• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
I decided against posting last night when I got back, for 2 reasons really, 1 I was ridiculously tired, and 2. it's not always a good idea to post on here when emotions are runing high after a game such as that.....

However, afrer a nights sleep (well a few hours) my opinion hasn;t changed much, and that is pure and utter anger.

I am, to be fair, normally a reasoned poster on here, who sees both side of the story, and am not one for knee jerk reactions, but I have to say last night was a complete and utter sham from start to finish - the only positive was the magnificent support from us in the stands - something I think both us and Donny will remember for a long time.

Where to start about what went wrong...

- Tilly set the wheels in motion before a ball was kicked with his team selection. I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to defend Tommy Black on here, and I think last night just goes to show how unbalanced we are when he is not in the side. Moussa's inclusion in the team was possibly the most ridiculous selection Tilly has ever made. Why on earth dismantle a team which has got us into this position in the first place and play a player completely out of position? That smacked of last seasons tactic's again, and IMO, definitely cost us last night. I am not saying we would have won, but I'm damn sure we wouldn't have lost 5-1!

- Defensively, we were shot. Adam Barrett was shown up to be completely out of his depth last night, and as much as I love the guy (and i genuinely mean that) he is not good enough to be part of our team if we want to progress forward. Both full backs may well as not have played for all the defending they did - the cross by Francis for Walker was the ONLY thing he did right last night, and as I have said countless times, he is NOT a good defender - full stop. Peter Clarke didn't have his greatest hour, but to be fair to him, it's difficult to marshal a backline when you're the only one who is capable of defending!

- Midfield. Nicky Bailey Player of the Sesson? Well he lived up to that tag last night didn't he???...... An absolute shocker of a performance from him, he was completely anonymous, apart from his goal, and when it came to the crunch, he went AWOL for 90 minutes. Macca ran around a lot, but showed no composure, no class and was ineffective and completely outclassed by their midefield, especially Stock and Wellen. Gower actually tried hard, but was given no chance, and Moussa? Well he is not a right winger, so we can excuse him for that.

Strikers - James Walker's lack of composure was almost as big a reason for us losing as was Tilly's team selection. I find it difficult to dislike him because he absolutely works his socks off and he is very young, but as I have also said before, he is not IMO upto the task of leading our line. I truly believe he will remain one of those who 'had bags of potential but never fulfilled it'. Having said that, the service, or lack of, both him and Barney got was almost non existent, which made it very difficult for both of them. But when they did get the ball, they didn't do anywhere near enough to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

An entire seasons work undone by a shambolic display from us, and that really hurts. Donny were far superior, and you have to accept that, but what I won't accept is the way we rolled over and died. IMO a crucial mistake was made by Tilly in his team selection, coupled with the miss by Walker, and you have the recipe for disaster. We went a goal down to what looked like an extremely soft penalty, but instead of getting our heads up and fighting for it, we simply collapsed, and mark my words, this result will have a huge bearing on our fortunes next season - I doubt we will recover form this to make another attempt at promotion next season.

I said I felt we would come up short, and if that had been the case, I would have been gutted, but accepted that Donny were simply the better side - which they were - but to do what they did in front of a magnificent turnout by us is unforgiveable, and some serious questions need to be asked of those players - most importantly, where is your bottle?

sorry for droaning on, but had to get it off my chest!

Only 3 months to go :)

I decided against posting last night when I got back, for 2 reasons really, 1 I was ridiculously tired, and 2. it's not always a good idea to post on here when emotions are runing high after a game such as that.....

However, afrer a nights sleep (well a few hours) my opinion hasn;t changed much, and that is pure and utter anger.

I am, to be fair, normally a reasoned poster on here, who sees both side of the story, and am not one for knee jerk reactions, but I have to say last night was a complete and utter sham from start to finish - the only positive was the magnificent support from us in the stands - something I think both us and Donny will remember for a long time.

- Tilly set the wheels in motion before a ball was kicked with his team selection. I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to defend Tommy Black on here, and I think last night just goes to show how unbalanced we are when he is not in the side. Moussa's inclusion in the team was possibly the most ridiculous selection Tilly has ever made. Why on earth dismantle a team which has got us into this position in the first place and play a player completely out of position? That smacked of last seasons tactic's again, and IMO, definitely cost us last night. I am not saying we would have won, but I'm damn sure we wouldn't have lost 5-1!

