• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Billy Bests boot laces

President⭐⭐
Saw him in Asda's at Shoebury a couple of weeks ago. Still looks the part. I had my picture taken with him at the club's open day in 1972. Christ, i wish father time had been as kind to me as he has to Bill!.

Reading some of the threads and looking at just about every away programme Bill Garner is supposed to have played for us in that league cup game against Chelsea. No, it was Bobby Bennett. Garner was injured and took no part. I clearly remember standing in the north bank and watching the game. Chelsea had already decided to buy him before that game. Any one else remember this? clearly this historical inaccuracy needs to be rectified.

I thought Bill Garner played that night. Cant recall a Bobby Bennett?

I thought so too.IIRC this was the famous game where you couldn't change ends at ht-as many people used to do before then.
It was great to see him walk round the pitch at Stamford Bridge in the recent away cup game at Chelsea.He got a noticeably warmer reception from the Southend faithful as opposed to the(mostly) prawn cocktail lot who follow Chelski these days.

Reading some of the threads and looking at just about every away programme Bill Garner is supposed to have played for us in that league cup game against Chelsea. No, it was Bobby Bennett. Garner was injured and took no part. I clearly remember standing in the north bank and watching the game. Chelsea had already decided to buy him before that game. Any one else remember this? clearly this historical inaccuracy needs to be rectified.

Teams that night:

Sep 6 1972 League Cup second round
Southend...............0 Chelsea................1
Att: 24,160 Garland

Southend Bellotti, Ternant, Smith, Elliott, Albeson, Harrison, Johnson, Best, Garner, Bennett (Woods), Booth.
Chelsea Bonetti, Mulligan, McCreadie (c), Hollins, Webb, Harris, Garland, Kember, Osgood, Boyle, Houseman.
Chelsea signed Bill Garner the next day from Southend for £80,000.

It was great to see him walk round the pitch at Stamford Bridge in the recent away cup game at Chelsea.He got a noticeably warmer reception from the Southend faithful as opposed to the(mostly) prawn cocktail lot who follow Chelski these days.

Yep, thats the impression that i got too. Doubt more than 5,000 Chelsea fans there that day had a clue who he was!

Teams that night:

Sep 6 1972 League Cup second round
Southend...............0 Chelsea................1
Att: 24,160 Garland

Southend Bellotti, Ternant, Smith, Elliott, Albeson, Harrison, Johnson, Best, Garner, Bennett (Woods), Booth.
Chelsea Bonetti, Mulligan, McCreadie (c), Hollins, Webb, Harris, Garland, Kember, Osgood, Boyle, Houseman.
Chelsea signed Bill Garner the next day from Southend for £80,000.

Thanks for putting the record straight. I still dont remember Bobby Bennett!

He coached me for years, at Thorpe Hall school during the summer as a kid. Absolute arrogant arse, and was sacked in the end for allegedly stealing money.

Had my photo taken with him at the Blues open day at roots hall in 1972. Happy to say that he's aged more than me since then!. Mind you, may be because he's older?.

my memory is that we had trouble getting fit forwards, Gary Moore being injured and the squad being thin. Bennett therefore made his debut that evening and not surprisingly struggled a bit. Garner was amazing and Chelsea snapped him up - he had been expected to go to West Ham.
A few years later Tony Hadley made his debut in similar circumstances, injuries meaning he had to come into the side for a cup replay aginst QPR (then a top 1st Division club)

The following newspaper clipping found it's way to me yesterday. I always thought that Big bad Bill was snapped up by Chelsea immediately after our League Cup tie against them (wasn't aware of the Hamsters interest). Interestingly enough I did see Bill fill in between the sticks for Chels at Upton Park and he did ok (to a backdrop of carnage on the terraces) ;

(hope this works):dim:

SUFC+Bill+Garner+001.jpg

Blimey, saw the thread title and thought Bill Garner had been brought in on loan.

Now THAT would add a few to the Coventry gate!

The following newspaper clipping found it's way to me yesterday. I always thought that Big bad Bill was snapped up by Chelsea immediately after our League Cup tie against them (wasn't aware of the Hamsters interest). Interestingly enough I did see Bill fill in between the sticks for Chels at Upton Park and he did ok (to a backdrop of carnage on the terraces) ;

(hope this works):dim:

SUFC+Bill+Garner+001.jpg

You still on the old yahoo list then Jaffa ?

Try this

SUFC Bill Garner 001.jpg

Bill Garner joined Chelsea less than 48 hours after playing against them in Southend's 0-1(Chris Garland)home defeat in the League Cup match at Roots Hall. Both West Ham & Chelsea had agreed the fee(between 80,000/100,000) with Southend, so it was down to Bill to decide. Having chosen Chelsea it seems quite ironic that his debut the following Saturday was against West Ham at Stamford Bridge. Garner was chosen as the substitute(No.12,only 1 sub in those days) and was on the pitch within 10 minutes after an early injury to Alan Hudson, however with his first touch of the ball he collided with team mate Peter Osgood and damaged his ankle and spent the rest of the game hobbling on the left wing.
Bill Garner was out injured for about three weeks but scored the first goal when returning to first team action at Highfield Road in a 3-1 win against Coventry City. Garner despite suffering quite a few injuries in his time at Chelsea scored 31 league goals in less than 100 matches as well as another 5 in the F.A.Cup.

Back