• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Big Sol in the race!

Sol Campbell could be the one, and if the options probably the most realistic chance of success as he has no sufc legacy.

But with Neil Harris, I would be very pleased with that, especially if AB wants to be his no 2!

You can’t deny that what he did at Macclesfield was impressive and he may do the same here.

Some people are able to get the best out of players and things work well certain people at certain clubs. I’m not saying it’s going to 100% work but as a player would you rather have Bond, Waddock and Todorov or Campbell, Cole and Hreidarsson to look upto?

A lot of these players didn’t perform for Powell either.
So that’s Powell, Bond and Waddock they don’t seem able to perform for.
Face facts, the players we have are not of a good standard and need clearing out. Not all of course, but a significant number and it’s dragging us down.
That stat I saw about four wins since February says everything you need to know about the players at the club, simply shocking.

The new manager HAS to be an ex-defender, we’re shipping almost 3 goals per sodding game in League One! That leaves either Campbell or Barrett if Ron has his head screwed on (unlikely)....

But whoever comes in has a MASSIVE job on their hands. Both goalkeepers are an accident waiting to happen, the backline is atrocious and we have the worst collection of central midfielders I can remember in my 31 years as a Shrimper.

What a f***ing mess.... :Scared:

If there is any chance of Harris and Barrett then that is what we should be going for.

Both local. Both have affection for the club and both have the knowledge of this league and getting a team to perform well.

I know it should only be about results, but Sol is both a massive ****er (by all accounts) and a massive Tory (by his own admission), so for those reasons, I'm out.

I know it should only be about results, but Sol is both a massive ****er (by all accounts) and a massive Tory (by his own admission), so for those reasons, I'm out.

What the hell has anyone’s political opinions got to do with this?

Ive given up guessing who will be mnager ,but whoever it is will get my support , by the way ,i said Sol Campbell weeks before Bond resigned .Lot on here laughed at that suggestion back then

I would really like Sol Campbell of all the candidates. Really hungery for success, still a bit to prove and fits in with Ron's " not the usual English manager merry go round".

To be fair neither would AB or Neil Harris of the other named English candidates who are high in the bookies betting.

Only drawback I could see with Sol and it is not him at all, would be a repeat of Macclesfield, e.g just supposing he got the job AND works another miracle and keeps us up. With all the financial issues we have, that he gets cheesed off and moves on, but with another big tick on his C.V a division up.

Although, looking at this year and last couple, we have bought in a range of players and I would still say Stephen Humphrys is one of our best signings over the past three or four years, (so we done SCP for that). So hopefully signing players and improving the squad would not be a sticking point as it was at Macclesfield for him.

imo fwiw, the last couple of days names mentioned seem a better fit for us, than HL in our position and no disrespect meant to HL.

I would really like Sol Campbell of all the candidates. Really hungery for success, still a bit to prove and fits in with Ron's " not the usual English manager merry go round".

To be fair neither would AB or Neil Harris of the other named English candidates who are high in the bookies betting.

Only drawback I could see with Sol and it is not him at all, would be a repeat of Macclesfield, e.g just supposing he got the job AND works another miracle and keeps us up. With all the financial issues we have, that he gets cheesed off and moves on, but with another big tick on his C.V a division up.

Although, looking at this year and last couple, we have bought in a range of players and I would still say Stephen Humphrys is one of our best signings over the past three or four years, (so we done SCP for that). So hopefully signing players and improving the squad would not be a sticking point as it was at Macclesfield for him.

imo fwiw, the last couple of days names mentioned seem a better fit for us, than HL in our position and no disrespect meant to HL.

That’s the same players who’ve won four games since February yes?

That’s the same players who’ve won four games since February yes?

Hi S A M good to talk to you :Smile: and yes, it would have to be until Jan at least, and I know I was stretching a point, and it was only a bright sided glass half full example. bear with me as there are going to be a fair few if's in this reply, thanks in advance. Firstly it's not a given Sol is the man, but if he was...

However, if, and I agree with the point you have made, it's a very big if..... if .he pulled us up to finish out of the bottom three, because I think, whoever comes in, most of us on here would accept the most likely outcome this season is relegation. But, that doesn't mean we have to accept it and we would all want to see a squad not accepting that and like to see performances showing a fighting spirit and not an acceptance of that outcome, as we have seen for the most part of this season.

He came in in very similar team circumstances at Macclesfield, with a much bigger deficit pointswise to make up, with less of the season to do it in and players who appeared out of their depth in L2 with the performances they had been putting in. having come up from the conference the year before, with limited budgets and financial pressures to contend with.

Also, he had arguably limited knowledge and contacts at that level, was unfancied and seen as taking the MTFC job, because no one else would take a chance on him.

I think it shows he has something about him, call it what you will, chip on his shoulder, over confidence, belief in his own ability, the bottom line was it worked.

Many on here have said whoever comes in, relegation is most likely and like Ryan Lowe, they should be given the chance to rebuild for the long term.

So all I am saying in summary, is, if he got the job, I think he stands a chance of over delivering on our expectations, not having us raising our expectations and having succeeded under similar circumstances might surprise us all.

Our track record of standing by our managers as long as Ron hass over past years, until this season, and given that chance to rebuild could well appeal to him and I would like to think we could be the next step up for him and that might appeal to him.

Long winded but I hope it answers your point that I don't disagree with and the fact it contained, in some way.

Nazis don't make good managers, have you seen escape to victory? Other than that I'm struggling

Yeah , I think Adolf would have been a poor Manager.
But can you imagine the kit ?
They would have been immaculately turned out !

The players were apparently told a couple of weeks ago that Sol will be the new manager.[/QUOTE]

Lol. So all that about Larsson sitting next to Ron, and him flying to Sweden was just a smokescreen.

Back