 1st 29 games of 1991-92 until all the Jobson/Webb thing happened. We were a brilliant side full of excellent players and were achieving that had never been done before.

To remove Hall and Mohnsi from the current side doesn't really bear thinking about to me, our 2 matchwinners, Hall has the most assists in the league and Mohsni has the most goals from open play in the league. These 2 along with Kane and Clohessy are the 4 players who I would say are particularly good at the level we are playing at, the rest average and the likes of Morris and Kalala below that.

I couldn't agree more FBM. Could be the turning point. Reckon we need 72 for a play off place and may 80 or above for automatic. Let's all get behind the team for the run in to the end of the season!
:thumbsup:

All these players were very high quality performers as well as being good team players, Austin, Prior and Jones all went on to play in the premier league so a bit harsh to single out Powell. The team had a little bit of everything, solid goalkeeper, solid defence, creativity, pace with Ansah, skill with Benji and the aerial prowess and goalscoring of Angell and we played brilliant football as well. So the answer is my happiest time as a Blues fan was the 90-91 season and the 1st 29 games of 1991-92 until all the Jobson/Webb thing happened. We were a brilliant side full of excellent players and were achieving that had never been done before.

To remove Hall and Mohnsi from the current side doesn't really bear thinking about to me, our 2 matchwinners, Hall has the most assists in the league and Mohsni has the most goals from open play in the league. These 2 along with Kane and Clohessy are the 4 players who I would say are particularly good at the level we are playing at, the rest average and the likes of Morris and Kalala below that.

The only reason I emphasised Powell is that he went on to win International honours. None of the others quite hit that peak, although Brett Angell did get the "Worst ever player to wear an Everton shirt" award.

The only reason I emphasised Powell is that he went on to win International honours. None of the others quite hit that peak, although Brett Angell did get the "Worst ever player to wear an Everton shirt" award.
Oh fair enough, if you are setting the bar as high as international level then he did stand out. I didnt want to mention Angell's top flight experience but he is the only player in our history to hit over 20 league goals in a second flight season and that is good enough for me

Back