• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

biffo

First XI
At least we can all get on with our lives now. The brutal statistics show beyond doubt that we were not good enough throughout the whole set-up.
It's easy to knock the players (and i will a bit further on). However, in my opinion, the overiding factor in our demise from the championship is down to the organ grinders as opposed to the monkeys.
Throughout the season tilson/brush have made some mind bogling decisions. ie,
Playing hunt ahead of francis for a couple of months. eh? what the fcuk was that about? the former is an excuse for a footballer who has never played a decent ball in his southend career. The latter is a young gifted defender who can bolster the attack.
Playing Clarke in midfield. eh? what the fcuk was all that about? The bloke is a reasonably good central defender. Bar the odd moment but the poorest part of his game is passing. Critical, i would have thought in midfield.
Odd striker purchases. eh? what the fcuk was all that about? Harrold? the bloke was languishing in yeovil reserves for christ sakes. We all now know why. Foran? Did they actually have the bloke watched? or was it a impulse buy after getting knocked back for the aussie.
substitutions. Why so many times did they leave it so late when losing to make substitutions?

The war chest. what war chest? With all the extra revenue from tv, cup runs & an average crowd of 10,000. the chest ended up pretty threadbare

All in all, the management team have been found out. 1 million pounds spent on a gaggle of second rate players (bar francis, hammel & clarke...ish) and lets face it, they are hardly world beaters.The team that came up was'nt that bad, why not spend the money on 1 or 2 good additional players and use the remainder of the 'war chest' on their wages?

Your right of course, i am p1ssed off. But thats only because i have the niggling feeling that we could have/should have been able to get a foothold in this league.

So the ratings for today....

Flahavan. The bloke is ok for league 1 and below. Found out this season. Only good at reaction saves. Crap at anything over 6ft in the air. Couldn't command a boy scout group, let alone his area. Oh, and that nutmeg..pfff
Hamell. Not a bad left back. Definately a better back than midfielder! Certainly better than we had before. Unfortunately, another short ****.
Francis. One of the better purchases this season. The lad is prone to the odd mistake but that is nearly always as a result of an attacking option that went wrong. Good pace and a bit jigly with it. Oh, and hes quite tall.
Hunt. rhymes with....
Barrett. Started the season nervously but soon got in the groove. Heart on sleeve player. This bloke should be kept at southend for the remainder of his career. Does everything quite well.
Clarke. Couldn't pass wind let alone a football. But defensively he has the knack (the odd clanger accepted)
Maher. Injured early on but the bloke gives it all. I'll be surprised if the club doesn't get a bid.
McCormack. Very maheresque. With the addition of kamikaze 2 footed tackles. (i like him)
Moose. Started like a rabbit in the headlights but once he calmed down made some good tackles and a few deft passes.
JCR. Runs his **** off every game. No different today. A sweet corn in a sea of ****.
Bradbury. This player is shot. Lost his pace, lost his desire. Whinges more than my missus..
Foran. Banjo...****...cow. enough said.
Tilson/Brush. Tactically nieve. Assuming these fellows take the training. Either their methods are lacking or they have no discipline. The first goal today was a joke. 2 luton players had half of the pitch to themselves. We saw the goal coming 45 secs prior. Neither appear to be the sharpest knives in the drawer.
Martin. The guy would appear to be a first class, profitable property developer.

agree with most of it apart from the flavs bit. league 1 and below, definetly not, he can easily do it in this league. look at the man u game, he pulled of world class saves, the only match i can remember him playing bad was wolves away all the others he was brilliant. also saying he couldnt command a boy scout is rubbish, didnt u hear him screaming at the team. plus i like the way u say he cant do anything over 6ft in the air when he is 5ft 11. i think he gets up well for a short keeper.

Well I was feeling hugely dejected following today's dismal defeat and the consequences, but then a wave of positivity came over me after some thinking time about the prospect of next season in L1.....swiftly followed by a tsunami of negativity following this post! The worrying thing is, I do agree with a number of your views Biffo (apart from the uneccesary cynisism regarding Uncle Ron), particularly the tactical naievty of Tilly and Brush....not sure how to feel anymore!!

I'm sorry, but your comments re Lewis Hunt are way off beam, and quite frankly, the most contemptable and disugusting I have heard labelled at a footballer such as him.

The reason he played Right Back for a large part of the season was because Francis was completely and utterly out of his depth, absolutely atrocious at times, and one of the main reasons we were shipping goals left, right and centre at the start of the season.

Lewis Hunt has played just about every position in the team this season, including again today being asked to play at left back, and he has never let anyone down, and I am appaled that someone on here can say things like that about a player like Hunt who never gives anything less than 100%

Every club needs a utility player like him, and he has no shortage of qualities, no he may not be the most attacking of right backs in the world, no he may not be the most creative midfielder, and he certainly isnt a left back, BUT, he doesnt let you down, he is for my money a better right back than Francis and comments like you made should be reserved for people who deserve them....

Richie Foran

If he never plays for us again, it will be too soon. Lack of quality is one thing, but completely bone idle and doing nothing to help the cause like he did today is unforgiveable and he should be slung out of this club after that and many previous disinterested performances. Relegation, and possibly defeat, were inevitable today, but his performance was a disgrace and he shouldnt be allowed near a Southend shirt again.

his first half header was diabolical i agree foran should be on his way although you never know in league 1

Bit harsh on flavs but other than that hit the nail on the head!

Back