• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
I think after the news today we should make Saturday the Paul Sturrock day. In my opinion (and i have always backed him) the guy deserves a massive amount of credit. For the third season on the trot he is having a bigger battle off the pitch than on it, but yet again he manages the team in a way that produces results. Ok we are midtable (albeit after 7 games) but he has still built a half decent squad with nothing to spend. I know people criticise his style of play and thats their choice, but i think he deserves more credit than he gets. Maybe we could do a 'One paul sturrock chant' at an agreed point of the game, for a period of time. What shirt number did he wear? TBV, up for it???

I think after the news today we should make Saturday the Paul Sturrock day. In my opinion (and i have always backed him) the guy deserves a massive amount of credit. For the third season on the trot he is having a bigger battle off the pitch than on it, but yet again he manages the team in a way that produces results. Ok we are midtable (albeit after 7 games) but he has still built a half decent squad with nothing to spend. I know people criticise his style of play and thats their choice, but i think he deserves more credit than he gets. Maybe we could do a 'One paul sturrock chant' at an agreed point of the game, for a period of time. What shirt number did he wear? TBV, up for it???

Indeed, and a very similar record to a certain TubbyJockoGobshyte who has spent ridiculous amounts of money assembling a squad of players seemingly intent on getting him the sack....god moves in mysterious ways.

I did last season, but not this. IMHO Luggy has got it exactly right this year in terms of finding a style of play that gets the best out of the forward players and the team as a unit as well as being pleasing on the eye - soooo much better this season. :thumbsup:

On an overall scale I agree, absolute full credit to him. :Worthy: What Sturrock has done has been nothing short of miraculous under the circumstances and the team spirit looks top notch (PS and Clohessy have said as much and you could see it evident from Tuesday too from the subs at HT and also the team huddle before both halves, something I've never seen us do before). We're going to need that team spirit in the months ahead, I only hope matters can improve off the pitch as IMHO this squad is only a couple of players (that we obviously can't add due to the mess we're in again!) from being very strong contenders this year.

Going back to Sturrock though, fantastic job and if you're reading this Clunie well done and thanks (and if you're not PS please pass that on to the man himself!). :smile::winking:

Let's really get behind the boys and PS on Saturday, they need our full support. :loyalsupporter:

We're extremely lucky to have him here.

Spot on, I'd dread to think where we'd be if we didn't. My immediate guess with the financial state we're in would be heading for the Blue Square and possible extinction.....it worries me this is Sturrock's last year of his deal. :unsure:

Completely agree. However, I suspect this will be a short-lived thread. Most people only seem to want to moan.

Gotta give him huge respect. Takes a lot of stick from the fans but at the end of the day he knows best. He's admitted before when he's made tactical errors, which not many manager do, and IMO is a very good man manager. Players seem to have the upmost respect for him and that goes a long way in todays game.

I second that I worry that this is hs last year on his deal but if, and that's a big if, we can sort out our financial position and start paying him again, then I'm sure he'd be happy to extend his current deal. When he first came here, he said that he and the board had a 5 year plan to get us into the Championship. Now I know last year was a huge setback for us having put so much into it but I'm sure he would't be here now if he didn't feel that the squad we have at the moment, when all fit, are capable of having another real go at it this time round.

In Sturrock I trust. :thumbsup:

Its been well documented that PS thinks he was overlooked for job's because of his illness, but since he's been with us he's made that look ridiculous. He has taken a club on its knee's & turned it into promotion contenders, that alone should be enough for any chairman looking for a manager to take notice.

I worry every time a L1 or L2 club are in the hunt for a new boss, because if the rumours are true regarding him not being paid, he'd probably be within his rights to walk away from his contract & we would have no case for compensation from another club acquiring his services.

I really hope it doesn't happen as I'm not sure there are many people that could handle the mess that SUFC are in & get the results he does, but everyone has a breaking point & there's usually no shortage of sackings when early season looks like turning into a relegation battle, where are Col U in L1 at the mo..:whistling:

Keeping SUFC not only in the football league but competitive has to be up there with his best acheivements.

Have nothing but respect for the man, and as stated, the players respect him and that has what has brought people into this club despite the financial situation. Long may he reign.

Does not get enough credit in my opinion. He seems to be a very calm and level headed bloke, and doesn't really seem to let the off field issues affect him or the team. We are very lucky to have him here.

Good to see that many on here realise what a great assett we have in PS.

We all need to get behind him and his depleated squad on Saturday to voice our appriciation for the fantastic job they are doing against the odds.

If the knockers start moaning it's up to us genuine fan's to drown them out with possitive vocal support.

Lets hope he sticks it out, theres only so much the guy will take before thinking its a lost cause.

It is about high time that Ron Martin and the Board publicly recognised and praised the magnificent job that Paul Sturrock has done at Southend. I think he is probably one of the most intelligent, honest, and astute managers we have had in many a year.

While I appreciate the fiances are desperately tight, there is nothing to stop Ron Martin and his Board acknowledging Paul Sturrock's dedication to making the best of a very difficult situation at the club.

Can't really argue that he has done a decent job under extremely difficult conditions, the only point I would make is that he knew what sort of person RM was when he took the job so he can't be surprised at the state of things.

Back