• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Former Southend United skipper Chris Barker dies aged 39

Chris Barker may not have played the most games of his career at Southend. Looking at the tributes all of his previous clubs paid towards him ours was by far the most fitting and heart warming. What a great send of the club and the fans gave to a man who fully deserved it.

Things like this make me proud of this club in such dire times.

This may be covered in another thread so by all means Mods move this to somewhere more appropriate if need be.

But I just wanted to say how proud I was watching the minutes applause for Chris Barker at the weekend. Sat as my normal routine dictates, on my couch at gone 1am trying not to wake up the house as I watch on iFollow. There’s not been much (if anything) happening on the pitch to make me proud to be a Shrimper this season but that certainly did. It was spine tingling and brought a tear to my eye, I don’t mind admitting.

If that’s how powerful it came across to me on the other side of the world then I can only imagine it felt and sounded like in the ground.

So well done all and thank you, felt good to feel pride in my club again.

it was very well observed and rightly so, a big shout to the Tranmere fans too as they also impeccably observed the minute as well

Agreed Andy. Plus the minute's silence before the game has to be the best observed & silent I've ever witnessed. You literally could've heard a pin drop.

Large

Your opportunity to bid for the Chris Barker Montage produced for Saturday's game. All proceeds go to Mind.

full story here:

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2020/january/bid-for-chris-barker-canvas/

Admirable, but I find this a little strange - unless there are two of them.

I would have liked to seen this hung up somewhere of note at the Club.

I think they should’ve reproduced a canvas print of the programme cover. Whoever came up with that did an excellent job and think that would sell really well and make some good money for the charity.

Worth posting your positive comments over to the Commercial team at SUFC guys, we're all too quick to criticise the Club so howabout letting them know you thought they got this absolutely right?

I know I did yesterday and they were very grateful for my comments.

And, everyone likes a bit of praise, don't they?

Worth posting your positive comments over to the Commercial team at SUFC guys, we're all too quick to criticise the Club so howabout letting them know you thought they got this absolutely right?

I know I did yesterday and they were very grateful for my comments.

And, everyone likes a bit of praise, don't they?
Fair point, and that’s praise worth passing on. To be honest though what made me most proud was the response of the fans...especially in the 39th minute.

Lovely Tweet from our old player Kevin Watson yesterday regarding Chris Barker.

The elation of last night replaced with extreme sadness today. Just got back from Rotherham and Barks memorial service. It was a beautiful service but SO SO sad. All I can say is that you’d have been humbled by the turnout of people who loved you mate. RIP ledge. Sleep tight

I fully appreciate this will be moved but saw this and felt it worth posting on here for a while. There are more important things in life than football and it’s ok to talk A69A2D20-C5DC-4475-8BC0-B4487BB39DD2.jpegA69A2D20-C5DC-4475-8BC0-B4487BB39DD2.jpeg

The money we all collected on The Zone will be going to MIND as requested by CB's family. I am just awaiting details before sending it off.

Hi John

The CEO of Rotherham came back to me yesterday with... “Ritchie is sending an electric invite out or on PFA website which will have a link to charity MIND and MND charities”

So I’m just waiting on the link.

Kind regards,

Rhys Ellingham
Head of Commercial
Southend United

A WHOLE host of former Shrimpers favourites will be re-uniting at Roots Hall to remember their ex-skipper Chris Barker.

More...

A WHOLE host of former Shrimpers favourites will be re-uniting at Roots Hall to remember their ex-skipper Chris Barker.

More...
This could be the best match we get to watch at roots hall this season.
looking at the line up any of thoses players in their prime would walk into our side.

really looking forward to seeing BBBC, sturrock and of cause the one And only bilel.

I don’t know if it’s because I am so tired from work but I cannot see a date for this game.

This could be the best match we get to watch at roots hall this season.
looking at the line up any of thoses players in their prime would walk into our side.

really looking forward to seeing BBBC, sturrock and of cause the one And only bilel.

Happy to buy a ticket and donate to the cause (over 50 years a supporter) with some great names returning to Roots Hall but won't actually attend if this idiot is playing - not fit to ever wear our shirt again and certainly not in a team remembering such a great professional player as Barks - cannot be mentioned in the same sentence for me.

Back