• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
Is the dressing room still having an affect on Bilel Mohsni?

How Baldwin came straight into the side last night was ludicrous. Don't get me wrong, I think Baldwin is a good signing but he hasn't played a first team game for 3 months and it showed.

I'm not saying Bilel playing would have changed the end result but for me he has to be playing at the back.

It's been documented this season that Chris Barker has said "I can't play with him" in regards to Bilel.

So, is Barker, who has looked poor himself all season in my opinion being that much of an arse in refusing to play at the back with Bilel?

Who's picking the team? the manager or the captain?

He has made impact after impact this seasn when not at the back.

Question is why should we put him in defence when he is more effective in midfield or up front ?

Go through the suggested lineups for yesterdays game, most people picked Baldwin and few wanted Mohsni.

Is the dressing room still having an affect on Bilel Mohsni?

How Baldwin came straight into the side last night was ludicrous. Don't get me wrong, I think Baldwin is a good signing but he hasn't played a first team game for 3 months and it showed.

I'm not saying Bilel playing would have changed the end result but for me he has to be playing at the back.

It's been documented this season that Chris Barker has said "I can't play with him" in regards to Bilel.

So, is Barker, who has looked poor himself all season in my opinion being that much of an arse in refusing to play at the back with Bilel?

Who's picking the team? the manager or the captain?

Funny that, cos he could certainly play with him last season when at times we were rock solid with those 2 performing so well at centre-half.....

Barker this season has been hugely disappointing compared to last, he should look at his own game first.

Funny that, cos he could certainly play with him last season when at times we were rock solid with those 2 performing so well at centre-half.....

Barker this season has been hugely disappointing compared to last, he should look at his own game first.

Exactly my point. I believe it was at the Ipswich friendly he said this. Don't quote me on that though!

Putting aside the obvious debate about position / formation etc , the best way to win any football match is to pick your best players.
This should be based primarily on form , fitness and ability.
It is clear that based on the past two seasons , Bilel Mohsni does not have 11 players at our club ahead of him.
Yet , and yes I know the temprement debate will be thrown up again , he is constantly left on the bench and then brought on 'when things are going wrong'.
Good old Bilel , come on for 20 minutes and get us 1 or 2 goals to win matches.
The guy must wonder what he has to do ??
All the debate a couple of weeks back was about should we keep him or sell him , well if I were him , I'd be thinking whether he wants to stay here to sit endlessly on the bench whilst Barker , Gilbert and Dickinson are on the pitch.
Things ( once again ) only livened up when he came on and he was unlucky not to score.
Without Mohsni and Hall , we are totally predictable.
Don't get me wrong , considering where we were before the start of last season , we have come a long way and done much better than people expected.
Sturrock needs a lot of praise for that.
But last night was a total mismatch and really showed up our limitations.
We can still get promotion this year and think our 'style' is much better suited away from home , but we need to pick the players that can do something extra and win us the tight games from the start - not cameos when the game is already up.
RANT OVER.................

Putting aside the obvious debate about position / formation etc , the best way to win any football match is to pick your best players.
This should be based primarily on form , fitness and ability.
It is clear that based on the past two seasons , Bilel Mohsni does not have 11 players at our club ahead of him.
Yet , and yes I know the temprement debate will be thrown up again , he is constantly left on the bench and then brought on 'when things are going wrong'.
Good old Bilel , come on for 20 minutes and get us 1 or 2 goals to win matches.
The guy must wonder what he has to do ??
All the debate a couple of weeks back was about should we keep him or sell him , well if I were him , I'd be thinking whether he wants to stay here to sit endlessly on the bench whilst Barker , Gilbert and Dickinson are on the pitch.
Things ( once again ) only livened up when he came on and he was unlucky not to score.
Without Mohsni and Hall , we are totally predictable.
Don't get me wrong , considering where we were before the start of last season , we have come a long way and done much better than people expected.
Sturrock needs a lot of praise for that.
But last night was a total mismatch and really showed up our limitations.
We can still get promotion this year and think our 'style' is much better suited away from home , but we need to pick the players that can do something extra and win us the tight games from the start - not cameos when the game is already up.
RANT OVER.................

You mention Bilel coming on and making a difference and winning matches, so would you pay him at Centre Half where he wont be doing that ?

Bilel isnt playing for his attitude and ability to self implode. The added complication is where do you actually play him ? He wont win us games from the back, except for set pieces, and is he really a better / more reliable defender than Barker or Baldwin ?

If I was going to pick him Id be putting him up front at the moment as thats where he is making the most impact.

Bilel Mohsni may be a better player than Pat Baldwin but Baldwin is by far the better defender.

It's the Mohsni quandary, isn't it? We all know how good he is but where do you play him?

You mention Bilel coming on and making a difference and winning matches, so would you pay him at Centre Half where he wont be doing that ?

Bilel isnt playing for his attitude and ability to self implode. The added complication is where do you actually play him ? He wont win us games from the back, except for set pieces, and is he really a better / more reliable defender than Barker or Baldwin ?

