• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Billericay

Some of there players cannot make the full time switch to training every day as they have full time jobs to go to during the week, those that cannot turn up on certain days and times are being let go or sold.

Some of there players cannot make the full time switch to training every day as they have full time jobs to go to during the week, those that cannot turn up on certain days and times are being let go or sold.

It's not every day but they are looking to train three days a week. It's more that they are aiming for financial sustainability and a weekly wage budget of £10K. They had 30 players. Releasing 5 of the highest earners who were not regular starters under the new manager makes sense.
The exception was Robinson who they didn't want to let go and would have been happy with "full-time" status. He was expecting to play at Eastbourne but finished up with half a day's notice for a trip to Barrow. Maidstone offered a good chunk of their FA Cup money and made an offer they couldn't refuse.

Billericay won away 2-0. Free fall ??

Last edited:
Wow, 2-0 at Eastbourne, eh? Attaining financial sustainability has been touted for over two seasons, it still hasn't happened nor the mythical playing budget of sub £10k / week. Pinch of salt stuff.

Never been there, myself. Driven past a few times when en-route to Billericay Cricket Club. Might go to the Senior Cup match.

Is it possible they might sell the land?

I know the Cricket Club and possibly the Tennis Club, as well, have been offered a substantial amount for their land and were considering it last time I spoke to them.

Never been there, myself. Driven past a few times when en-route to Billericay Cricket Club. Might go to the Senior Cup match.

Is it possible they might sell the land?

I know the Cricket Club and possibly the Tennis Club, as well, have been offered a substantial amount for their land and were considering it last time I spoke to them.

"New Lodge, home to Billericay Town has been added to the long list of sports grounds registered as an Asset of Community Value.

Confirmation of the registration was received to the Billericay Town Supporters Trust from Basildon Council this week.

An Asset of Community Value is a “Community Right to Bid" and is part of a set of powers giving communities more control over what happens in their area and the important local amenities of value to them.

Rights are contained within the Localism Act 2011 which devolves power from government to communities, local authorities and individuals.

Rob Street, Secretary of Billericay Town Supporters Trust said of the registration;
"The board of the Billericay Town Supporters Society are delighted to have registered New Lodge as an Asset of Community Value.

We believe this gives our supporters an important safeguard and a real say if any change in ownership to the ground were ever proposed."

Hadn't realised BTFC had a Supporters Society / Trust. Pleased they now have this safeguard although I'd understood Basildon Council owned the actual site? Seen many matches there since the 80's but refuse to pay any money towards funding GT's ego trip.

Rumours of a take over. Some of the highest earners have to go to make it viable, as at the moment it's just another loss making rich mans play thing.

Rumours of a take over. Some of the highest earners have to go to make it viable, as at the moment it's just another loss making rich mans play thing.

Rich man's plaything ? any more than any other clubs with a rich man at the helm?

He's taken a club that was stagnating, at best, improved the stadium beyond all recognition, won a promotion and a few trophies, trebled, or even quadrupled, the crowd and staged many very entertaining matches. All that in just two years.

Agreed he's not, on the face of it, the most appealing of characters with his social media outbursts but I don't think there are too many Billericay supporters, new, old and returning, who haven't enjoyed the last two years immensely.

Hadn't realised BTFC had a Supporters Society / Trust. Pleased they now have this safeguard although I'd understood Basildon Council owned the actual site? Seen many matches there since the 80's but refuse to pay any money towards funding GT's ego trip.

As long as you're not paying over the odds for non-league football, you're not funding his ego trip. He's funding that himself. The last couple of years have seen the best football at New Lodge since the halcyon days of the 70s and all those Wembley appearances.

Your loss, not his.

Rich man's plaything ? any more than any other clubs with a rich man at the helm?

He's taken a club that was stagnating, at best, improved the stadium beyond all recognition, won a promotion and a few trophies, trebled, or even quadrupled, the crowd and staged many very entertaining matches. All that in just two years.

Agreed he's not, on the face of it, the most appealing of characters with his social media outbursts but I don't think there are too many Billericay supporters, new, old and returning, who haven't enjoyed the last two years immensely.

I know what he's done for the club and the Billericay supporters were blessed that he came along. Pumping huge amounts of money into a club like that will always bring success and increase attendances hugely. Some of the players he bought in were leagues above in standard of the league they were playing in with Billericay. So of course the entertainment was better.
Now it's a big loss making machine, and unless he can find another Millionaire willing to carry on pumping and losing money, then cuts to that big squad and salaries have to be made. It looks like that has started.

Loss to me? Oh, I think not and would still consider paying entrance money to watch players signed on ridiculously high contracts as helping fund his ego trip. But as you appear to admire him so much so be it.

The 70s (and 80s) were played at a lower level in the Isthmian leagues and other than the Vase successes I don't recall them being a notably outstanding playing side during that time. There again, maybe you were a regular there perhaps and know different ? Or not.....

I know what he's done for the club and the Billericay supporters were blessed that he came along. Pumping huge amounts of money into a club like that will always bring success and increase attendances hugely. Some of the players he bought in were leagues above in standard of the league they were playing in with Billericay. So of course the entertainment was better.
Now it's a big loss making machine, and unless he can find another Millionaire willing to carry on pumping and losing money, then cuts to that big squad and salaries have to be made. It looks like that has started.

Which would suggest, financially speaking, he runs the club in the same haphazard manner as he does his many companies, before they have tendency to be shut down to avoid paying monies to HMRC......(the latter is well-known fact).

Loss to me? Oh, I think not and would still consider paying entrance money to watch players signed on ridiculously high contracts as helping fund his ego trip. But as you appear to admire him so much so be it.

The 70s (and 80s) were played at a lower level in the Isthmian leagues and other than the Vase successes I don't recall them being a notably outstanding playing side during that time. There again, maybe you were a regular there perhaps and know different ? Or not.....

Of course I don't admire him "so much" but I am happy he has spent his money in the way he has. If he walked away now Billericay Town FC is in a much better place than when he arrived. Yes he went for a number of high profile names in the first instance but the most influential signings have been good solid non-league players.

Granted they were still working their way up, but the 70s were outstandingly successful with 7 League wins in 10 seasons as well as winning the FA Vase 3 times in 4 seasons. And yes, I was a regular watcher throughout that period ....... when not at Southend !

Back