• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

big teams next season

TMWLT

Banned
last season some fools on here said we would be one of the biggest teams in the division, and claimed if i remember that we were bigger than barnsley.

so with peterboro mk dons leicester, where does this leave us ??? well teams like huddersfield, swindon, millwall will all surely come again?? so could be about 8th or 9th in attendances and 10th in positions. A lot depends on the players tilson is looking to bring in, combined with the money raised from the share issue, ??? which i reckon will be about £70,000. so that gives us about £150,000 in the kitty, once we off load, players like gower(hopefully) flavs9s(saves on wages) and some of the other players. so what to buy ?? who knows

we won't get much for 150000 and your post isn't very controversial. Is everything ok?

I think there are too many factors in play to be able to make a league table of biggest to smallest clubs. But you could categorise them. All categories based on combination of recent history, ground size and average attendance, each category containing clubs which are, in my view, of a similar size, in no particular order.

Category 1
Leeds United
Leicester City

Category 2
Millwall
Huddersfield Town
Southend United
Carlisle United
Tranmere Rovers

Category 3
Milton Keynes Dons (?)
Peterborough United
Bristol Rovers
Leyton Orient
Brighton and HA
S****horpe United
Swindon Town
Colchester United
Oldham Athletic
AFC Bournemouth
Walsall

Category 4
Cheltenham Town
Hartlepool United
Stockport County
Crewe Alexandra
Northampton Town
Hereford United

I think there are too many factors in play to be able to make a league table of biggest to smallest clubs. But you could categorise them. All categories based on combination of recent history, ground size and average attendance, each category containing clubs which are, in my view, of a similar size, in no particular order.

Category 1
Leeds United
Leicester City

Category 2
Millwall
Huddersfield Town
Southend United
Carlisle United
Tranmere Rovers

Category 3
Milton Keynes Dons (?)
Peterborough United
Bristol Rovers
Leyton Orient
Brighton and HA
S****horpe United
Swindon Town
Colchester United
Oldham Athletic
AFC Bournemouth
Walsall

Category 4
Cheltenham Town
Hartlepool United
Stockport County
Crewe Alexandra
Northampton Town
Hereford United

Sadly you might find MK Dons moving into the Cat 2 teams this season.

Huddersfield might be pushing a Cat 1 place this season as well, especially with 15,000+ crowds.

last season some fools on here said we would be one of the biggest teams in the division, and claimed if i remember that we were bigger than barnsley.

so with peterboro mk dons leicester, where does this leave us ??? well teams like huddersfield, swindon, millwall will all surely come again?? so could be about 8th or 9th in attendances and 10th in positions. A lot depends on the players tilson is looking to bring in, combined with the money raised from the share issue, ??? which i reckon will be about £70,000. so that gives us about £150,000 in the kitty, once we off load, players like gower(hopefully) flavs9s(saves on wages) and some of the other players. so what to buy ?? who knows

Yeah, let's get rid of Gower. For five years we've had to put up with his goals and assists. We don't need his kind around here.

I thought the share issue raised about 1.5 million?

And we did sell Eastwood and JCR for nearly 2 million.

And we average 8000 in the league and made the play-offs

Surely we must have atleast 500-750k for tilly to add to the team.

We must have one of the healthiest futures and bank balances in the league.

I thought the share issue raised about 1.5 million?

And we did sell Eastwood and JCR for nearly 2 million.

And we average 8000 in the league and made the play-offs

Surely we must have atleast 500-750k for tilly to add to the team.

We must have one of the healthiest futures and bank balances in the league.

Don't think the share issue raised as much as that?

We might have a healthy future, but I doubt the bank balance is that heathly yet?

Sadly you might find MK Dons moving into the Cat 2 teams this season.

Huddersfield might be pushing a Cat 1 place this season as well, especially with 15,000+ crowds.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I put a question mark next to MK Dons. They're only in cat 3 because of their recent history, i.e., last time we were in League One together, which is pretty recently, they were only getting average gates of 5-6k per week I think, and they were in League Two last season. But you're right, it's only a matter of time before they move into category 2.

As for Huddersfield - hmmmm. Huge ground for this level, 9300 average gate last season, pretty good.....I'm not convinced that they're quite category one yet though. Their recent history is no better (in fact is probably worse) than any of the clubs in categories 1 and 2, and from reading another thread, it would appear that their huge gates next season will only be because of ridiculously low season ticket prices!

Category 1
Leeds United
Leicester City

Category 2
Millwall
Huddersfield Town
Southend United
Carlisle United
Tranmere Rovers

Category 3
Milton Keynes Dons (?)
Peterborough United
Bristol Rovers
Leyton Orient
Brighton and HA
S****horpe United
Swindon Town
Colchester United
Oldham Athletic
AFC Bournemouth
Walsall

Category 4
Cheltenham Town
Hartlepool United
Stockport County
Crewe Alexandra
Northampton Town
Hereford United

& what category would you put Yeovil in?!! :dim: :p

Hartlepool fans were some of the more impressive we had visit, there was alot of them and they made a fair racket. That said they have a low home attendance don't they?

Hartlepool fans were some of the more impressive we had visit, there was alot of them and they made a fair racket. That said they have a low home attendance don't they?

Yeah they do, and they were in League 2 season before the one just gone :)

Argh...there's always one isn't there Richard? You over-observant know-it-all! Straight swap Yeovil for Bournemouth!

:D I spotted AFCB staright away, but took me a minute or so to work out who you had left out!

I think that Yeovil are a bit better than AFCB, but not much!

I think we do ourselves an injustice. In terms of attendences, the year we won league 1 we were the 5th or 6th best team. Unfortunately in the championship our average gate was the 3rd or 4th worst. Again last season we must have been in the top 6 or 8th at worst. Therein lies our problem, we are a good league 1 team with attendances to match, but with a stadium only holding 11,500 we will never break into the next level without more cash. That can only come from a bigger ground and crowd, or a wealthy benefactor.

We need to look at the likes of Hull and even Doncaster who have benefited from the building of an appropriate size stadium.

Category 1
Leeds United
Leicester City

Category 2
Millwall
Huddersfield Town
Southend United
Carlisle United
Tranmere Rovers

Category 3
Milton Keynes Dons (?)
Peterborough United