• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Firestorm

Pedant
Seeing the silly season is upon us and we are either being linked or speculating about who we would like to see down at the hall. Does anyone have a particular favourite or in fact actually remember anyone who has been any good when they have joined us on the way down from a reasonable career ?

Whelan was great but for a very short while and ditto Marsh. In both of these cases we were only 1 rung below the prem so we were the beginning of the end so to speak. But the likes of Neville Southall, Frank Lampard, even Paul Brush have hardly set Roots Hall alight once they have stepped down a few rungs. And as for Tony Currie !!

The only one which springs to mind is Eddie Firmani (I think David Jack is going a little too far back) and , although for Scunny as opposed to us Peter Beagrie.

Oh and Phil Chisnall

Super Rob Newman!..

smile.gif

Roy McDonough's second spell ?
laugh.gif

Phil Whelan after a succesful career as a donkey ?
tounge.gif

Rob Newman is a great call; someone not just here for the pay packet and I thought he was unlucky to get shown the door.

I didn't think Brushy did that bad for us as a player. Frank Lampard was hilarious though and what a goal !

John McKiiven & Billy Best. And what about Mel Slack ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ June 07 2005,08:55)]Roy McDonough's second spell ?
laugh.gif

Phil Whelan after a succesful career as a donkey ?
tounge.gif

Rob Newman is a great call; someone not just here for the pay packet and I thought he was unlucky to get shown the door.

I didn't think Brushy did that bad for us as a player. Frank Lampard was hilarious though and what a goal !
Newman is a good call

My best Lampard memory was a free kick where the ball was rolled to him and he promptly fell over

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ June 07 2005,08:55)]Phil Whelan after a succesful career as a donkey ?
tounge.gif
I'm sure when you're an England under-21 international too, Phil will be very upset by your opinion.

tounge.gif

Alan Foggon he had played for Man U and we got him from Sunderland we paid about £15000 for him in the mid 70's.....unfortunately the saying who eat all the pies summed him up brilliantly....when he warmed up from the subs bench the fans started singing roll out the barrel.....he wasn't around long.

I was a big fan of Richard Jobson when he had a (brief) loan spell with us in about 1998. He'd played for Oldham (when they were a top div side) as well as Leeds.

Was often picked for England squads, but before the days of England managers giving out caps like confetti, he never actually made the first XI.

I would love to see Sir Chrissy Powell make a comeback for us; and wouldn't mind seeing Roycie between the sticks. Oh, and...

*donning tin hat*

...as chairman of DaLAS, I'd be delighted to see David Lee back as well!

tounge.gif

*removes tin hat*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ June 07 2005,09:18)]I was a big fan of Richard Jobson when he had a (brief) loan spell with us in about 1998. He'd played for Oldham (when they were a top div side) as well as Leeds.

Was often picked for England squads, but before the days of England managers giving out caps like confetti, he never actually made the first XI.
Good call richard Jobson and Simon coleman when we had em at the back together i think wasnt bad. Mike Marsh was a legend when he played for us and Whelan wasnt to bad either at the start of his playing days.

My Man City supporting friend met Jobson after a City game and this was after he played for us. Apparently he really enjoyed it at Roots Hall and was offered a player-coach deal but his wife didnt want to move down Sarf. He had very fond memories of Southend.

Back