If I was going to pick him Id be putting him up front at the moment as thats where he is making the most impact.
As I said at the start , I wasn't focusing on where you play him and take your point about him self imploding etc , but the fact is we need something right now and we won't get that from the 'safe' picks.
Barker is so out of form or unfit ( or both ) but as he is Captain , he seems an automatic selection which is costing us.
If you see something in Gilbert , then please let me know , because I am clearlymissing it.
I agree that Mohsni would probably make more impact up front , but I just want Sturrock to pick him from the start - ANYWHERE !!!
We can either die a slow painful death in the next few months , or go down fighting.
I know which option I'd pcik

As I said at the start , I wasn't focusing on where you play him and take your point about him self imploding etc , but the fact is we need something right now and we won't get that from the 'safe' picks.
Barker is so out of form or unfit ( or both ) but as he is Captain , he seems an automatic selection which is costing us.
If you see something in Gilbert , then please let me know , because I am clearlymissing it.
I agree that Mohsni would probably make more impact up front , but I just want Sturrock to pick him from the start - ANYWHERE !!!
We can either die a slow painful death in the next few months , or go down fighting.
I know which option I'd pcik

Ah so he has to play but you cant say where.

Mohsni to start this weekend out wide.
He's the most natural footballer and a top athlete.

He isnt better than Ryan Hall, so you would drop Martin who looked very good when he came on and could be great at supplying crosses for Moshni, but he cant because Mohsni is playing on the wing in his place. Moshni is also great in the air and not as good as crossing. Last night he started out wide and immediately drifted out of position and left Clohessy unprotected.

Bilel Mohsni may be a better player than Pat Baldwin but Baldwin is by far the better defender.

It's the Mohsni quandary, isn't it? We all know how good he is but where do you play him?

Exactly :)

Like I said Id put him up front, but not in front of the established strikers we have.

If philips is fit then he should play. Why not move Barker to left back and stick Either Mohsni or Baldwin to play next to philips? Mohsni is a victim of his own success really, able to play anywhere. I like him upfront maybe him and ryan hall?, could not do anyworse than last night

He isnt better than Ryan Hall, so you would drop Martin who looked very good when he came on and could be great at supplying crosses for Moshni, but he cant because Mohsni is playing on the wing in his place.

Fair point.
Maybe up top then.
Maybe at the back?

I think he just needs to be played.

Give him a free role!

Pretty sure thats where he plays wherever we put him :)

I certainly dont think he is the answer at the back for the same reason and makes the most difference up front. Last night he won pretty much every header that came his way in free play (against small defenders mind) and got on the end of most corners (which he could do as centre half of course).

If Mohsni was to play it has for me to be up front with Sampson with Martin and Hall supplying crosses.

Id still be tempted to use him as a super sub though.

It's been documented this season that Chris Barker has said "I can't play with him" in regards to Bilel

Sorry Scott i don't mean this to come across as sounding pedantic (but it will :blush:) you say "its been documented" .. did you mean its reported or alleged or its heresay, as the way you said it would indicate its been written down somewhere :unsure:

Sorry Scott i don't mean this to come across as sounding pedantic (but it will :blush:) you say "its been documented" .. did you mean its reported or alleged or its heresay, as the way you said it would indicate its been written down somewhere :unsure:

It was a friendly this season, I believe it was Ipswich but I could be wrong.

Bilel was off on one of his little rants at opposing players and the officials.

Whilst I didn't see or hear it was said on these very forums that Barker said 'I can't play with him' or something along those lines.

If philips is fit then he should play. Why not move Barker to left back and stick Either Mohsni or Baldwin to play next to philips? Mohsni is a victim of his own success really, able to play anywhere. I like him upfront maybe him and ryan hall?, could not do anyworse than last night

Cos his legs have gone IMHO. He has difficulty tracking back now as CB let alone trying to run overlaps at LB.

Future is Philips and Baldwin as CB, and Leonard as LB I think.

It was a friendly this season, I believe it was Ipswich but I could be wrong.

Bilel was off on one of his little rants at opposing players and the officials.

Whilst I didn't see or hear it was said on these very forums that Barker said 'I can't play with him' or something along those lines.

Hmm .. well if it was on SZ it must be true :smile: .. surely a "heat of a moment" outburst .. pretty unprofessional if not

I wish someone at the club would come out and say 'Mohsni is not a defender anymore, he is a winger.' That is where he is most effective, he has too much attacking threat to be a centre back. Plus when he is at the back he likes to run forward when we have the ball, does anyone really think having a CB going forward and leaving a gap in defence would have been a good idea against Swindon? While on the wing Bilel can run back if need be, and defend set pieces, while still displaying the attacking threat that makes him so unique for this club. He won't and shouldn't get in ahead of Martin and Hall which is why he is on the bench. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Mohsni start with Sampson against Plymouth up front, dropping Dicko down to the bench

Back