• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Betting scandal

I appreciate rules are rules but severe punishment for including your own team in a £5 accumulator is hardly going to rock the bookie's world.

I appreciate rules are rules but severe punishment for including your own team in a £5 accumulator is hardly going to rock the bookie's world.

I think he just got caught out when the FA investigated the irregular betting activities, but the other four are much, much more serious. Betting against your own team has to be one of the cardinal sins of professional sports.

I'd expect he'd be just fined, the others must surely be looking at life bans from football.

Little bit surprised that no-one has posted on this yet as the story broke this lunchtime.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_3/7987807.stm

IMHO this is a huge story, if it was premier$hite it would be all we would hear about for the next couple of years. Please don't tell me the goings on in the 4th division are below us.

It is a huge story and the reason why it isn't all over the papers is money. Would you want to read about 4th divison player betting against his team or a international player doing it. Its all about the profile of the player(s) who do it. High profile stars doing bad things are what sell newspapers/magazines. Short answer is MONEY!

It is a huge story and the reason why it isn't all over the papers is money. Would you want to read about 4th divison player betting against his team or a international player doing it. Its all about the profile of the player(s) who do it. High profile stars doing bad things are what sell newspapers/magazines. Short answer is MONEY!

I don't think it is a case of choosing between covering the 4th division player who is match fixing and the international who is match fixing. To my knowledge no internationals are match-fixing.

The editorial choice is a choice between the 4th division footballers who are matchfixing and the constipated Benetiz saying something nasty about Ferguson for the 20th time this season, or Ronaldo saying he isn't going to Real again. I'm far more interested in the matchfixing scandal than either of those two non-stories.

In any case, the story only broke today so it wouldn't be in today's papers. I'd be disappointed in Southend fans if they weren't interested (and appalled) by it. This questions the integrity of the very product we watch every week. Why aren't you all interested in it? Or is the thought that it might be rigged to painful to consider?

This is a far bigger story than the Champions (sic) League.

I don't think it is a case of choosing between covering the 4th division player who is match fixing and the international who is match fixing. To my knowledge no internationals are match-fixing.

The editorial choice is a choice between the 4th division footballers who are matchfixing and the constipated Benetiz saying something nasty about Ferguson for the 20th time this season, or Ronaldo saying he isn't going to Real again. I'm far more interested in the matchfixing scandal than either of those two non-stories.

In any case, the story only broke today so it wouldn't be in today's papers. I'd be disappointed in Southend fans if they weren't interested (and appalled) by it. This questions the integrity of the very product we watch every week. Why aren't you all interested in it? Or is the thought that it might be rigged to painful to consider?

Which is what I said. They have a higher profile than 4th division players.

Remember the Italian match-fixing scandal that had high profile clubs such as AC Milan docked points and Juve relegated.

They will face life bans, apart from the acca backer, who will probably get a still relatively severe sentence. Tony Kay of Sheff Wed in the 60's got a life ban for betting on a game he was involved in.

Similarly, I feel the players who deliberately smashed the ball out of play from the kick off to win on the spread for time of first throw in should've had the book thrown at them to. Was it a Charlton game in the Prem?

in the Sun today.. but oddly not in with the sport, on about page 20... wierd!

No need to get your knickers in a twist just because not everyone is replying to your thread.

They will face life bans, apart from the acca backer, who will probably get a still relatively severe sentence. Tony Kay of Sheff Wed in the 60's got a life ban for betting on a game he was involved in.

Similarly, I feel the players who deliberately smashed the ball out of play from the kick off to win on the spread for time of first throw in should've had the book thrown at them to. Was it a Charlton game in the Prem?

Harchester United did that on Dream Team.

Anyways, I think its shocking really. Betting on your own team to lose when you are playing. Surely thats linked in with match fixing. I'd be disgusted if this was a Southend United player that did it. I feel for the Stanley fans, this is very disappointing. Quite decent sums being bet as well, expect the £5 accumalater one.

"Mannix is alleged to have placed stakes to the value of approximately £4,000; Mangan £3,500; Harris £2,000; Williams £1,000; and Cavanagh on a £5 accumulator.":D

Cavanagh's going down in style at least!?

Wonder what else he had on his coupon.

Was good to hear that at the Accrington Stanley vs Chester match over the weekend the players involved in this, and that game, where booed.

Back