• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Billy Best & Gary Moore - The Legends Return

Shrimperstrust

Supporting SUFC
It was forty years ago next weekend that a never to be broken record was established by two Southend United Legends, Billy Best and Gary Moore.

Both scored hat-tricks in the First and Second Rounds of the F.A. Cup in the 1968/69 Season with the first pair coming against Kings Lynn on 16th November 1968 as the Shrimpers won 9-0. Billy and Gary netted three goals each on that occasion, and followed that up on Saturday 7th December 1968 in a 10-1 demolition of Brentwood Town. This time Billy Best scored five, including what was then the fastest recorded hat-trick, and Gary Moore four.

Both ex-shrimpers will also be visiting the Shrimpers Bar prior to the match tomorrow to chat with supporters and sign autographs.

For further details click here.

Message to Mods: Hope you don't mind this being put in the main forum, it would be nice to get as many supporters in The Shrimpers Bar before the Game to meet Billy & Gary.

Last edited:
It was forty years ago next weekend that a never to be broken record was established by two Southend United Legends, Billy Best and Gary Moore.

Both scored hat-tricks in the First and Second Rounds of the F.A. Cup in the 1968/69 Season with the first pair coming against Kings Lynn on 16th November 1968 as the Shrimpers won 9-0. Billy and Gary netted three goals each on that occasion, and followed that up on Saturday 7th December 1968 in a 10-1 demolition of Brentwood Town. This time Billy Best scored five, including what was then the fastest recorded hat-trick, and Gary Moore four.

Both ex-shrimpers will also be visiting the Shrimpers Bar prior to the match tomorrow to chat with supporters and sign autographs.

For further details click here.

Message to Mods: Hope you don't mind this being put in the main forum, it would be nice to get as many supporters in The Shrimpers Bar before the Game to meet Billy & Gary.

Drat! Would be great to have a chance to thank them for the hours of pleasure that they gave us over the years, but no chance of getting down. Great effort by the Trust to organise this, hope you get hordes down to meet them tomorrow.

Didn't it go something like.......

HE'S HERE.......
HE'S THERE.....
HE'S EVERY F*****G WHERE....
BILLY BEST.....BILLY BEST

One of THE theme tunes of the sixties/seventies! Shame I won't be there to see him......
.....them.

Last edited:
Blimey, they were my Idols, ahem many years before I was born of course..:'(

I shall be there wiv me new autograph book..:)

Please note that Billy & Gary will be arriving in the Shrimpers Bar at around 12.45 and will be there for around 30 to 45 mins max as they will be having dinner prior to the game in the Platimum Suite.

They were a good pairing...First full season of my support...I went to both games.The excitement heightened even more when we quite unexpectedly went on to beat a good Swindon side AWAY in 3rd round.

The original Little and Large Double Act or Smash [Moore] and Grab [Best]

Crikey was it really 40 years ago, we have all since qualified for Saga policies, and cheap they are too !!

Was privilleged to be at both two. Really was a case of Lambs to the slaughter although I think Brentwood actually pulled it back to 1.1 before Billy and Gary put them to the sword. Funny how you never get that score line nowadays.... is it formations are more deffensive, the standard of non league has got better or league has just got worse?

Going up in my loft to try and find the programmes for them to sign...... might have to take a long stretch of string to find my way back through all the toot to the hatch!

Good introduction by the Man on the Mike " Please give a big hand to Billy Best and Gary Nelson". I am sorry but that is completely un-acceptable.

Good introduction by the Man on the Mike " Please give a big hand to Billy Best and Gary Nelson". I am sorry but that is completely un-acceptable.

Came over loud and clear on Blues World. Toe-curlingly embarrasing, who was the Mikemangler?

Peter Holmes, the sad man from the radio. He is not a patch on Brian Wheeler, he thinks he is still on Pillock FM.

Can't we get shot of him? Its one c ock up after another. A nice bloke, but a shocking announcer! :punch:

my dad told me a really interesting story that when he was teenager him and his friends would go to every away game, make there own way up meet billy best outside the entrance and he would give them 2 free tickets and after the game if there was enough room they used to go on the players coach and get a lift home.

today my old man was shocked when billy best come over to him as he remembered him from all those years ago and took the time to have a chat. he was made up as billy was his idol back then.

Back