• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
The 17th annual Southend biker Shakedown will depart from The Ace Cafe Stonebridge, in north-west London, at 10.30am.
The fundraiser will see hundreds of bikers arrive at Southend seafront for a family-focused day out.
Now the trouble with this is that it raises thousands for mainly childrens charities, and if you haven't seen it, it's worth going down to the seafront to see all types of motor bikes. You even get old mods and rockers talking and admiring each others bikes and scooters. Now in the past, Southend council and the wardens and the police would give a pass to the bikers and let them park all the way along the golden mile without giving a ticket, unless parked in a really silly or dangerous place. Fair enough. Now in the last few years, the council have been sending down their full force of traffic wardens and making it a big earner for the council coffers. The last two years there have been very heated exchanges between bikers and wardens.
Come on Southend. This is a much loved event, it raises so much money for good causes. Those bikers have to park somewhere, and they do their bikes up to be seen by everyone, not to be stuck in a car park and taking all the cars spaces. Give them a pass and let everyone have a great day down the seafront.
The bikers are already talking about finding another seaside town that will be kinder to them. They spend a lot of money here on the day, which is a massive boost to the seaside traders. Let's not lose this great event.

Last edited:
Never mind we can all go to the air show instead:stunned:

Heading down there myself in a hour or so, although, sadly it will be in the car rather than a Vespa.

Mrs RHB and I walked the sea front from the Kursaal to the Genting club and back. There were some pretty impressive pieces of machinery parked along the whole route without a parking warden in sight.

Interestingly, I would think the average age group of the bikers had to be up in the 50s or 60s. When you imagine the prices of some of the bikes I'm not sure why I was surprised at the ages, I doubt youngsters could have afforded some of those babies. Because there were a fair few scooters parked up I asked a steward why they allowed it, he told me that when motor bikes break down it is quite handy to have ready made spares laying about.

Mrs RHB and I walked the sea front from the Kursaal to the Genting club and back. There were some pretty impressive pieces of machinery parked along the whole route without a parking warden in sight.

Interestingly, I would think the average age group of the bikers had to be up in the 50s or 60s. When you imagine the prices of some of the bikes I'm not sure why I was surprised at the ages, I doubt youngsters could have afforded some of those babies. Because there were a fair few scooters parked up I asked a steward why they allowed it, he told me that when motor bikes break down it is quite handy to have ready made spares laying about.

The steward has obviously owned a Vespa. :smile: Mine packed up so many times I had my own parking space at Kegra.

Roads were chaos through Southend, we went over to Southchurch to see the grand kiddies at 2ish....took an hour from Benfleet!

Accident at Cuckoo Corner earlier caused mayhem and required Air Ambulance.

its a great day, we have been down the sea front before, but its almost guaranteed to be an accident.

I can't see that this is a massive earner for the town.

The bikers will drink one and a half pints maximum each and maybe buy a portion of chips.

Surely we should be targeting coach loads of rowdy troublemakers out for a beano?

Each one will buy twenty pints, a portion of chips and potentially get a tattoo as well.

The police can clean up the inevitable fights and our magistrates can impose severe fines in the courts.

If you ask me the town is missing out on a massive payday.

I can't see that this is a massive earner for the town.

The bikers will drink one and a half pints maximum each and maybe buy a portion of chips.

Surely we should be targeting coach loads of rowdy troublemakers out for a beano?

Each one will buy twenty pints, a portion of chips and potentially get a tattoo as well.

The police can clean up the inevitable fights
and our magistrates can impose severe fines in the courts.

If you ask me the town is missing out on a massive payday.

Ah the Seventies and Eighties. That seaway car park could have about 50 coaches some saturday nights in the summer. It was like the wild west down the seafront sometimes. A lot of it happened in Quills whilst I was there.

The steward has obviously owned a Vespa. :smile: Mine packed up so many times I had my own parking space at Kegra.

I own 3 vespas and a Lambretta, Graham at Kegra used to do all my work....great mechanic but blooming expensive.

Back