• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Big away followings following the blues

Newcastle away in August in the Keegan era back in the early 90's.Went by train from Nottingham where I was staying (at my younger brother's place not Rob Noxious but the other one).Was standing behind the goal with the Southend faithful.This was the game when the heavens opened on an overcovered terrace and we started singing "Look on the bright side of life".An obnoxious WPC refused to let me out at the end of the game and told me to "F off".Finally magaged to convice a more civilised bobby that I wasn't travelling on the coach by showing him my train ticket.Told him that I badly needed to catch the last train back to Notts at 12 past 5."At your own risk sir" as he opened the gate for me.We lost too!
We lost 2 nil, and we were in open end and it rained, a lot.

Winning 6-1 at Bournemouth in the League Cup.

Best we have ever played away from home was the 3-1 win at Derby under Bazza.

3-3 on a Tuesday night in Plymouth was a terrific game.

Most special was probably 3-2 at Swansea with 8 men on the field.

……and all of the others everyone else has mentioned.

None under Bond, Campbell or Moseley (if the gates had been open).

Certainly was. …..but it didn’t half rain…….particularly just before the game started.

During the game too.(Ironically I moved away from that covered (home) terrace on the side where you were watching the game from) and got a copper to let me in the away end before the match started.

Bury what a day shame about the coppers.
A.A got nicked for nothing. At his trial his Solicitor asked for the video evidence to be submitted, from the time he was arrested. Surprise, surprise OB claimed the tape was being changed at that moment!.
It took him 2 years to claim wrongful arrest etc, & eventually with the help of his good Solicitor, was awarded £3k compensation.

Donny away in play off game, royally stuffed, 2k Southend fans with amazing support. I've never seen home fans come on the pitch and clap an away support. As said before on here, Swansea and the scenes in that end when we realised we were actually, unbelievably going to play Championship football the next season, all the while the game was still playing.

I will chuck in Chesterfield away in the FA Cup at Saltergate, think it was 1st round in Tilly's reign. Filled the open terrace and it all went wild when Tes Bramble scored to make the final result 1 all. We beat them 2-0 in the replay at the Hall. Pre match, a police line outside their pub, to stop home fans getting in, as we had got there early and filled it. The home fans faces were a picture outside lol.... Happy Days!

Last edited:
Donny away in play off game, royally stuffed, 2k Southend fans with amazing support. I've never seen home fans come on the pitch and clap an away support. As said before on here, Swansea and the scenes in that end when we realised we were actually, unbelievably going to play Championship football the next season, all the while the game was still playing.
Couldn’t go to that game but watched on the telly. The support was amazing that evening. Genuinely have never seen anything like it. The commentators didn’t know how to handle it, because obviously Donny were so dominant but their own fans were quiet in comparison. It was a bit awkward. And that’s why our supporters were clapped at the end. Bearing in mind how disappointing it is to lose in the play offs after a long, hard season, it was incredible really. But then the club was pretty united back then. Great manager, an exciting team. Even though we were losing on the day there was a huge reservoir of pride in the club to draw from.

Winning 6-1 at Bournemouth in the League Cup.

Best we have ever played away from home was the 3-1 win at Derby under Bazza.

3-3 on a Tuesday night in Plymouth was a terrific game.

Most special was probably 3-2 at Swansea with 8 men on the field.
How many fans did we have at those games?
I was at the Derby one but can't remember how many we had there maybe 750?

Swansea away to win promotion was a special one.

Everton away in January '92 was memorable for the amount of Southend fans. Incredible. Before the game I remember walking down a long street by Stanley Park and it was literally full of coaches from Southend.

Does anyone know how many away fans went that day?

Back