• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Billericay Town

Will be hard pressed to meet Conf Natl requirements where they are now, not a hope for the FL.

There's a £3m renovation of the club house alone. There are pictures on their Twitter feed if anyone wants to have a look. They'll have 3G training pitches before us too. Maybe Ron could give GT a call and shift that dome before it's no good to anyone...

Every step up the ladder necessitates an improvement in every aspect of a stadium and the facilities, surprising what's actually involved in upgrading. Things like exit-ways and segregation are always a big problem for clubs. Unfortunately, having to rely on Blunts Wall Road as their main access for home and away supporters plus vehicles (for the lower car-park) isn't an ideal situation.

I've just had a look at companies house out of couriosity and he has resigned, dissolved or had liquidated a majority of the companies he has been a director of. Can't work out which business or businesses would be the successes to accumulate such wealth. Given billericay are not a sleeping giant, this doesn't seem to bode well for the club in the long term!

Mr T's finances and that of his various companies are no doubt heavily entwined. The last company he liquidated apparently went owing the taxman rather a lot of dosh. Ricay's AGP Arena is named after one of the AGP businesses, two have been dissolved and the only one with any assets has no cash and a couple of charge / mtge arrangements attached, both ongoing.

May well be the club is now financially entrenched as part of his steel empire, who knows. Handy for tax purposes all the same.

Hope their loyal longstanding supporters don't end up getting shafted.

So, if i now understand correctly Billericay now have 3 ex-Prem players (2 of which played at full international, one at u21), they have a 1.5m pa wage bill, and... their manager is a scrap metal dealer (a rich scrap metal dealer, but still at the end of the day he's a scrapper!)

what could possibly go wrong :smile:

At the level they are at right now I'd be surprised to see them get 2,000 through the gates every week even if they are walking the league they are in, away support in that league ain't big at all, get one step away from the football league and the crowds will get bigger, the boss will soon be moaning about what else he can do to get fans through the door just like Jeff King did at canvey island:stunned:

At the level they are at right now I'd be surprised to see them get 2,000 through the gates every week even if they are walking the league they are in, away support in that league ain't big at all, get one step away from the football league and the crowds will get bigger, the boss will soon be moaning about what else he can do to get fans through the door just like Jeff King did at canvey island:stunned:

I reckon they may get a few in at the start of the season, most out of curiosity, but it wont be sustainable

Looking at the odds, they are now 2/5 to win the title! You can get 16/1 on Dulwich Hamlet and 20/1 on Margate, who both must be in with a shout, especially when most teams will be 'up for it' against Billericay, who will also be under pressure not to fail.

Novelty factor will prevail for some while for the home games, especially as Tamplin has already stated they're effectively champions-elect. Away support at that level is pretty abysmal so they'll be relying on home fans for numbers, there again Ricay haven't a notable away following.

Novelty factor will prevail for some while for the home games, especially as Tamplin has already stated they're effectively champions-elect. Away support at that level is pretty abysmal so they'll be relying on home fans for numbers, there again Ricay haven't a notable away following.
yeah your right on that one, normally the Billericay away support joins the players all on the same coach:omg:

Different system operates in the world of non-league, no capping structure which is why so many clubs struggle financially. Dale Vince funded a £2m playing budget at Forest Green for the past few seasons in the chase for FL status, he'll not be able to do that in FL2 under salary capping.

Different system operates in the world of non-league, no capping structure which is why so many clubs struggle financially. Dale Vince funded a £2m playing budget at Forest Green for the past few seasons in the chase for FL status, he'll not be able to do that in FL2 under salary capping.

I think that owners can fund additional spending in Leagues 1 and 2 as long as the money is injected as equity (as opposed to loans). Not sure what's been going on at FGR to date but I suspect that the owner harbours no illusions about the likelihood of getting his millions back out of their revenues and might be prepared to continue making up shortfalls in what they need to be competitive. They're around the middle order in L2 with the bookies, which suggests that no imminent reality check is expected.

Believe the wage-cap is based upon turnover, I'm not so sure equity investment qualifies as part of turnover?

DV is the only reason FGR exist. With their revenues being so small it's highly unlikely he could (or would) claim for any
repayment. When Crawley joined the FL they had a different scheme in place to break the wage-cap which involved an imaginative representation of their income / turnover, the FL only caught on to it a year too late.

The equity issue in non-league depends on the set-up of the the club. These days a cash-injection by a director has to be logged as a non repayable donation (or equity stake). Too may problems arose in the past from such payments later being claimed as a repayable loan which in turn the club concerned had difficulty in repaying.

Here's a feature incorporating FGR's financials from 2012-2015, the figures for 2015/16 and 2016/17 followed a similar trend of upward wages and losses. Small club in the middle of no-where but as long as DV pumps in the dosh they live the dream.....

http://miltonsfootballfinance.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/forest-green-rovers-financials.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05996qn

Have a listen to this, after a recommendation from Sheriff to have a listen I gave it a whirl. He sounds like a humble bloke and puts everything into perspective. He's a West Ham fan so he's still a ****! But an interesting listen.

Believe the wage-cap is based upon turnover, I'm not so sure equity investment qualifies as part of turnover?

DV is the only reason FGR exist. With their revenues being so small it's highly unlikely he could (or would) claim for any
repayment. When Crawley joined the FL they had a different scheme in place to break the wage-cap which involved an imaginative representation of their income / turnover, the FL only caught on to it a year too late.

The equity issue in non-league depends on the set-up of the the club. These days a cash-injection by a director has to be logged as a non repayable donation (or equity stake). Too may problems arose in the past from such payments later being claimed as a repayable loan which in turn the club concerned had difficulty in repaying.

Here's a feature incorporating FGR's financials from 2012-2015, the figures for 2015/16 and 2016/17 followed a similar trend of upward wages and losses. Small club in the middle of no-where but as long as DV pumps in the dosh they live the dream.....

http://miltonsfootballfinance.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/forest-green-rovers-financials.html

A long read but, to me, just one outcome. Rhymes with "zoom", 4 letters and starts with a "d".

I can't vouch personally for the source and whether it's up to date, but I read about the Salary Cost Management Protocol (i.e. lower league FFP) here some time ago. The relevant section reads as follows (emphasis is mine):

Under the SCMP rules, the definition of 'Turnover' is particularly important as Turnover is used to determine the maximum wage-spend. Within a traditional accounting perspective, there are usually only three elements of turnover:

• Match-day Income
  • Commercial Income (such as sponsorship)
  • TV revenue (and any 'merit payments' based on league position)

However the Football League use a is broader definition of Turnover. Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. Loans from club owners are understandably not included in the Turnover figure as these would result in growing club debts. up club debts. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions. Manchester City and Leicester for example seem set for punishment for their excessive losses (from UEFA and the Championship respectively) despite the fact that the owners have injected hard cash into the club to finance the spending.

So it seems that the rules were written to permit investment while removing the ambiguities you describe with regard to donations vs loans. I'm not aware of any update to the rules as initially agreed being voted through by member clubs, but it's quite possible that I just missed it and will happily be corrected if anyone has more up to date info.

Financial rules and regs have been tightened-up in the last couple of seasons for clubs at Conf level - National, South and North - now have to submit financials to their respective leagues on a regular basis, believe its quarterly also a pre-season projection.

FGR's annual turnover doesn't appear to include monies pumped in by DV to date. No doubt he'll address that in order to obgtain / maintain as high a wage-cap as possible for FL2.

Bournemouth broke the FFP rules two seasons in a row, the second time in gaining promotion to the Prem resulted in a £7.6m fine. I reckon a revoking of their promotion would have had greater impact and sent out a stronger message.

Back