• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Just heard the news that one of the all time great strikers will be back at Roots Hall tomorrow to watch his former clubs do battle. I have told him to bring his boots as he may well get a game, to which he replied " I am now almost 70 years old and just not fit enough, he also said it's almost 40 years since he left Southend where the hell has the time gone. For all of the misty eyed brigade if you see him tomorrow give him a great welcome he was and still is "SIMPLY THE BEST" to many legions of fans of a certain age.

yes one of the best put todays lot to shame class act at lower level,:Worthy:legend at southend and northamton

Nearly 43 years since I saw him get all four goals in a 4-3 win at Peterborough and even longer when he got five against Brentwood in the cup!

Class act.

our best player ever,did anyone meet him?have a beer with him?did he get the reception he deserves?

our best player ever,did anyone meet him?have a beer with him?did he get the reception he deserves?
Billy & his wife spent the weekend visiting places they remember when he played here including a visit to former team-mate Andy Smillie at his cafe at the arches along the seafront at Westcliff, after he went to the match but did not go onto the pitch as I think he wanted to keep it low key although I think he could have. I caught up with him after the match in the Blues Lounge for a drink & a chat talking about the halcyon days from the late 60's early 70's. However my personal highlight was on Sunday morning when he came round to my house for about an hour before travelling back home to Northampton. I loved him when I was a lad of 18 & 40 years later nothing has changed he was & still is an absolute legend at our football club and long may it continue.

Never saw him play myself but any time Southend greats of the past came up for discussion my Dad and canveyshrimper would both mention Billy Best's name in an instant.

For those of us who never saw the great man play for Southend, any stories from those who do are always welcomed!

He was one of those rare breed of strikers, who formed a lethal partnership with more than one partner, ie Gary Moore and Bill Garner at different times. 'Billy Best, Billy Best, he's here he's there, were not allowed to swear, Billy Best, Billy Best.' remember it like it was last week!

He was one of those rare breed of strikers, who formed a lethal partnership with more than one partner, ie Gary Moore and Bill Garner at different times. 'Billy Best, Billy Best, he's here he's there, were not allowed to swear, Billy Best, Billy Best.' remember it like it was last week!

He's ****ing everywhere.
A great player and certainly one of the best ever to wear the shirt in my time as a supporter.
I'll never forget seeing him,Sammy MacMillan and John Mckinven, as a starstruck kid, round our house talking to my father about doing a bit of temporary building work in the summer,back in the 60's.
Things have certainly changed for professional footballers since those times.

Billy & his wife spent the weekend visiting places they remember when he played here including a visit to former team-mate Andy Smillie at his cafe at the arches along the seafront at Westcliff, after he went to the match but did not go onto the pitch as I think he wanted to keep it low key although I think he could have. I caught up with him after the match in the Blues Lounge for a drink & a chat talking about the halcyon days from the late 60's early 70's. However my personal highlight was on Sunday morning when he came round to my house for about an hour before travelling back home to Northampton. I loved him when I was a lad of 18 & 40 years later nothing has changed he was & still is an absolute legend at our football club and long may it continue.

thanks for the info,sad more fans did not meet him.pleased you had a great time.the great man meets the great fan.:smile:

Never seen anyone better in Blues shirt and yes I include the wonderful Stanley in my assessment.
Best was just relentless and like Sir Stanley he was/is a truly decent man

I think all the comments made on here just sum up what it was like supporting the Blues at that time when BILLY BEST WAS KING (he was always such a modest man and is still the same to this day)I know that quite a few people consider the 1968-69 season as good as any,although we never reached the promised land until the early '90's. We always seemed to be scoring goals for fun at that time. Sometimes when we went to midweek away games we would get a lift home on the players coach arriving home early hours of the morning(I doubt this would happen today). Also after most home matches(win/lose/draw)the players would come into the Shrimpers Club and have a drink with the fans. "HAPPY DAYS"

That news warms my heart. It would have been an honour to meet him. There is so little about him when you Google him. Anyone know if there is any film of his playing days?:unsure:

Back