• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Big away followings following the blues

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
This season we will undoubtedly have some big away followings. Mainly due to the close locality and also the many new grounds we've yet to visit.

But over the years we have had some great away days with some decent numbers.

A few that spring to mind.

Alan little first match away at orient. Getting told it was a sell out only for them to open more of the stand up.

Webbys return at Blackpool. Only expecting a few hundred blues and there were possibly 800+ that day

Fulham in the FA cup. Absolutely rammed on their old terrace in about 99. Also the chaos in the park straight after.

What games do you remember or have surprised you?

We’ve always taken 4 figures in support to all of the London clubs, Brighton, Ipswich, Cambridge, Peterborough and Northampton which for a club stuck out of the coast is pretty decent.
Those midland clubs have it easy travel wise compared to us but we consistently take good numbers away.

We’ve always taken 4 figures in support to all of the London clubs, Brighton, Ipswich, Cambridge, Peterborough and Northampton which for a club stuck out of the coast is pretty decent.
Those midland clubs have it easy travel wise compared to us but we consistently take good numbers away.
Nots so good for home matches !

Newcastle away in August in the Keegan era back in the early 90's.Went by train from Nottingham where I was staying (at my younger brother's place not Rob Noxious but the other one).Was standing behind the goal with the Southend faithful.This was the game when the heavens opened on an uncovered terrace and we started singing "Look on the bright side of life".An obnoxious WPC refused to let me out at the end of the game and told me to "F off".Finally magaged to convice a more civilised bobby that I wasn't travelling on the coach by showing him my train ticket.Told him that I badly needed to catch the last train back to Notts at 12 past 5."At your own risk sir" as he opened the gate for me.We lost too!

Last edited:
I know it doesn’t really count but nothing surpasses the first LDV final. My abiding memory of passing coach after coach and car after car decked out with flags, scarves, banners etc.

kinda beats a coach and a half and a few cars to Chesterfield to stand freezing your nuts off watching dire fare but for me the old Chesterfield was high on the must go plus the old Shrewsbury

I loved the Blackpool Webby day out as well but I’m sorry nothing tops Layer Road is falling down when even Che Wilson gets on the scoresheet!

Actually Stockport away to win promotion is another favourite!

And how can I forget crashing on the way to Bury (car ended up a write off but still getting to game and back). We took 65,000 fans that day
Bury what a day shame about the coppers.

This season we will undoubtedly have some big away followings. Mainly due to the close locality and also the many new grounds we've yet to visit.

But over the years we have had some great away days with some decent numbers.

A few that spring to mind.

Alan little first match away at orient. Getting told it was a sell out only for them to open more of the stand up.

Webbys return at Blackpool. Only expecting a few hundred blues and there were possibly 800+ that day

Fulham in the FA cup. Absolutely rammed on their old terrace in about 99. Also the chaos in the park straight after.

What games do you remember or have surprised you?
Brilliant ! Remember them all Bristol rovers away one season? Must have had a new manager

I know we lost it but what about morecambe away last game of the season a few years back. Also roughly 33k southend fans at Wembley. Southampton away was unreal. Chelsea away was something else too just to name a few
10k southend fans 4k of that part timers.

23000 glory hunters ?

Did show though that if we ever got any near the top with a new stadium we could probably get 25k in each week. (I sound like ron now ?)

#bigcatchmentarea #sleepinggiants #warchest

Swansea away to seal promotion was special for me.

I started supporting the blues against Luton in 1993 so don't remember the previous promotion to the second tier.

It was magical to see 2000 shrimpers celebrating a real united side, managed by one of our own. Doesn't really get better than that.

Our first trip to layer Road for years in the semi final of the ldv. Heard about the Rivalry but never experienced it.

Great away evening. Beers in Colchester, then marched past the pub on the corner by the police. Drew Broughton giving it the big un.

This one for me too. What I found most amazing was that we were warned about the home crowd being rough and told not to wear Southend colours.

On the way out, most Swansea fans were applauding us and congratulating us for promotion. Incredible scenes.
Yes this for me too, I was in pub after the game with our fans and a Southend flag in the corner, and everyone was congratulating us.

Back