• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was the greater Southend legend?

• John Kurila

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was only a nipper when I saw Billy Best, but I remember the excitement when he was playing and if I recall correctly, I think he rarely missed when he was in for a shot. Am I right in remembering that he got quite a few headed goals for a littl'un?

I don't recall much about John Kurila's game except that he was sturdy in the tackle. He used to be a chippy and he did some work at our house when I was a kid. I was all shy in his presence as he was a footballer and even at my tender age (6/7), footballers were already elevated to the status of gods.

Hmmm! You have chosen my all time favourite player...No not JK, but the fabulous, goal scorer supremo and all round nice guy, the guy who scored 9 goals in two consecutive rounds of the FA Cup (is this a record, I never did find out for sure?) BB or Bloody Brilliant.

Billy Best was most peoples favourite. I remember asking my Nan if Southend had a football team and if she knew any players, and Best was the only one she named, based on the FA Cup goals v Brentwood and Kings Lynn the year before (there is some record there - not sure what.)

He also I think got the fastest hat trick, away v Peterboro I recall, and I remember Dickie Davies on World of Sport announcing the goals on the teleprinter.

When you think about it, we all seem to think we had some fantastic players back then... but we were still stuck 3/4 of the way down Division 4 so perhaps the team wasn't as great as we thought.

Anyway, Best v Kurila the Gorilla? No contest.

Billy Best all the way for me, your talking about a player who would be in a lot of fans all time team.

l loved Kurila - what a guy to have on your side -what a heart and tough as hell.
But ................................poor devil's up against the Best.

Yes yes ------ Billy is the Best
Billy Best
Billy Best

He's here
He's there

He's every f.....g where

Billy,Billy,Billy Best

I believe that was the song we sang.
And that means that the Gorilla comes 2nd

Shame Really

John Kurila looked like he should have been in The Munsters but he was a no nosence centre half, one of the best I've seen in a Southend shirt but Billy Best was an amazing goal scorer. Really upset when he went back to Northampton.

It will have to be Billy but John would have beaten many in other match ups.

For some reason John Kurila was called Joe by the Southend or better still killer, a no nonsense centre back who seemed to be all arms and legs.

Billy Best was quite simply my all time Blues favourite player, we may have had players with greater skills who played at a higher level, but IMO Billy Best was incomparable.

This is probably the most one sided contest since I suggested arm wrestling with her indoors to decide whether we visited the in laws or not, couldnt use my arm for days!

John Kurila tough tackling 100% defender but probably not the first name that springs to mind when naming any all time favourite southend team.

Billy Best well what can you say, i`m sure we all have memories of his goalscoring exploits and the two cup games already mentioned on here where IIRC against brentwood he scored what was at the time the fastest ever hat trick. My memory is his second half hat trick against high flying grimsby not long after he joined us and the atmosphere on the old north back. Brilliant

So must be best by a mile but JK does deserve a vote or two in recognition of his whole hearted commitment to the cause.

For some reason John Kurila was called Joe by the Southend or better still killer, a no nonsense centre back who seemed to be all arms and legs.

Billy Best was quite simply my all time Blues favourite player, we may have had players with greater skills who played at a higher level, but IMO Billy Best was incomparable.

I feel the same way. Kurila was a half way decent centre defender, who always seemed to give 110% commitment, but Billy Best was simply the very best, he was completely incomparable.

I feel the same way. Kurila was a half way decent centre defender, who always seemed to give 110% commitment, but Billy Best was simply the very best, he was completely incomparable.

I expect training matches would have been interesting with these two pitted against each other.

As much as I liked John K - it has to be Billy - particularly for all those headed goals (yes Shrimpero great header for a small bloke)

Back