- Defensively, we were shot. Adam Barrett was shown up to be completely out of his depth last night, and as much as I love the guy (and i genuinely mean that) he is not good enough to be part of our team if we want to progress forward. Both full backs may well as not have played for all the defending they did - the cross by Francis for Walker was the ONLY thing he did right last night, and as I have said countless times, he is NOT a good defender - full stop. Peter Clarke didn't have his greatest hour, but to be fair to him, it's difficult to marshal a backline when you're the only one who is capable of defending!

- Midfield. Nicky Bailey Player of the Sesson? Well he lived up to that tag last night didn't he???...... An absolute shocker of a performance from him, he was completely anonymous, apart from his goal, and when it came to the crunch, he went AWOL for 90 minutes. Macca ran around a lot, but showed no composure, no class and was ineffective and completely outclassed by their midefield, especially Stock and Wellen. Gower actually tried hard, but was given no chance, and Moussa? Well he is not a right winger, so we can excuse him for that.

Strikers - James Walker's lack of composure was almost as big a reason for us losing as was Tilly's team selection. I find it difficult to dislike him because he absolutely works his socks off and he is very young, but as I have also said before, he is not IMO upto the task of leading our line. I truly believe he will remain one of those who 'had bags of potential but never fulfilled it'. Having said that, the service, or lack of, both him and Barney got was almost non existent, which made it very difficult for both of them. But when they did get the ball, they didn't do anywhere near enough to hold the ball up and bring others into the game.

An entire seasons work undone by a shambolic display from us, and that really hurts. Donny were far superior, and you have to accept that, but what I won't accept is the way we rolled over and died. IMO a crucial mistake was made by Tilly in his team selection, coupled with the miss by Walker, and you have the recipe for disaster. We went a goal down to what looked like an extremely soft penalty, but instead of getting our heads up and fighting for it, we simply collapsed, and mark my words, this result will have a huge bearing on our fortunes next season - I doubt we will recover form this to make another attempt at promotion next season.

I said I felt we would come up short, and if that had been the case, I would have been gutted, but accepted that Donny were simply the better side - which they were - but to do what they did in front of a magnificent turnout by us is unforgiveable, and some serious questions need to be asked of those players - most importantly, where is your bottle?

who cares?

Yeah I do care but lets look at this, last game this season lets not dwell and look forward to next season!

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that - when you have just been humiliated, on national television, questions needs to be asked, and asnwers need to be found pretty damn quick, otherwise the season ahead won't be much to look forward to i'm afraid!

Yeah I do care but lets look at this, last game this season lets not dwell and look forward to next season!

Recently many clubs across the 3 football league divisions that finished in the playoffs or just below them have really struggled the next season and many have been relegated. I care about the result because I dont want it to happen to us next season.

Last season Leeds went down after losing in the playoff final the year before. When we won this division a couple of years ago Brentford were in the playoffs and went down the following season just like Hartlepool the year before after they lost to Sheffield Wednesday in the final. Southampton were in the playoffs last year and avoided relegation in the last 30 minutes of the final games of the season. Preston really struggled this year like wise so did Yeovil.

100% agree. I know the away fans were celebrating last night and trying to enjoy themselves but I couldnt do it, had a massive strop, still do becuase I couldnt believe the **** I was watching last night. Yes the team went on a good run to get in the playoff but to roll over and die, give in, and not play football at all was in excusable

Recently many clubs across the 3 football league divisions that finished in the playoffs or just below them have really struggled the next season and many have been relegated. I care about the result because I dont want it to happen to us next season.

Last season Leeds went down after losing in the playoff final the year before. When we won this division a couple of years ago Brentford were in the playoffs and went down the following season just like Hartlepool the year before after they lost to Sheffield Wednesday in the final. Southampton were in the playoffs last year and avoided relegation in the last 30 minutes of the final games of the season. Preston really struggled this year like wise so did Yeovil.

Fair point, and this season Forest went up automatically despite them suffering a five goal humiliation from being 2 up against the same Yeovil side.

Such rubbish mate.
We have done what we aimed to achieve which was to get to the play offs and see what we could do.
Doncaster were simply brilliant. Played us off the pitch, simple as. The lads tried their best but their quality proved. Defensively they were sound, giving Barnard no room whatso ever.
Im proud to be a Southend supporter more than I ever have right now.

We now look forward to next season, come on you blues!

Lets not forget that we have a very good manager and a supportive chairmen though.

I thought the mousse played well yesterday, better then Black normally does. I think when he gets his positioning right and has some confidence he will do very well for us indeed.

