• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bigger airport means more noise for Leigh??

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
Airport's been crying out for expansion for the last 20 years or so, people living in the area have always known it. Used to sit in Westcliff High with big old planes very low overhead on final approach, so can't honestly think it can be too much worse than it was back then. Has to be good for the area in my eyes.

No Qualms with it at all...Planes are much quiter nowerdays. I live right by the airport and love watching the big planes take off. The noise never bothers me!!

No Qualms with it at all...Planes are much quiter nowerdays. I live right by the airport and love watching the big planes take off. The noise never bothers me!!

_40577055_anorak203.jpg

:whistling:

The Aircraft currently using the airport are often in for repair and / or are quite old. opening the Airport up to the larger carriers will result in a number of the planes being more modern (or fitted with hush kits) than those currently using it and be quieter.

These FOE people who are objecting , whilst i have no doubt that they are well intentioned, but unless they "live the life" ie don't ever fly, pollute the atmosphere or contribute to the "destruction" of the planet in anyway are they not being a touch hypocritical ?

For every extra plane that takes off from Southend thats a fair few cars not driving all the way to Stansted/luton/Gatwick/Heathrow for starters

Interesting that debate about landing gradients. Currently the two instrument approaches allowed at Southend Airport on Runway 06 (i.e. the runway that would mean flying low over Leigh) have gradients of 4.6% and 5.13%. If they do indeed reduce the gradient it may actually make quite a difference. The standard is 3%. However, the gradients must have been set for a reason, and I wouldn't have thought a longer runway would allow a shallower gradient.

Having said that, i'm only a PPL, and don't have an instrument rating, so I could be completely wrong...

I used to live in Leigh on the flight path, and I used to love watching the big planes fly in low over head....nostalgic?...rose tinted glasses?..maybe, but on a positive note, surely any expansion of the airport would benefit the area.
It also be able to ship in our new found support from the Scotland....we could become the new MANUTD, by having Fossets Farm full of supporters from anywhere but Southend....including me!
If the airport wasnt expanded, what would happen to the place-? would it close and houses built on it?

has the road system in and out of the airport improved any to accept the increased traffic into an out of the airport? Are there plans for improved parking, especially long term, or will there be fields and shuttle services built, like Luton/Gatwick etc?
And the railways?....whats the nearest station now, and has that been earmarked for improvement?

has the road system in and out of the airport improved any to accept the increased traffic into an out of the airport? Are there plans for improved parking, especially long term, or will there be fields and shuttle services built, like Luton/Gatwick etc?
And the railways?....whats the nearest station now, and has that been earmarked for improvement?

theres planning permission for a new station right near the airport, what that will mean for Prittlewell / Rochford or both i do not know....

Another vote for Edinburgh or Glasgow to Southend scheduled flights please!

***Cough****

I think that there might be a rumour started about Oil being discover of the beach at Southend....therefore the obvious choice would be a link from Southend Airport to the Oil Capital of Europe

:whistling:

Back