• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best TV Show Everrrrrr

Pubey

The Wire.

Outside shouts = The West Wing, The Sopranos, Friday Night Lights.

The Wire.

Outside shouts = The West Wing, The Sopranos, Friday Night Lights.

This.

Not having Breaking Bad as one of the all-time greats. It's good, but not of the calibre of the above four mentioned.

Anyone that mentions Game of Thrones in this category needs to GTFO.

This.

Not having Breaking Bad as one of the all-time greats. It's good, but not of the calibre of the above four mentioned.

Apologies for having an opinion. Mine is that The Wire is boring, dull and hugely over-rated.

This.

With you on The Wire and FNL as you well know, but am going to have to defend GOT here.

Easy to dismiss (I have a friend who simply won't watch it as it has dragons in it) but there are some great plots, tremendous acting
  Spoiler:  
(Charles Dance will be missed)
and action scenes worthy of any Holywood blockbuster.

Is that meant to be a selling point?

Although if that's a typo I'd watch a Holyrood blockbuster.

ps Answer is Wire, and MK should watch it properly. The heathen.

Is that meant to be a selling point?

Although if that's a typo I'd watch a Holyrood blockbuster.

Can be. It's up to the viewer isn't it?

Saw episode 1 of that Holyrood blockbuster on Tuesday and didn't think much of it to be honest. Although the pterodactyl fella did quite well.

With you on The Wire and FNL as you well know, but am going to have to defend GOT here.

Easy to dismiss (I have a friend who simply won't watch it as it has dragons in it) but there are some great plots, tremendous acting
  Spoiler:  
(Charles Dance will be missed)

My dislike of it's got nothing to do with the material, but how it's been developed into TV. I watched two seasons of it and thought it was all over the shop. I understand the difficulties of working from source material, especially that as extensive as the original books, but it was so badly paced that I found it irritating. It's like a child recanting a story about what happened to them at school - "Today this happened, and then this happened, and then she said this which made him say this and then this happened, and then it all happened over there but while that was going in this happened and she said this!". All style and very little substance for me.

My dislike of it's got nothing to do with the material, but how it's been developed into TV. I watched two seasons of it and thought it was all over the shop. I understand the difficulties of working from source material, especially that as extensive as the original books, but it was so badly paced that I found it irritating. It's like a child recanting a story about what happened to them at school - "Today this happened, and then this happened, and then she said this which made him say this and then this happened, and then it all happened over there but while that was going in this happened and she said this!". All style and very little substance for me.

Yeah I tend to agree. I found the seasons to be badly paced, with the storylines and plots jumping randomly but then with a lot of mindless wandering. Supporting characters are built up to be one dimensional, and then killed off for little reason. The main characters (Tyrion, Jon Snow, Cersei, Dany) have a little bit more interest but even they seem to be drifting around. You can tell it's a TV interpretation of a book without an end.

The show boarders on nihilism, but when it does work there have been some fantastic moments. I've watched a lot of dark TV but the Red Wedding remains genuinely shocking, which in some ways is impressive for a big budget and major mainstream TV show.

Back