I thought the mousse played well yesterday, better then Black normally does. I think when he gets his positioning right and has some confidence he will do very well for us indeed.
I agree. However the main problem was that he is a central player and naturally drifted into the middle leaving them acres of space out wide. I know people moan about Black but with he's eperience i'm not sure if he would have given them that much space out wide.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that - when you have just been humiliated, on national television, questions needs to be asked, and asnwers need to be found pretty damn quick, otherwise the season ahead won't be much to look forward to i'm afraid!

Richard you do know it's only a game don't you. Humiliated on national TV??? Lighten up it might never happen.

Complete overreaction here imo... Donny were simply too good and they deserve to go up now!!! We were not ready - so what - we have had a good season and if we can keep much of this team together I have no doubt we will come back even stronger next year.

I have defended Black before but he has been out of form and Moussa played well so your argument there is rubbish.

Barrett didn't have the best of games... it happens! He has been brilliant again for us this season!!! He is without doubt good enough to get us promoted.

Same with Bailey... had a bad game so what. Is he not good enough either?!?

James Walker was poor but maybe now we won't waste any money on him!!!

I left the Keepmoat with a smile on my face... Doncaster were bar far the better team and I accepted that and joined the party to say thanks to our team for what has been a great season. Any doubts any of our players may have had over whether they want to be here next year may have been swayed by our tremendous support!!!

I for one am already looking forward to next season :)

A perfect post from Mr Cadette he is spot on, especialy about moussa as soon as the team was anounced I knew it was over, moooooooooos mayu turn out to be a decent centre midfielder but a right winger he aint, our full backs were actually not defending anything and I mean that they were shockingly bad(see francis lack of marking for 2nd) I only disagree about the comments about AB we did win the league with him at the back, DONNY WERE ON FIRE lets not forget that many people have siad we have got the best midfield in the div.......doncaster have by a country mile they won that game last night that coppinger is a vey very good player and we could even compete in that area, but what if walker had stuck that chance in? may have been a very different game

I can see it all going tits up if we're not carefull, and we think this was a one off bad game. Think it showed the strength of our squad or lack of, and reliance on one player to perform..we cannot afford that next season, and its not a foregone coclusion or indeed our right to get promoted.
It was embarrassing to be humiliated on TV, but lets take it as a lesson learned and build for next season, Hopefully it was the kicking TandB needed to look at the squad subjectively.
lets look at permanant players, not just the loanees

Spot on post, get ready for the negative feedback as if you care!

Spot on well said

last game of the season, well it didnt have to be. we was a disgrace only player in my eyes that was fit to wear the shirt was Peter Clarke, the others just didnt seem to be at the races

As for the Support, well it was good but why?

we was 4-0 down and started to have a party letting the players think they had a ok game,when we should of made it clear how pants they really where (and like Hartlepool away got on the back of the players and scored 3 goals, those there would know) [no free coaches that night],though out that "party" i just felt sad/gutted and let down, had my head in my hands from 3-0, and even had a little tier in my eye at full time, it just seemed the game didnt mean that much to some,and the fact we lost was ok coz we can play Col Ewe next season.
last night simple was just a waste of a whole season

i think we will also find it very hard next season and could even struggle

dont really care what most think of me or the above post but that how "I" felt and i clearing think and show passion a different way then others, doesnt mean in anyway i dont Support my club

Spot on well said

last game of the season, well it didnt have to be. we was a disgrace only player in my eyes that was fit to wear the shirt was Peter Clarke, the others just didnt seem to be at the races

As for the Support, well it was good but why?

we was 4-0 down and started to have a party letting the players think they had a ok game,when we should of made it clear how pants they really where (and like Hartlepool away got on the back of the players and scored 3 goals, those there would know) [no free coaches that night],though out that "party" i just felt sad/gutted and let down, had my head in my hands from 3-0, and even had a little tier in my eye at full time, it just seemed the game didnt mean that much to some,and the fact we lost was ok coz we can play Col Ewe next season.
last night simple was just a waste of a whole season

i think we will also find it very hard next season and could even struggle

dont really care what most think of me or the above post but that how "I" felt and i clearing think and show passion a different way then others, doesnt mean in anyway i dont Support my club

Some very good points, and I must say I personally thought last night's performance was shameful....in fact, one of the most abject I have seen in 15 years (and that is a lot of rancid performances!).
After all the build up, and travelling all that way however, I knew the reality and depression would kick in quite rapidly after the euphoria of the support shown, which it did, but I like to think that the amazing performance by the fans through adversity was more a show of 'We'll be back next year, but for now, let it be known we are still the best fans in the League', rather than think nobody cared about the dross unravelling in front of our eyes.

Back