• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Billericay

Whether you like Tamplin or not the vast improvements he has made to the stadium and facilities etc are a massive positive that the club will benefit from for many years

Whether you like Tamplin or not the vast improvements he has made to the stadium and facilities etc are a massive positive that the club will benefit from for many years

The Rushden and Diamond chairman spent a load of money on their stadium and look how that turned out.

Of course I don't admire him "so much" but I am happy he has spent his money in the way he has. If he walked away now Billericay Town FC is in a much better place than when he arrived. Yes he went for a number of high profile names in the first instance but the most influential signings have been good solid non-league players.

Granted they were still working their way up, but the 70s were outstandingly successful with 7 League wins in 10 seasons as well as winning the FA Vase 3 times in 4 seasons. And yes, I was a regular watcher throughout that period ....... when not at Southend !

Do you recall the (temporary) wooden bench-seating across from the clubhouse? Pretty decent attendances too back then. Being the pre-eminent team in the ESL / Athenian at the time (70's) perhaps not surprising they won both regularly, akin to Sudbury's achievement year after year as top team in Eastern Counties (when they kept refusing promotion up a level) but I'd guess most people still remember BTFC's Vase exploits more than anything else.

The Rushden and Diamond chairman spent a load of money on their stadium and look how that turned out.

The Brighton chairman spent a load of money on their stadium and look how that turned out.

As with so many things, there are successes and failures.

We have avoided, for now, being either by not making any noticeable progress on the ground in the 18 years since it was first mooted.

The Brighton chairman spent a load of money on their stadium and look how that turned out.

As with so many things, there are successes and failures.

We have avoided, for now, being either by not making any noticeable progress on the ground in the 18 years since it was first mooted.

You can’t compare Brighton with Billericay. The more realistic comparisons are the likes of Rushden and Darlington both have been huge fails. Salford would be a good comparison with less egotistical owners but a success thus far.

Shame about Nene park, tidy little ground that. There are several more (non-league) clubs that could be mentioned under a boom and bust heading.

Shame about Nene park, tidy little ground that. There are several more (non-league) clubs that could be mentioned under a boom and bust heading.
I remember some local money bags chucking a load of cash at Stambridge Utd, albeit briefly in the very late 80s, they signed Alan Brazil IIRC. They were winning games by 8 goals or more, until the plug was pulled and they were getting beaten by similar scorelines.

Tiny Gretna FC also came from non league obscurity in Scotland to the premier league, and got to a Scots cup final, but the club died when their benefactor owner Brookes Mileson passed away.

I see Anthony straker is the captain tonight for bath v billericay.

Not just that, Bath's keeper was Ryan Clarke, our one-game goalkeeper from that wonderful match (unless you prefer Terry Alderton's version :Winking:).

The match was refereed by James Durkin, son of Paul Durkin who stepped down from Premier League duties to referee that re-arranged end of season match against Mansfield after the tragic death of Mike North, a friend of his.

I understand that Billericay are turning professional and changing their training schedule so those players are leaving because they cant attend training sessions due to work commitments.

Hornchurch V2

I believe they are trying to halve their wage bill so that GT can walk away leaving no debt.
The new owner wants 10k a week , it was up to 22k at one stage...

Tamplin has gone into hiding a bit over the last couple of weeks, no silly posts on twitter or anything, certainly getting the wage bill cut at the club.

I understand that Billericay are turning professional and changing their training schedule so those players are leaving because they cant attend training sessions due to work commitments.

Those players being their highest paid, purely coincidence?

Looks like their cost cutting measures isn't exactly paying off, as they've been spanked in their last two games, 4-0 against Woking & 5-1 against Chelmsford.

Looks like their cost cutting measures isn't exactly paying off, as they've been spanked in their last two games, 4-0 against Woking & 5-1 against Chelmsford.
Yeah and what’s happened to Sam deering, not even in the squad yesterday, not sure Alfie potter was either, maybe the next two players to go.

Back